• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    62 year old eyes, but not too bad and do not want magnification.
    Out to 50 yards with and AR15
    Red dot scope
    flip up rear sight to go with standard front site
    Site that is built into a carrying handle like most used to come with.
    Which do you all think is best for just groups on paper at 50 yards

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Depends what kind of accuracy you want. Red dots will be easier to see, but less precise. The dot may cover a 1-4" large area at 50 yds depending on the sight. A variable 1-4x scope with a crosshair or chevron reticule may be a better option. You can leave it set to 1x.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    For my older eyes, none of the above. Give me a 1 x 4 (or 6 or 8) scope.

True 1x allows both eyes open quick target acquisition if desired. Also allows for greater precision at distance, and at any magnification puts the target and the reticle on the same focal plane.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Red dot with a backup iron sight system and you have the best of both worlds.

1-4x is another good option, but you probably won't benefit from it if you're only going out to 50 yards.

I think the carry handle is just useless weight.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    I have a variety of sights on my various ARs. One dedicate iron sight rifle, then a mix of 1X red dot types (Aimpoint and EoTech mostly) and 1-4.5 scopes. Some have BUIS some don't. 1-4 scopes are by far the easiest to use.

This one works well and won't break the bank.
    https://shop.brownells.com/optics-mounting/scopes/rifle-scopes/1-4x24mm-ffp-illuminated-btr-matte-black-sku593000165-112477-118956.aspx?cm_mmc=PPC-_-Itwine-_-Google-_-593-000-165&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5fakq-vH2gIVQh2BCh3l3wXsEAQYASABEgL1UvD_BwE

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Red dot with a backup iron sight system and you have the best of both worlds.

1-4x is another good option, but you probably won't benefit from it if you're only going out to 50 yards.

I think the carry handle is just useless weight.
    ditto

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'd say an actual A2 upper.

But since virtually everything these days is a flat top , you left out option #4 - Non-folding rear sight by itself ( ie without handle, just the sight .)

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    For nonmagnified group shooting to 50 yards I prefer in order for carbine GI fsb:
    - detachable A2 rear sight in a carry handle or noncarry handle form using 50 yard modified battle sight zero;
    - rear flip up BUS with 50 yard zero;
    - some type of red dot sight, again 50 yard zero.

What I use to keep from needing to remove or install anything for fast and close TO 50 yards - red dot with flip up BUS. I zero both at 50 yards.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I am 60 as well and nearsighted. For 25-50 yards, I have a special set of prescription glasses with my right eye focused on the front sight and left eye focused for distance/the target.

At 50 yards I can see the target bullseye clearly enough through flip up backup sights or a 3 MOA red dot or irons on the carry handle. I can even wear my normal distance prescription with a red dot but not irons.

Getting older means getting creative. For 75yds and beyond, I MUST use a magnifying optic and have several Nikons that fiit the bill.

Best of luck.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    A prism sight with a lighted etched reticle is another option. I have a Vortex Spitfire. It will let you choose red, green, or will even work without power. You don't get the star effect that you do with a red dot. Also, you can get either a 1X or 3X model. [EDIT: cannot co-witness with this optic if that's an issue.] Info at this link:
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/video/spitfire_prism_scope

Attachments

• 20170301_195954.jpg
      20170301_195954.jpg
      90.8 KB · Views: 90

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    Get a quality red dot, buis and you are done. You can add a magnifier behind the red dot if you need to see better.

The variables are nice but add weight if you don’t need the mag most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I'm a believer in minimalism...don't go by what's "tacticool" but only those accessories that are necessary for the purpose, gets the job done and is reliable. As I've gotten older and my eyesight isn't as good as before I've discovered the efficiency of red dot sights. Buy a good one and you won't be sorry.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    62 year old eyes, but not too bad and do not want magnification.
    Out to 50 yards with and AR15
    Red dot scope
    flip up rear sight to go with standard front site
    Site that is built into a carrying handle like most used to come with.
    Which do you all think is best for just groups on paper at 50 yards

I have all three of these configurations, except I have a carry handle upper receiver, not the carry handle you put on a flat top. Of the three, I do better, group wise, with the red dot over irons. If I was younger and kept up with it, I would do well with the irons.

And in case you didn't know it, you don't need the full carry handle contraption to get that adjustable rear sight. DPMS and one other company makes a rear sight that is basically the back half of the carry handle without the handle. And Matech makes an adjustable rear sight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom