• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • walt54th

Sep 11, 2017
    How about your slide; OEM or aftermarket?

I’ve built a few in several calibers and had this issue with a custom aftermarket slide. Switched to OEM and the problem went away. Polishing, lubing and racking a bunch are all good ideas too. The custom slide maker claimed their tolerances were tighter than OEM and the issue was my frame; not their product. Maybe so.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yeah the slide i'm trying it with is oem glock 35 gen 3. the extractor pointy end is sticking up just a hair too high.

i got a reply back from polymer80. i sent them pics and they said the grip holes are drilled too high. the frame was in the jig and i drilled perpendicular to the jig and the jig holes look perfectly round after i drilled thru them. so either there was slop in the jig (not my fault) or the jig holes were out of place (also not my fault).

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    yeah the slide i'm trying it with is oem glock 35 gen 3. the extractor pointy end is sticking up just a hair too high.

i got a reply back from polymer80. i sent them pics and they said the grip holes are drilled too high. the frame was in the jig and i drilled perpendicular to the jig and the jig holes look perfectly round after i drilled thru them. so either there was slop in the jig (not my fault) or the jig holes were out of place (also not my fault).

So are they sending you a new one?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Might as well find the actual areas causing the dragging. Use a sharpie and mark everything which would be a reciprotating contact surface. Move the slide back and forth a few times. Look for areas rubbed hard and shiny. These indicate disproportionate contact pressure points. Just stone or use your polishing cloth to relieve those areas until the slide movement is smooth. Of course, some things, like the disconnector rail, may show harder contact which would be normal.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    So are they sending you a new one?

he said he'd give me a discount on another one. that's when i replied i did everything according to their jig and instructions, so not real interested in paying more than what i already have. awaiting his response.

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg

Which operation did you do first, drill the holes or remove the chunks at the slide?

Although I agree with the break in advise (in general), you can clearly see that the extractor is way too proud, and there's no amount of break in that will fix that.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Which operation did you do first, drill the holes or remove the chunks at the slide?

Although I agree with the break in advise (in general), you can clearly see that the extractor is way too proud, and there's no amount of break in that will fix that.

drilled the holes first.

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    drilled the holes first.

Then they should replace it. You followed the instructions and this was the unfortunate outcome. Good Luck, i've known a few people who didn't follow the instructions and were still helped out in the end by P80, they usually make things right.

lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    With both sets of rails pinned and installed I have had to file/stone/sand rails into a flat plane.

Have had to square up underside corners of the rear rails too.

Have had a rear trigger housing block that rocked/rotated in its pocket and that was remidied with a credit card shim glued to the forward side of the pocket to take up the space that allowed the movement to take place.

teppou

Jan 20, 2014
    Then they should replace it. You followed the instructions and this was the unfortunate outcome. Good Luck, i've known a few people who didn't follow the instructions and were still helped out in the end by P80, they usually make things right.

Yeah, P80 is pretty good about that. I was very careful about drilling the holes through the jig, and the front rails still ended up tilted down. Even after polishing and filing, it was almost too tight for a slide, and wouldn't cycle. P80 replaced it, and the same thing happened. They replaced again, and even though I was kind of fed up with it and drilled with less care than before, it came out just fine. I heard at the time that some of their jigs were off by just enough to cause a problem.

Here's a picture (hopefully) showing the angle of the front rails relative to the rear rails.

Attachments

• p80_20190101_103152.jpg
      p80_20190101_103152.jpg
      75.2 KB · Views: 425

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I heard at the time that some of their jigs were off by just enough to cause a problem.

maybe being that i bought a discontinued 'brownells aggressive grip' model the jig was one of the older ones.

frankly i just wanted to try the poly 80 version because of the supposed better grip angle vs regular glocks. if they do offer to replace, i might see if they could just send me a finished one of these and i'll just do the background check. cheaper for them (no jig), more expensive for me (background check fee), but easier for me and takes 'me' out of the equation.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i guess they just want to keep the jig costs super low. but i really prefer the super heavy duty metal jigs, router collars, etc for the 80% AR lowers. a lot harder to mess up the drilling and routing given the thickness of the jig and the router collar made it real hard to dig into what you weren't supposed to dig into.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i thought i did read about good customer service at polymer80, but i ain't getting it. from the pics he says i mis-drilled the holes and he'd be more than happy to send me another one for $99, which is more than i paid for the one i have. given i read and followed the directions, using their jig/holes and bits, and there is no indication on the jig otherwise, not very happy with them.

teppou

Jan 20, 2014
    i thought i did read about good customer service at polymer80, but i ain't getting it. from the pics he says i mis-drilled the holes and he'd be more than happy to send me another one for $99, which is more than i paid for the one i have. given i read and followed the directions, using their jig/holes and bits, and there is no indication on the jig otherwise, not very happy with them.

Sorry to hear that, they were pretty decent with me a year or so ago. And, yes, I had the Brownell's model. I tried everything to verify that I didn't mess up the process, including pics showing the straightedge along the rails, and I put the frame back in the jig to show that I'd drilled exactly where their holes were in the jig. They even sent me a locking block rail that they'd verified in their own frame, and it still didn't work in mine, so I sent it back. All my communication with them was via email, with Nicky and Shannon, so maybe you can call and ask for them. Shannon's email indicated that she was the Support Lead Supervisor. (Don't everybody swamp them now.)

Good luck, I hope you get a better resolution from them.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    So can one use the newer plastic jig to avoid this issue? I presume they're reusable. Other than color, the one below might be the same Brownell's P80 with the aggressive grip texture. Probably explains the nice price.
    ab8b08a13f00134b29b67abec3759b88.jpg

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So can one use the newer plastic jig to avoid this issue? I presume they're reusable. Other than color, the one below might be the same Brownell's P80 with the aggressive grip texture. Probably explains the nice price.
    ab8b08a13f00134b29b67abec3759b88.jpg

Their jigs are intended to be single use.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks. Gifted this item too. Going to give the friend a heads-up, and then see how much to purchase the jig alone.

I don’t see any reason they can’t be used more than once, if you’re careful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom