Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 9th, 2021, 05:05 PM #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
GBear- easy to get overwhelmed at first. Overall, it is a relatively simple firearm to assemble. Spend some time watch youtube videos on the following channels. They all have really good information and break the assembly process down pretty simply. The tools DaemonAssassin listed is a pretty good list. You can probably get by without the bore scope if you are careful about aligning your gas block. Quite a few a general hand tools on the list that everyone should have, and will be useful to not just assembling an AR-15. Also consider if you buy an AR-15, complete, you may eventually need to repair it or mostly like modify or upgrade it to suit your needs.

Recommended YT channels:
School of the American Rifle
Brownells
nsz85

A little research and preparation will get you there. Watch some videos and if it helps, write down the process and make sure you understand each step and have the parts and tools you need. If you get stuck, you can post here and we'll get you sorted out quickly.
The laundry list of parts and tools gets intimidating. I watched a walk thru video on YouTube by Radian Weapons where they made it look simple, even though the guy worked for the company. Since I can find the MCX Virtus, I figured it would be cool to custom pick all the parts, but Iím not sure what parts but on a budget and what parts to splurge on for quality purposes. I do want to learn the ins and outs of the AR platform, just donít want to get in over my head with a box full of parts and regret. I do appreciate all of the feedback and support offered by everyone.
GBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2021, 05:13 PM #32
Why should we Free BSD?

Why should we Free BSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBear View Post
The laundry list of parts and tools gets intimidating. I watched a walk thru video on YouTube by Radian Weapons where they made it look simple, even though the guy worked for the company. Since I can find the MCX Virtus, I figured it would be cool to custom pick all the parts, but Iím not sure what parts but on a budget and what parts to splurge on for quality purposes. I do want to learn the ins and outs of the AR platform, just donít want to get in over my head with a box full of parts and regret. I do appreciate all of the feedback and support offered by everyone.
You could always ask for one of us to assist you in the assembly. Have, you'd have to travel to do it, but that's a small price to pay to have it done right. Also you'll want to ask for a SOTAR build class alumni.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post
Like cherry blossoms in spring

Ban hammer falls and makes all better
Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

I give no fawkes.

SOTAR FTW!
Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life

DaemonAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2021, 06:10 PM #33

Iíve been looking at complete lowers/uppers all morning. Seems like the safe middle of the road way to go. Question...if I order a complete lower, the receiver extension still has to be a brace and not a stock, correct? Iím also stuck between getting the less expensive parts vs geissele triggers and high end complete uppers with a quality bcg. I already have a DDM4 PDW and waiting on my Nomad-30 to be set free, but being such a beginner to firearms I truly would have purchased something chambered in 5.56 instead of 300 blackout. Ammo prices make shooting very limited. I am on the wait list for a Walther PDP, which should be available in August. I said all of that to say this...this will probably be last firearm purchase for a while. The next step is training, training, and more training. But what would you guys do...spend the extra cash on all of the ďcustomĒ parts you want or go for a budget build? Or...wait until what I really want because available, which doesnít have a time frame? Sorry for the long post, but Iím self-diagnosed OCD and this will consume my mind and time until I solve it.
Old June 9th, 2021, 07:47 PM #34
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonAssassin View Post
You could always ask for one of us to assist you in the assembly. Have, you'd have to travel to do it, but that's a small price to pay to have it done right. Also you'll want to ask for a SOTAR build class alumni.
This is a good suggestion. Lots of people are willing to help. Step in to my shipping container, and we can have your gun together in no time.

Quote:
"The general rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and name of law, is in reality no law, but is wholly void, and ineffective for any purpose; since unconstitutionality dates from the time of its enactment, and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it.No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it."(16 Am. Jur. 2d, Section 177; later 2d, Section 256)
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2021, 08:04 PM #35

Another question...what about custom builds ordered out of state. How would that work with MD handgun roster?
Old June 9th, 2021, 08:11 PM #36

Quote:
Another question...what about custom builds ordered out of state. How would that work with MD handgun roster?
Well it has to be on the roster, if it was built after sometime in 1985.
mvee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2021, 08:21 PM #37
My pronouns? IT of course

My pronouns? IT of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post
This is a good suggestion. Lots of people are willing to help. Step in to my shipping container, and we can have your gun together in no time.
You...you mean...in the biblical sense?
Old June 9th, 2021, 08:54 PM #38

Quote:
I have boxes of parts and no regerts! Always good to have spares. Like detents and detent springs for when you're almost done your build and they go flying into another dimension. Ask me how I know. Tools are cheapish and last a long time. I bought my first rifle then modded the crap out of it until the only original part is the receiver. It's a fun hobby and a good skill to have.

You can do it!
Bountied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2021, 09:00 PM #39

I recommend if you're interested in building, to start by building the lower and buying a complete upper.

No special tools required except punches and a castle nut wrench.

It's not rocket surgery. Watch a bunch of videos, and have an oops kit on hand to replace lost springs.
gwchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2021, 10:39 PM #40
2A TEACHER

2A TEACHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
GBear- easy to get overwhelmed at first. Overall, it is a relatively simple firearm to assemble. Spend some time watch youtube videos on the following channels. They all have really good information and break the assembly process down pretty simply. The tools DaemonAssassin listed is a pretty good list. You can probably get by without the bore scope if you are careful about aligning your gas block. Quite a few a general hand tools on the list that everyone should have, and will be useful to not just assembling an AR-15. Also consider if you buy an AR-15, complete, you may eventually need to repair it or mostly like modify or upgrade it to suit your needs.

Recommended YT channels:
School of the American Rifle
Brownells
nsz85

A little research and preparation will get you there. Watch some videos and if it helps, write down the process and make sure you understand each step and have the parts and tools you need. If you get stuck, you can post here and we'll get you sorted out quickly.
Gas block spaghetti trick... find spaghetti that's big enough to fill most of the gas port hole in the barrel, but that's not too tight. With gas port up, break off spaghetti flush with the barrel. Measure its length so you know you got all of it out later(two lines on paper will do) .

With gas port up, drop in spaghetti and then slide gas block over it, roughly where you think it's lined up. Now turn the barrel 90 degrees so the gas block is down and look up the bore as you move the gas block around. When it's lined up, the spaghetti will fall down into the gas block. You should be able to figure out where center is by wiggling the block left/right and front/back so that the spaghetti freely moves in and out of the block as you rotate the gas port to face up and down.

Tighten up the gas block(assuming clamp on). Next turn gas port up again and use a cleaning rod to push from chamber to muzzle to snap the spaghetti out the front. Keep the piece that comes out, pull back the cleaning rod and push forward again. Repeat until there's no spaghetti coming out the front. Gather up the spaghetti pieces and verify that they fit together to make up the initial length so that you know there's not loose sketty up in the gun somewhere.

It's basically what these do...
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod68371.aspx
...but without needing to buy plastic sketty.

parler: 2ateacher
gab: 2ateacher
smokey0118 is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles