Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 4th, 2021, 05:49 PM #1
Beware of Dog

Beware of Dog

Short mag on a long action rifle

Anyone try this? I had a rifle built on a long action (Rem700 clone) but it's chambered in 300wsm. I have been having issues as it was built, with reliable feeding from the mag (a BDL configuration), mostly on the last round, as the short action cartridge can slide back all the way and tilt the follower to the point where the bolt rides over the case as it moves forward instead of catching and pushing it along.

So, fix #1 is to swap the follower out for a short action magnum follower and see if this will help the last round feed.

It's only a 3 round mag and I am taking out west this fall for elk/muleys and it has to be reliable, especially allowing me 100% feeding on all 3 rounds in the mag.

I just got the new follower today in the mail and so far, it seems to do the trick.. we'll see as I send a few more hundred rounds downrange...

(oh and a special thanks to the members that had a little brass to spare a while back, it has helped my cause, thanks!!)

Plan C is to see about swapping the box out for a Wyatts center feed box, as I have seen this done elsewhere with good results on a similar situation... we'll see.
Archery and Firearm Fanatic
Sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2021, 06:02 PM #2

Armed Forces did it for years. Long actions shooting 7.62MM. Your going to need a magazine with a built in spacer of some sort.

Good luck!
303_enfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2021, 06:25 PM #3
Beware of Dog

Beware of Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
Armed Forces did it for years. Long actions shooting 7.62MM. Your going to need a magazine with a built in spacer of some sort.

Good luck!
That's what I figured, since it's an integral box magazine, I will make up a spacer and affix it to the rear of the box with this short action follower and I think that will do the trick.
Old June 4th, 2021, 06:36 PM #4
American Patriot

American Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Anyone try this? I had a rifle built on a long action (Rem700 clone) but it's chambered in 300wsm. I have been having issues as it was built, with reliable feeding from the mag (a BDL configuration), mostly on the last round, as the short action cartridge can slide back all the way and tilt the follower to the point where the bolt rides over the case as it moves forward instead of catching and pushing it along.

So, fix #1 is to swap the follower out for a short action magnum follower and see if this will help the last round feed.

It's only a 3 round mag and I am taking out west this fall for elk/muleys and it has to be reliable, especially allowing me 100% feeding on all 3 rounds in the mag.

I just got the new follower today in the mail and so far, it seems to do the trick.. we'll see as I send a few more hundred rounds downrange...

(oh and a special thanks to the members that had a little brass to spare a while back, it has helped my cause, thanks!!)

Plan C is to see about swapping the box out for a Wyatts center feed box, as I have seen this done elsewhere with good results on a similar situation... we'll see.
I used to make hunting sporters out of milsurps. What I did when a cartridge was shorter than the original was to make a block at the magazine to take up space and keep the round from moving forward. In most cases, I also had to replace or re contour the follower as well.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2021, 06:41 PM #5
My pronouns? IT of course

Missed you sticky. I don't have an answer to your question. I hope you are well.
Old June 4th, 2021, 06:42 PM #6
Beware of Dog

Beware of Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from MD View Post
I used to make hunting sporters out of milsurps. What I did when a cartridge was shorter than the original was to make a block at the magazine to take up space and keep the round from moving forward. In most cases, I also had to replace or re contour the follower as well.
John, that's what I am going to do, except I am going to put the spacer in the rear of the magwell. The short action magnum follower should work well for my needs, as this is what the short action would use, but the difference is really at the rear and I only have issues when the round can slide all the way back to the very rear of the magwell, so if I limit that, I think I'll be fine.

I have some 3/8" UHMW that I can mill a spacer out of for testing and we'll see how it does. I think that will be close to enough to prevent the round from sliding too far back and tilting the follower.
Old June 4th, 2021, 06:44 PM #7
Beware of Dog

Beware of Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
Missed you sticky. I don't have an answer to your question. I hope you are well.
Thanks Bro, been busy as all getout, just haven't had much time to surf the forums lately, sorry. All is well, though ammo is scarce...

Just signed up for a long range course and I have to find a way to load up 60 more rounds of long range ammo... (in the next few weeks)
Old June 4th, 2021, 06:50 PM #8

Quote:
Thanks Bro, been busy as all getout, just haven't had much time to surf the forums lately, sorry. All is well, though ammo is scarce...

Just signed up for a long range course and I have to find a way to load up 60 more rounds of long range ammo... (in the next few weeks)
Good to hear bro. I guess primers are gonna be the hard part. What powder are you using?
Old June 4th, 2021, 06:59 PM #9
Beware of Dog

Beware of Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
Good to hear bro. I guess primers are gonna be the hard part. What powder are you using?
I have some RL-15 that I started with, some W760 and also a little H4350. I have access to some 4831 as well if I want to go that route. I actually did a min load to fireform and test load lengths with and it shoots a ragged hole at 100 with Berger 168VLDH. I am working that a little as it was with RL-15.

I have primers and powder, it's the boolits that are really scarce right now. I found a box of Berger 168 hybrid target that are pretty close to the hunters that I want to shoot, so I can play with them a little too. I have a bunch of Nosler 168CC's also that I can do some testing with, but they aren't a hunting round. I'm really counting on using the Berger 168's that I have, unless I can get hold of some 185's, we'll see.
Old June 4th, 2021, 07:04 PM #10

Quote:
I have some RL-15 that I started with, some W760 and also a little H4350. I have access to some 4831 as well if I want to go that route. I actually did a min load to fireform and test load lengths with and it shoots a ragged hole at 100 with Berger 168VLDH. I am working that a little as it was with RL-15.

I have primers and powder, it's the boolits that are really scarce right now. I found a box of Berger 168 hybrid target that are pretty close to the hunters that I want to shoot, so I can play with them a little too. I have a bunch of Nosler 168CC's also that I can do some testing with, but they aren't a hunting round. I'm really counting on using the Berger 168's that I have, unless I can get hold of some 185's, we'll see.
Gotcha. It's been a while since I last bought bullets. Pretty well stocked up on what I like. Unfortunately, not the size and shape you are looking for. Good luck and good shooting.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles