Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 9th, 2021, 09:16 AM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyMcGuire View Post
Thanks for starting this thread and for the members giving great advice (as always).

I've decided to build my own as well (.300 AAC), more out of curiosity than anything else. I picked up a couple very reasonably priced Aero X-15s from Medusa.

Some parts I've ordered, others I'm still doing research on.
Good luck!
Yeah the members here are an invaluable resource. Iím still on the fence though. This build came out of necessity kinda sorta lol. I really want the Sig MCX Virtus but donít see that happening anytime soon. So my impatience got me to thinking about killing 2 birds with 1 stone. And what better way to learn and become familiar with my rifle than to build it. I donít know. I have the money for either option, I just need to make a decision.
GBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2021, 09:30 AM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrumann59 View Post
dont forget sights of some sort whether optics or iron sights.
I was thinking Romeo & Juliet for sights and Magpul MBUS 3ís whenever they become available again.
Old June 9th, 2021, 09:36 AM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBear View Post
Man...this can get overwhelming in a hurry. Iím having second thoughts about taking on this task. Iím average when it comes to being mechanically inclined. I think I can do it, I just feel like Iím going to waste money buying the wrong parts. I need to think this one over. 🤯
You can do this. It is a bit overwhelming but once you do it once you'll be more comfortable with it.

If you aren't going to build multiple ARs you may not want to buy the tools. There are a lot of us who have all the tools you will need that would be happy to walk you through step by step using our tools.

The statements made on this forum are of my own opinions (possibly sarcastic) and not the opinion, stance, or policy of my employer or any organization that I am affiliated with, a member of, or otherwise associated with in any way.
If you are offended by or wish for me to remove any statements made by me on this forum, please take it up with me in a private message by clicking here.
Hyper-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2021, 09:40 AM #14

You’re also missing a muzzle device.
I’d recommend you get a kit from Palmetto like Smokey recommended. It has everything and the upper, in theory, should be properly assembled. You’ll need to assemble it on your lower. You can build a different upper if you like later.
mvee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2021, 09:44 AM #15
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper-W View Post

If you aren't going to build multiple ARs you may not want to buy the tools. There are a lot of us who have all the tools you will need that would be happy to walk you through step by step using our tools.
Everyone builds multiple AR's. Everyone.

Quote:
"The general rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and name of law, is in reality no law, but is wholly void, and ineffective for any purpose; since unconstitutionality dates from the time of its enactment, and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it.No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it."(16 Am. Jur. 2d, Section 177; later 2d, Section 256)
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2021, 09:50 AM #16

I'd like to see a picture when it is complete.
"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedoms of the people by gradual and silent encroachment of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations."
- James Madison 1788

The framers knew that the way militias were destroyed by tyrants in the past was not by passing a law against militias, but by taking away the people's weapons.
- Antonin Scalia 2008
ChannelCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2021, 10:08 AM #17
2A TEACHER

2A TEACHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvee View Post
Youíre also missing a muzzle device.
Iíd recommend you get a kit from Palmetto like Smokey recommended. It has everything and the upper, in theory, should be properly assembled. Youíll need to assemble it on your lower. You can build a different upper if you like later.
The other good thing about picking something up from PSA is that if they did f something up(misaligned gas block or something not up to par), they've got a very good warranty. You can just ship the upper back and they'll fix it for you. If you slap parts together yourself without the knowledge or tools to correctly build it, you could be stuck on your own trying to problem solve if something isn't right. So the kits are kind of a good introduction to the AR. They're like pancake mix that you've got to crack an egg into. Sure, they could have just included egg in the mix, requiring you to just add water... but cracking that egg makes you feel accomplished. The kits handle some of the more important parts that are more difficult to assemble correctly and leave the easier parts for you to do.. again, with the warranty.

parler: 2ateacher
gab: 2ateacher
smokey0118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2021, 10:37 AM #18
For great Justice

For great Justice

You probably want someone knowledgeable to help or check out the upper when you build it. Could also use an assembled upper for the first one. The barrel nut, gas block and headspacing could cause issues that might be tough to catch, or could be dangerous/damaging.
To build a lower you need a vise, mag block, punches, detent install tool, hammer, armorer's wrench and a torque wrench.
To build an upper add in a reaction rod or Bev block(also works as a mag block), dimpling jig, drill, micrometer calipers, and headspace gauges.

There are build guides all over, but most break down into mil-spec or proprietary. Main difference is mil-spec uses a roll pin in the trigger guard and bolt catch, most proprietary use a threaded bolt catch pin, integral triggerguard, and may have a threaded takedown detent hole and nylon tipped tension screw. I love Aero sets, the M4E1 set has all the nice proprietary additions, and have built at least a dozen with 0 issues. PSA and Anderson often have minor out of spec things that could be tough to catch and fix for a first time builder. As far as parts go, keep it simple, stick to 1 company, lower, full lower parts kit with grip, selector and trigger/hammer, buffer/spring/tube/castle nut/end plate and brace/stock. Then a built upper, charging handle and BCG, or build the upper with a barrel, block/tube and handguard. Should be easy to get it to go well with decent parts.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2021, 11:04 AM #19
Why should we Free BSD?

Why should we Free BSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBear View Post
Thanks for that catch. I must have read wrong but you are correct sir, it is a carbine length has tube.

I really would like to do the build from A-Z myself but maybe a complete could be the way to go. What tools would I need to complete the build?
Bore scope
Magpul BEV block
Long Allen wrench set for SAE and Metric
Inspection picks
Magpul Armorer wrench
Small needle nose pliers
Utility knife w/razor blade
Torque wrench 1/2"
Breaker bar 1/2"
Aeroshell 64
Loctite 720
Tack hammer (get one at Lowe's)
Screwdrivers (flat and Phillips)
Torx wrench set
Sotaracha
Lapping tool
Lapping compound
Mobil 1 Synthetic oil
Wheeler AR15/AR10 vice block (used when lapping the upper)
Feeler gauges
Punch set
Roll pin punch set
Roll pin starter punches
223 GO, 556 GO, 556 FIELD headspace gauges (pacific tool and gauge will also modify them for a small fee, so they will clear the extractor and ejector)
Cordless drill (used for lapping the upper)
And many more
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post
Like cherry blossoms in spring

Ban hammer falls and makes all better
Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

I give no fawkes.

SOTAR FTW!
Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life

DaemonAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2021, 11:37 AM #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonAssassin View Post
Bore scope
Magpul BEV block
Long Allen wrench set for SAE and Metric
Inspection picks
Magpul Armorer wrench
Small needle nose pliers
Utility knife w/razor blade
Torque wrench 1/2"
Breaker bar 1/2"
Aeroshell 64
Loctite 720
Tack hammer (get one at Lowe's)
Screwdrivers (flat and Phillips)
Torx wrench set
Sotaracha
Lapping tool
Lapping compound
Mobil 1 Synthetic oil
Wheeler AR15/AR10 vice block (used when lapping the upper)
Feeler gauges
Punch set
Roll pin punch set
Roll pin starter punches
223 GO, 556 GO, 556 FIELD headspace gauges (pacific tool and gauge will also modify them for a small fee, so they will clear the extractor and ejector)
Cordless drill (used for lapping the upper)
And many more
Holy 😳! Think I might be in over my head. This list letís me know just how much I donít know and need to learn...🤦🏽*♂️.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles