• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Hey All, I've got an old Poulan Pro that cuts like a dream..when it's working. A friend gave it to me after not using it for a good while and I've used it a couple of times. It seems to loose power every now and again and figured it could use a quick tune up. Anybody know of anyone around Denton, Easton, cambridge or even the delaware area? Thanks.

GodOfVice

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Depending on size you probably have a 140 - 150 dollar saw new. Many shops will make it cost prohibitive to fix. Check your air filter, carb adjustment and plug. All else fails go to Lowes and buy another if a low end saw will suffice.

dieselfarmboy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    Snow Hill, MD
    Sadly it will be cheaper to buy the exact saw brand new. You can but a 20 inch Poulan Pro for around $200. Just in parts alone for a FULL tune up (plug, air filter, carb rebild, fuel filter, any maybe fuel lines) your close to $100 with out labor.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Sounds like a fuel problem to me. A carb rebuild kit and new fuel lines would cost about $15 in parts.
    Lots of video on the web on how to rebuild a carb. If nothing else it would be a good learning experience.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    All, thanks for all the info. I'm kind of attached to my older tools so I think I will give it a go on my own. Never really messed with engines much, but as you said Don, it's a learning experience. I actually bought a fixer upper house for the education a few years back, learned electrical, hvac, plumbing, flooring, and it was by far the best tuition I ever spent. Thank you all again for the guidance.

243hunter

Oct 26, 2012
    Illinois
    Sadly it will be cheaper to buy the exact saw brand new. You can but a 20 inch Poulan Pro for around $200. Just in parts alone for a FULL tune up (plug, air filter, carb rebild, fuel filter, any maybe fuel lines) your close to $100 with out labor.

Plug $2.5-3.00
    air filter around $3.00 if it is the foam one.
    fuel filter around $5
    Don't rebuilt the carb since a complete carb runs in the neighborhood of $22-27 the newer saws use a primer bulb that requires check valves inside the carb to work, they have a bad habit of sticking open when you pull the carb apart, and if they don't reseal it will not prime.
    fuel lines are around $5, but can be a pain to install

I'm a poulan service center/dealer

GodOfVice

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Plug $2.5-3.00
    air filter around $3.00 if it is the foam one.
    fuel filter around $5
    Don't rebuilt the carb since a complete carb runs in the neighborhood of $22-27 the newer saws use a primer bulb that requires check valves inside the carb to work, they have a bad habit of sticking open when you pull the carb apart, and if they don't reseal it will not prime.
    fuel lines are around $5, but can be a pain to install

I'm a poulan service center/dealer

Just curious.... what would all the above cost installed?

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have a Poluan fuel parts kit somewhere that is yours if you want it. I believe it is a full primer bulb assembly, and full fuel line kit.

PM me an address and I'll get it to you. Even if that is not your issue, good to have spare fuel parts.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Check in the exhaust, it may have a flame arrester and it could be carboned up. Unscrew it and take a propane torch to the carboned up screen to burn off the carbon.
    Note: Weed wackers and many other 2 cycle small engines have these and they will cause a lose of power when carboned up.

dieselfarmboy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    Snow Hill, MD
    I was quoted 150 for a 150 saw maybe 10 or 15 years ago, obviously it wasn't worth it. I think I kept the parts but I really don't remember.

That what im guessing. I love to try and keep stuff running but at times its just as cheap to but new, heck if ya buy new you get a new chain and bar and theres $30 right there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom