• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Details are still not firm or completed, but, it looks like either my youngest son, or I, will be receiving a Zastava 7mm Magnum, in the near future.
    This rifle is rather nice-looking, except for the see-through scope rings and a fairly inexpensive Bushnell scope.

It's in 7mm Remington Magnum and was bought years ago.

I'm reading as much about the cartridge as I can get ahold of. (I know NOTHING about the 7mm Mag.)

Brass is not very plentiful (locally), but, can be 'had' by mail order.

I was also reading that the .300 Win Mag shares the same parent cartridge (.375 H&H Mag) and since the casehead/rims are so very similar (almost identical from what I've read), in your opinion, should I re-barrel this beautiful Mauser action to .300 Win Magnum???????

:shrug::shrug:

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    Quick check of ammo pricing on gun-deals.com show Prvi-Partisan available at 18.95/20 rounds for 7mag and 300 win mag. I certainly wouldn't rebarrel this rifle, just enjoy it. Great action, good caliber

byf43

Just got the final 'deal' on the rifle.

My youngest son is getting it for $200.00. (Lucky ________!)
    He doesn't even have to lay out any cash. He's going to work with our family friend, to pay for it.

They're shooting it, right now!!!!!!!

I told him to not waste the ammo. He got 39 rounds with the rifle. The box says, $15.99 for 20 rounds!!!!

:shocked3:

Scud

Nov 16, 2008
    Near Smithsburg
    This is just if it was me, but I would leave it alone unless I was to mount a bull barrel, free float it and restock the weapon with something that would better accommodate these alterations better than the factory stock.
    You might be better off to leave well enough alone unless you are wanting to invest some heavy coin and redo nearly the entire weapon. 7mm. Magnum is a sweet round. Ultimately the best alterations to make to this weapon would be made in order to have a desireable effect over the weapon's factory accuracy.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I have an interarms Mini Mark X Mauser in .223, it's a great rifle, very well made by CZ. I would not rebarrel or otherwise alter your rifle, with the right bullets is good for anything up to Elk.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not unless the current bbl turns out to have major issues.

The .300 Win mag is tweeked a little with neck and shoulder specs , but in broad terms vizualize the .264WinMag , 7mmRemMag , and .338WinMag as being basically same case with diffierent dia bullets. ( And the .358Norma too , but it's a trivia question these days.)

byf43

Thanks for the replies, sofar, everybody!!!

I think (for now, anyway) he (we) are going to leave it, as-is.

My son did say that he wants to go out west one day, or to Alaska, to hunt.

The original owner of the rifle got it while he was living/working in Alaska, and is talking about moving back there.

My son wants to hunt in Alaska.

He did say that instead of .300 WinMag, that IF anything, he would like to go to .338 WinMag.
    (I could go for that, too, actually.)

Keep your thoughts coming........

I have an interarms Mini Mark X Mauser in .223, it' a great rifle, very well made by CZ. I would not rebarrel or otherwise alter the gun. your rifle, with the right bullets is good for anything up to Elk.

I've got a Remington 799 (same action) in .223 Remington.
    GREAT shooter, sofar!!!!!!

A good friend of mine has an older Mini Mauser Mark X in .223 that he had a 1:9 twist 'medium heavy' bull barrel installed, in a Fajen thumbhole stock, glass-bedded.

With Sierra MatchKing 69 gr BTHP, this little Mini Mauser shoots!!!!!

byf43

I'd like to go to Alaska, too. The 7mm Mag should work on everything except the big bears.

Since the original owner of the rifle lost his wife (Sept. '14) to Cancer, he's talked about moving back to Alaska.

We've known this guy and his wife, for decades. My wife grew up with them.

He's offered our son a place to stay IF he moves back.
    (I told him I'd pay him to take Brad with him!!!!!!!) :D

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Me, I wouldn't change a thing.

Part of me has always wanted a .338 Win. Mag. Or a .375 H&H Mag. Probably for 30 years or so. That's the same part that's always wanted to go to Alaska. Maybe even stay.

Then there's the reality. Never made Alaska. Likely never will. So what I'd have had was a heavy hitter out at a range once or twice a year, largely punching paper, so as not to become a complete safe queen.

Hold on to that 7mm Mag. Shoot the snot out of it. Worry about the other heavier choices when you or your boy commit to Alaska. Or to somewhere else where you're shooting something that absolutely and positively needs to get hit hard, and to stay shot.

Enjoy, and good luck 43!

byf43

Me, I wouldn't change a thing.

Part of me has always wanted a .338 Win. Mag. Or a .375 H&H Mag. Probably for 30 years or so. That's the same part that's always wanted to go to Alaska. Maybe even stay.

Then there's the reality. Never made Alaska. Likely never will. So what I'd have had was a heavy hitter out at a range once or twice a year, largely punching paper, so as not to become a complete safe queen.

Hold on to that 7mm Mag. Shoot the snot out of it. Worry about the other heavier choices when you or your boy commit to Alaska. Or to somewhere else where you're shooting something that absolutely and positively needs to get hit hard, and to stay shot.

Enjoy, and good luck 43!

I've always wanted a .338 WinMag. Always.

.375 H&H........ uh........... NO Thank You!!!
    I vividly remember being at the SCSC Range, many years ago, sighting in a little .22lr, and a guy at the other end of the firing line was lighting off some dragon slayer. It was a Ruger #1 in .375 H&H that he had put an octagonal barrel on.

This rifle was a thing of beauty. Nothing gets my attention (on a rifle) quicker than an octagonal barrel!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing.

Well, I walked over to where this guy was shooting, and as he cleaned the rifle (between shots) we talked about this gorgeous beast of a rifle.

When he offered to let me shoot this thing of beauty, I remember saying, "Yes!" with such enthusiasm, that we laughed about it for several years.

Long story short..........

I fired that Ruger #1 exactly THREE times!!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!
    I thought that I had dislocated my right shoulder.
    This club member (his name was Wayne Faatz, may he forever Rest in Peace) was wearing a "PAST" recoil pad on his shoulder.
    I was too young and too dumb to realize why he was wearing that contraption.

He asked me if I wanted to shoot this beast, again.
    "HELL NO!!!!! Are you nuts?!?!?!?"

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

I am no masochist!!!!!!!!! :D

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I've always wanted a .338 WinMag. Always.

.375 H&H........ uh........... NO Thank You!!!
    I vividly remember being at the SCSC Range, many years ago, sighting in a little .22lr, and a guy at the other end of the firing line was lighting off some dragon slayer. It was a Ruger #1 in .375 H&H that he had put an octagonal barrel on.

This rifle was a thing of beauty. Nothing gets my attention (on a rifle) quicker than an octagonal barrel!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing.

Well, I walked over to where this guy was shooting, and as he cleaned the rifle (between shots) we talked about this gorgeous beast of a rifle.

When he offered to let me shoot this thing of beauty, I remember saying, "Yes!" with such enthusiasm, that we laughed about it for several years.

Long story short..........

I fired that Ruger #1 exactly THREE times!!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!
    I thought that I had dislocated my right shoulder.
    This club member (his name was Wayne Faatz, may he forever Rest in Peace) was wearing a "PAST" recoil pad on his shoulder.
    I was too young and too dumb to realize why he was wearing that contraption.

He asked me if I wanted to shoot this beast, again.
    "HELL NO!!!!! Are you nuts?!?!?!?"

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

I am no masochist!!!!!!!!! :D

You saying you don't like hitting your thumb with the hammer? But....But....
    don't you know.......It feels so good when you STOP!!! :D

Yeah....pretty much what I was trying to get at. I suppose a few guys might even like getting the fillings rattled out of their teeth for nothing more than paper punching. Maybe.

Half are lying. The other half ain't telling the truth.

byf43

You saying you don't like hitting your thumb with the hammer? But....But....
    don't you know.......It feels so good when you STOP!!! :D

Yeah....pretty much what I was trying to get at. I suppose a few guys might even like getting the fillings rattled out of their teeth for nothing more than paper punching. Maybe.

Half are lying. The other half ain't telling the truth.

Eggg-zachery. :D

In my younger days...... I would've shot just about anything that was handed to me.
    Now..... not-so-much.

A couple of guys have said that the .338 WinMag doesn't 'kick' as hard as the .300 WinMag does.

I dunno. :shrug: I am willing to compare them, against my shoulder...... once. Ha!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom