• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amsmlmssml

Feb 2, 2012
    Northern Frederick County
    I know this sounds crazy but coming home from work yesterday I had a doe cross the road in front of me about 50 yards away. I had plenty of time to slow down expecting more. About the time I reached the spot where she crossed a very nice 8 pt. (still with horns)crosses. I stop and watch her nervously run from the buck who is now on her trail nose to the ground mouth open. I know that there is a late rut but come on, late February!

amsmlmssml

Feb 2, 2012
    Northern Frederick County
    Can't really say for sure Ab. I really don't see many deer at all anymore while hunting. 10 years ago tons of deer, mostly does though and junk bucks. Between liberal bag limits and staff at Catoctin Mountain Park killing dang near everything that moves, not much around anymore. The ratio at that time was way out of wack. Don't get me wrong, the quality of bucks has improved IMO but it may be time to limit harvest in my neck of the woods.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    The crux of the situation is that if this doe is bred and has a doe (or more) then that doe will probably go into a really late estrus cycle next year as well.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    I have seen rut activity in February in Montgomery County and Rock Creek park in DC, both areas have too many does. I've also seen small fawns with spots early in the archery season that were probably from a third or fourth rut period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom