• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I've never owned a revolver before as I prefer semi-autos. But I had grown tired of not having one for demonstration during training classes. So, in an attempt to up my game a little I decided to purchase a fun-gun a 6.5" Raging Bull in 454 Casull.

I purchased some 45 Colt and some 454 Casull cartridges. On Saturday I finally had a chance to try it out. First I tried a few batches of 45 Colt, and found that very tame, and noted how much I liked the trigger. Then I brought out the 454 cartridges, held onto it like there was no tomorrow and BOOM!!! I think everybody in the range jumped out of their shoes. 4 more shots later and my right palm was feeling it. I was surprised by the lack of muzzle flip though, almost non-existent. I brought the target back from 10 yards to find a nice quarter-size grouping!

Does anyone know if they make an IWB holster for it? :innocent0

Tell us about your first time shooting something big.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I fired a few rounds from Norton’s S&W 500 once. Felt pretty tame to me but they were handloads and not very hot I guess. It’s a heavy tank of a gun and absorbs felt recoil too. Yeah I still want one.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    My dad has a .460 which can shoot the .45LC, the .454 casull and the .460. We shot some of each working our way up. When we got to the .460 people were coming over and asking what we were shooting. The concussion under the metal roof was like a slap in the face from 5ft away. Never shot the 500 but I assume it on the same level as the .460.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I recently bought a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 454 Casull. Damn thing tries it's best to rip itself out of your hands every time it's shot, but oddly enough it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Love my Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull.

Typically shoot really hot .45LC hand loads.

When I do shoot the .454s, I take six cartridges from the box and take them to the range.

First shot: FUN!!!

Shots two through five: Flinch city.

Sixth shot: Had enough of this crap.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Why did you start so small, seriously?

I am with iH8DemLibz. First shot is fun, the last one not so much. I am partial to 357 because I can shoot 38 special all day, but get hot hot 357 if I really need it. 357 is not really "large caliber" though... more like "large enough" for anything I would encounter.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I'll admit the S&W 460XVR revolver has a certain appeal because of the .45 LC, .454 Casull and .460 versatility. Wouldn't it also (conceivably) be possible for it to shoot .45 ACP using half-moon clips?

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I have a MR BFR in .45 70. That one is tame compared to the cartridges you are shooting, however, the size of the rounds going into the cylinder makes everyone around me go bug eyed. :innocent0

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Manly handguns!

I have a Contender in .45-70 depends on the load but when it barks it gets everyone's attention.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I fired a few rounds from Norton’s S&W 500 once. Felt pretty tame to me but they were handloads and not very hot I guess. It’s a heavy tank of a gun and absorbs felt recoil too. Yeah I still want one.

It can be a real bitch with full power loads. The 6" isn't as rough as the 8 3/4" one though.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    I am finally breaking into the big bore realm, had a Ruger super Blackhawk bisley in .454 on order since last July and it finally came in! Hopefully I can pick it up next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom