• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    I was given a Mossberg 500a Persuader the other day. The gun has been scrubbed down to the bare metal, with slight rust pitting along the barrel. The receiver had a tac saddle mounted and the pin holes are no longer smooth. Action is fully functional, but the firearm itself is in rough shape.

Other than just spraying it with some hi-temp flat black paint, what would be your method of refinishing this firearm?

RG99

Jun 10, 2012
    Pasadena Md
    It really boils down to cost. If your looking for a good finish and DIY then i recommend duracoat. If you are willing to put out the money then i recommend cerekote. Gunkote is also very good. Never tried alumihide but from what I have read it is pretty durable. Mostly any finish can come out well as long as you prep the surface well. Hope I helped.

krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA
    I'm not an expert but I wouldn't trust a spray paint alone. I would go with whatever ends up being the most conveniently located not-to-expensive "true" refinishing available around you. Bluing, Parkerizing, CeraKote, etc., any of those would probably be better than nothing, or at least better than paint. And of course apply oil as much as needed. I recommend Eezox.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Skip the side saddle. Use velcro.

Electrolysis bathe the bits to remove rust.

Depending on time, expectations, intended use.... rust blue, spray paint, etc.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Depends on your absolute inexpensive vs pretty viewpoint. I've done an entire revolver in Brownell T-4 ( professional grade cold blue. While it wouldn't be mistaken for new , it was a 300% improvement. For the reciever and trigger gaurd you would need to do somthing else, maybe the above mentioned Alumahide.

I picked up a Western Auto .12g pump about 10 years ago. Traded a guy a 20' nylon "snatch" strap (like for getting Jeeps/4x4's unstuck).

It was hard to say which was uglier - the strap or the gun. But the action was still nice and slick, but the gun itself had some nasty pitting and almost no finish left. It was safe and functional, but as ugly as two naked fat chicks wrestling in a wading pool filled with mayonaise.

So I took the wood off, sand and refinished it, then wirewheeled the receiver and barrel down to bare metal, then painted it with Rustoleum "hammered" finish in copper color.

It looked AWESOME. Very tough paint finish, too, much more so than regualr spraypaint. The irregular, bumpy surface of the hammered paint completely hid the pitting and scars.

It looked like a steampunk shotgun.

Sold it a year later for $400. Wish I had pics... It was awesome looking.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I was given a Mossberg 500a Persuader the other day. The gun has been scrubbed down to the bare metal, with slight rust pitting along the barrel. The receiver had a tac saddle mounted and the pin holes are no longer smooth. Action is fully functional, but the firearm itself is in rough shape.

Other than just spraying it with some hi-temp flat black paint, what would be your method of refinishing this firearm?

gun-kote is the best money to quality ratio. duracoat is just sherwin williams proline garage/house paint sold under a different trade name, it is basically crap that will scrub off with a soak and some toothbrushing.

I've gunkoted a couple guns and kinves and subjected them to HEAVY use and other than slight (and I mean SLIGHT) wear inside the magwell where I didn't do such good prep work, everything else is 100% looking brand new. The only coating better is cerakote, but that's balls expensive.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    After some sort of rust removal and preparation id recommend manganese phosphate parkerizing. Leaves it with a dark mean old school look. Or a nice classic bluing would loo great too. Unless you wanna go tacticool and do an off the wall paint/bake/$250 finish.

S6T6

Dec 23, 2012
    Just for kicks spray paint it pink and take it to the range one day to see the looks you get :)

If you've got the money try the cerakote in a flat dark earth or if you like flat black just parkerize it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom