• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    We have shot the hell out of my buddy’s A300, never a hiccup. I shoot clays with a Benelli Montefeltro, and I perceive a slight advantsge on the A300 at longer range. May just be mine perception tho.

The Benelli Montefeltro looks to be a pretty sweet gun. It's a cost alittle more than the A300 but not a lot more. Looks like both guns get great reviews. I see your Benelli uses the inertia drive system. I have a Franchi and a Stoeger with that system and love it. You can shoot the heck outta them and they just don't seem to get dirty. All the crud just blows out the barrel.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    The Benelli Montefeltro looks to be a pretty sweet gun. It's a cost alittle more than the A300 but not a lot more. Looks like both guns get great reviews. I see your Benelli uses the inertia drive system. I have a Franchi and a Stoeger with that system and love it. You can shoot the heck outta them and they just don't seem to get dirty. All the crud just blows out the barrel.

My wife shoots a Benelli Legacy (a cousin to the Montefeltro - she calls it "jewelry that shoots"), and it's also their blowback-style system. Produces that ever so slightly sharper recoil, but has been 100% reliable and a breeze to clean up. So much less fuss than a gas system. That said, my ol' peasant-grade Remington 1100 just keeps on working after decades of use.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I bought a Beretta A300 last year and love it. I shot trap, hunted pheasants, ducks and geese with it last year without having to change, adjust or modify anything. The only minor drawback is the safety is in an odd spot, front of the trigger guard, and takes a little getting used to.

I have the a400 extreme and I agree it takes some getting used to when your hunting. You would think it being on the front of the trigger guard that your finger naturally rests on it but when you so used to curling up your finger to disengage the safety it’s a hard habit to break.

As far as the shotgun it self I can’t be more pleased. Swings nice and will cycle the lightest loaded all the way up to the shoulder thumpers. Beretta makes a nice boom stick.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I agree with the other A5 guys. I run my Savage 720 for trap, wobble trap, and sporting clays. Only thing I don't use it for is skeet, and that's simply because I don't shoot much skeet.

Only shotgun I have that isn't C&R eligible is my Tristar Raptor for hunting from a canoe in the dead of winter. It's a decent shotgun for Sub $300. Built around Italian internals and design.

That said, my favorite semi-auto that is likely newer than your A5, but still not current production is my Remington 878 Automaster in the form of a Ward's Western Field 600A-ERI. Best shotgun ever IMHO.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Beretta A400. I got the parallel target model, but there are other variants as well. I would recommend you actually shoot a round with one and try before you buy (like renting at PG Trap and Skeet); that would be best.

Runs REALLY well. Seems to cycle any ammo. I have seen guys bring their duck guns to the skeet range and then it won't cycle target loads.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/a400-xcel/

[EDIT - I almost bought a Beretta A300 instead, I just happened to find the A400 used. http://www.beretta.com/en-us/a300-outlander-sporting/

Attachments

• 20170819_200253.jpg
      20170819_200253.jpg
      88.2 KB · Views: 217
    Last edited:

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Beretta A400. I got the parallel target model, but there are other variants as well. I would recommend you actually shoot a round with one and try before you buy (like renting at PG Trap and Skeet); that would be best.

Runs REALLY well. Seems to cycle any ammo. I have seen guys bring their duck guns to the skeet range and then it won't cycle target loads.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/a400-xcel/

[EDIT - I almost bought a Beretta A300 instead, I just happened to find the A400 used. http://www.beretta.com/en-us/a300-outlander-sporting/]

Agreed on the review of the A400 line. I got the Extreme Unico for hunting and liked it so much I got the smurf gun as a backup clays gun. My son ultimately “adopted” the smurf gun.

53eac956877deb3f22f10cd4b66ea8c3.jpg

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yeah, I am going with Dreadpirate and El Flasko on this one. I have a Belgian A5 collecting dust in a safe. For sporting clays I use a Beretta gas auto. Been using the 391 Teknys for 16 years now. Bought a 28 gauge Beretta 400 a few years ago and just finally put a couple rounds through it. Not enough to really give an opinion, but it hit what I was aiming at and the recoil was rather tame. However, it was a 28 gauge. For hunting, I use a Benelli and will buy the Benelli Vinci once my son starts using a 12 gauge and I give him the SBE. The Benelli is just so simple to clean, and the Vinci design is even easier.

The A5 with the barrel that recoils and works the action just does not do it for me. I used it when I was learning to dove and pheasant hunt, and once I grew into my dad's Winchester 101, I never went back to the Browning. The A5 left such a bad taste in my mouth that I did not want to even use another auto. That is until a buddy of mine let me shoot his Ithaca 10 gauge and his brand new Benelli SBE. Went out and bought an SBE right after that in 1997. The rest is history. The A5 has a special place in my heart, but that is because I hunted a lot with my dad while using it, shot my first pheasant with it, it was the first 12 gauge I could shoulder and fire, etc. It does not hold a special place in my heart because it is the best firearm ever to be built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom