• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I was at the range the other day getting ready to shoot. I asked the guy if he was able to get his ar15 (in 223) on target. He was shooting off a lead slead with a scope at a 12 inch target posted at 50 yards.

He had a nice 8 inch group and called it good because "ar15s in 223 are really only good out to about 75 yards anyway". He also mentioned that once the scope zero is set, you never change the knobs on a scope.

i didn't know that!

I now believe in <insert religious name here> because there's no way i should have been able to hit groundhogs at 200+ yards with an ar15 in 223 using iron sites and a sling!

now for the REAL question... do you think he actually believes that?? I didn't, until he pulled out his 300 ultra magnum and was done calling it "good enough" with an 8 inch group at 100 yards (off a bench-rest and using a scope).

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I must have the new AI-enabled, self-guiding .223 bullets because they all group within 6" @ 100 yards using irons. Offhand.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    at 50 yards with a scope he should be better than that. I think I could do that with a red dot. What is he using it for, HD, varmint, target. AR should be good beyond 100 yds on man sized target, over 300 on varmint. Using a scope that close is probably counter productive also.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Minute Of.....

mif16Xg.jpg

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Did his scope have these letters on it UTG or Lepers

Even my UTG and no name red dots well. Hell, my oldest son shoots my 9mm AR with a no name red dot at 200 yards.

What really gets me is, what the hell does this guy need a 300 ultra mag for if he cant hit shit at 100 yards with it?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    This is my AR at 100 yards w Hornady VMAX, 55gr.

It is cleared for groundhogs out to roughly 200yds, but I am the limit not the rifle. If I can see em I can shoot em. I confess, I am the one that needs the scope, not the rifle.

Now, I should say that according to mythology, the internet, and some guys on the range, this group violates some laws of physics, or something. For 55gr I should be using 1-9 twist barrel, but my rifle rifle is 1-7 twist. So this group should be 5 meters wide, at least. Of course, I have an Einstein-Rosen bridge on my upper, which may explain the physics violation.

If someone who thinks 223 is not effective at 200 yards, or cant hit groundhogs, wants to volunteer to be shot, as an experiment...?

Attachments

• H 55gr Vmax 100yds.jpg
      H 55gr Vmax 100yds.jpg
      43.9 KB · Views: 504

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    This is when you roll up next to him with a handgun and smoke his 50 yard group for giggles.

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    I'm not as crazy as that guy from the range, but I am not embarrassed to admit as a beginner that I called it a day at 25 yards zeroing an optic this weekend because even at 50 I could not tell if I was shooting in the same place on the target. The fact that some of you guys pick off grounds hogs at 200 plus with irons is incredible to me. Hopefully one day I will get half as good.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    The only AR I have that won't group well at 100 yds is a 10 inch pistol with irons.

And I'm just a less than proficient shooter.

Last edited:

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I was at the range the other day getting ready to shoot. I asked the guy if he was able to get his ar15 (in 223) on target. He was shooting off a lead slead with a scope at a 12 inch target posted at 50 yards.

He had a nice 8 inch group and called it good because "ar15s in 223 are really only good out to about 75 yards anyway". He also mentioned that once the scope zero is set, you never change the knobs on a scope.

i didn't know that!

I now believe in <insert religious name here> because there's no way i should have been able to hit groundhogs at 200+ yards with an ar15 in 223 using iron sites and a sling!

now for the REAL question... do you think he actually believes that?? I didn't, until he pulled out his 300 ultra magnum and was done calling it "good enough" with an 8 inch group at 100 yards (off a bench-rest and using a scope).

I'd be speechless!!!:lol2:

And I shot M16 qual in Army basic 38 out of 40.. Expert.
    Routinely shoot my A15 1 to 1 1/2 at 100. Hey, not bad for a old soldier with glasses at 71 years old.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    This is when you roll up next to him with a handgun and smoke his 50 yard group (at 100 yards) for giggles.

FTFY.

I feel confident that I could at least match his 50 yard "group" at 100 yards with a handgun.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Please dont tell any of my Marine friends that....they were never told that, and shoot out to like 600 yards....theyll be pissed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom