• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    I've been told there have been no confirmed sightings locally of coyotes.

Also been told if you have foxes, you won't have coyotes and if you don't have foxes you have coyotes as the coyotes don't like competition. I've got foxes everywhere.

Incorrect. DNR finally admitted a few years ago that coyote populations are established in every MD county. They will kill any fox they come across, but they don't get them all. I've caught both on the same night within 50 yards of each other.

As for your deer, coyote are the most likely culprit. Bobcat sometimes do the same, but its unlikely in your area. Bear are even more unlikely. Even if you've got one around, they'd likely take the deer with them.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Bobcat?

any tracks nearby.

I've seen foxes tear little pieces off of a deer and flee. Tails. Tarsal glands. Ears.

I looked for tracks yesterday, nothing but deer tracks, but the ground around and near it was totally leaf covered. Even checked a stream area about 30 yards from the small deer and no sign of tracks of any kind.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Incorrect. DNR finally admitted a few years ago that coyote populations are established in every MD county. They will kill any fox they come across, but they don't get them all. I've caught both on the same night within 50 yards of each other.

As for your deer, coyote are the most likely culprit. Bobcat sometimes do the same, but its unlikely in your area. Bear are even more unlikely. Even if you've got one around, they'd likely take the deer with them.

Beginning to think it is coyote.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    The guy trapping foxes here retired and I have not been able to find someone else interested. The fox population seems to have exploded this year and I seem to see one or more every couple of days. They seem to be in breeding season now as well. I guess that is why I thought this might be fox activity.

Presumptuous

Awesome Member
    Aug 17, 2016
    Suburbia
    I can also confirm coyotes in Howard County, at least. I saw one trotting up my neighbor's driveway, and some nights they make an awful lot of noise.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Bobcats do that, never seen any sign of a fox doing it though.

As to foxes and coyotes in the same area? You better tell the red foxes in Harford about this coyote thing lol. Like the ones that walk through the same snow and mud same night as the coyote(s), or the foxes who made a highway to a bait pile, all while a pair of coyotes were hitting the same pile same nights. Or the 15 foxes I have caught at the farm where the tracks are side by side in the mud.

Attachments

• foxhighwaywalkers.jpg
      foxhighwaywalkers.jpg
      66.8 KB · Views: 99

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    They're brazen too.

Saw one last Saturday morning trotting down the middle of Edmund Street in Aberdeen like it owned the place. When the neighborhood dogs lit off, including my own, it pulled a U turn and disappeared into the wood line behind the elementary school.

Send it a tad north to one of my traps please lol.

Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    A friend has property near 108 near the patuxent river. They have had a pack of canines harassing their horse, and property. Described them and coyote-wolves.

Predhunter

Jan 9, 2017
    This is called caching. Foxes, bobcat and coyotes do it. Just have to comb the area to look for scat or tracks of the culprit ,or put up a game camera.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Bobcats do that, never seen any sign of a fox doing it though.

As to foxes and coyotes in the same area? You better tell the red foxes in Harford about this coyote thing lol. Like the ones that walk through the same snow and mud same night as the coyote(s), or the foxes who made a highway to a bait pile, all while a pair of coyotes were hitting the same pile same nights. Or the 15 foxes I have caught at the farm where the tracks are side by side in the mud.

Thanks for chiming-in, I guess I'll have to accept that I was misinformed in the past and need to play catch-up and learn about coyotes more.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A friend has property near 108 near the patuxent river. They have had a pack of canines harassing their horse, and property. Described them and coyote-wolves.

There are plenty of hunters and trappers here willing to help...

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    This is called caching. Foxes, bobcat and coyotes do it. Just have to comb the area to look for scat or tracks of the culprit ,or put up a game camera.

Foxes and yotes dig holes to cache, not cover with brush. This is why the dirt hole set is so deadly, it looks like a dug out cache and they have to go check it out.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    IMG_0431.jpg

Another angle of the same deer. Note the hair to the left and the condition of the neck.

I was leaning more to a coyote, now I am thinking the possibility of a bobcat which are not supposed to be here at all. This is Queen Anne's county.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom