• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Besides the obvious guns, ammo and cleaning kit, what do you find helpful for a day on the range? Trying to give some helpful hints to some novices and to get them to quit pestering me and getting in my bag for stuff.

For me...
    1) Extra Foamies - Cause somebody forgets or loses their ear protection.

2) USGI Steel Cleaning Rods for 5.56 and 7.62. Don't use them for cleaning anymore but they're great for stuck rounds and other similiar problems.

3) Baby Wipes. I learned this from my 3yo daughter and wife. These wipes will clean just about anything including grease off you hands or a chili stain off your T-shirt. I carry them in my work tool box too. Also great for a quick "parking lot bath" after a day of getting all grundgy and grimey on the job. Huggies work the best. BJ's brand smell worse than baby ass.

4) Lense cleaner for glasses and scopes.

5) Extra Batteries for electronic muffs, scopes and lights

6) Small First Aid Kit, Sun Screen, Lip Balm, Gum and Mints, Saline Solution for eye and ear flush outs.

Any other suggestions....

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    A couple of towels, patches and CLP. Some miscellaneous tools...screwdriver, needlenose pliars, mainly simple stuff for adjusting sights/optics or un-jamming the particularly nasty stovepipe that happens when when I bump the mag on my 9mm AR15 SBR. :D

Cleaning kit, goggles, earplugs (I hate earmuffs)...that's about it. Occasionally I'll throw an extra magazine in there. It's a small range bag.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Mag loaders, first aid kit with field dressings and blood clotting agent, sun screen, bottled water, paper towels, large towel, screwdrivers, pliers, several different kinds of earplugs, 3 pairs of shooting glasses (clear and sunglass style), brass catcher, shooting rest bags, empty chamber flags and various allen wrenches for scope adjustment.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Thanks for the timely reminder. I'm actually getting ready to head to Myrtle Grove in about an hour or so. I almost forgot to put my .22 ammo in the bag. Two weeks ago I forgot my 10-22 mags. :facepalm:

Dst

Jan 29, 2008
    Cary, NC
    General cleaning supplies (rod/patches/clp), extra ear/eye prot, open bolt indicator, rags, staplegun.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    - Heavy duty staple gun for stapling targets to the wooden backstops.

- When using corrosive ammo, my little bottle of ammonia and water solution to initially run down the barrel with a patch one time only and immediately after use before I follow up immediately with Break Free. **

- Depending on what's going on legislatively, pro rights flyers to distribute.

** There’s been a bit of controversy with the whole ammonia thing. I read a post somewhere by a shooter who is also a chemist who swears by this method assuming you immediately follow up the one-time ammonia patch with regular cleaner to clean out the ammonia. As it was explained in the post by the chemist, the ammonia neutralizes the corrosive salts present in corrosive ammo. I have since read a post somewhere advising against the ammonia regimen. Comments?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Dad always had a small flat-head screwdriver and it came in handy quite a few times in our forays out shooting.

amish

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2008
    Fredneck
    Besides the obvious guns, ammo and cleaning kit, what do you find helpful for a day on the range? Trying to give some helpful hints to some novices and to get them to quit pestering me and getting in my bag for stuff.

For me...
    1) Extra Foamies - Cause somebody forgets or loses their ear protection.

6) Small First Aid Kit

+1 on both of those.

Was at a state game lands range in PA a month ago. This family (parents and 2 kids) come up and set up at the bench next too me. I then start shooting my AR15, after a mag I look and notice they are just standing there (waiting for the next target change to put up their targets) all tightly holding their ears. I realized they must not have brought protection (only looked like they were going to shoot .22's). So I reached into my bag and gave them all the foamies I had (I hope it was 4 pairs). I never saw someone so appreciative before of a $1 item. So now I make sure to have plenty with me.

Also last week my guest crossed their thumbs on the first shot w/ my Glock and got a nick from the slide. It clotted quickly, but would have been good to have bandaids. Lesson learned.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have all kinds of foam ear protectors - I ordered a great big box of 200 pairs for something like $22, and I have several extra pairs in my range box as well as in my cymbal case and my drum hardware case - I give them out to anyone who wants them and make it known that they are available.

Rough_Rider

Oct 31, 2008
    Howard County, MD
    Range bag contents not already mentioned:

Small flashlight
    Black Sharpie marker ( for marking off shots on target )
    Leatherman
    Small notepad and pencil\pen
    Printed copy of the range rules
    Business cards of different guns dealers.
    electrical ties
    duct tape

Optional items:
    Assorted Passports and IDs
    Assorted foreign currency, including Krugerrands
    Picture of Mom

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    a lot of ear plugs (foam type) for my friends if they forget
    my eye protection
    by ear plugs
    peltor ear muffs
    leatherman
    small screwdriver set
    targets
    target spots
    CLP
    cleaning kit w/ a roll up mat i use incase i have to tear down

**recently i added a deck of old playing cards for having fun w/ my buddy for talking smack

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    My Capitol One Credit Card. Oh wait that's in my wallet.

Most everything above I have in a Large Plano Tackle Box rather than a range bag. It comes along as the "tool kit". My range bag has:

Targets, mags, ammo, sandbag, a towel for the table/bench, staple gun, extra staples, target pasters, spotting scope, binoculars.

Rangebag: Right next to you
    Tool Kit: On the side of you

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    Great suggestions above^^!

I keep a clean hand towel with on hot days to mop the funk off my forehead, a little flathead screwdriver for sight adjustments, extra eyes/ears, bottle of CLP, and the usual ammo/mags/guns.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Where is a good place to get said bags? I've been thinking of getting one.

Midway also has a real nice one that is huge. I love that bag and use it exclusively now, I have 3 or 4 others. The only negative about the bag is that you can put so much in it that the shoulder strap won't stay up, it keeps letting out and the bag ends up beatin the back of your knees up.

They go on sale pretty regularly at 39.99, wait for that and get this bag, you won't be disappointed as I'm sure a lot of folks here will tell you.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=259680&t=11082005

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom