• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fishertodd

ΜΟΛΏΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    May 12, 2013
    Last evening I sent Jeff Gahler (Republican candidate for Harford County Sheriff) an email asking him to address a number of issues, including one question on the second amendment. To my utter amazement, he actually took the time to send me a two-page, detailed and thoughtful response this morning. It surprised me because I have not yet received a response from any of the other candidates running for this office. Today Jeff Gahler earned my support. If you have not yet decided on your pick for Harford County Sheriff, please give Jeff your consideration.

Are you running as a Constitutional Sheriff in the tradition of Richard Mack?

I am not running as a “Constitutional Sheriff”, but rather as the best candidate for Sheriff who fully believes in and supports the Constitution. I am very familiar with Sheriff Mack and, in fact, when he was in the State in 2013, at an event hosted by the Institute for the Constitution in Anne Arundel County, I, along with a future member of my command staff, was in attendance.. Although I do not agree with everything Sheriff Mack presented or his stance on every issue, his perspective and mine are pretty much synonymous when it comes to attacks on the 2nd Amendment. I would like to add that while each sitting Sheriff and Chief of Police in the State of Maryland was invited, none were in attendance.

What is your position on the 2A and the numerous infringements of our God-given right to personal defense? Would you instruct your deputies to continue to enforce unconstitutional laws and make arrests if, for example, an otherwise law-abiding citizen were caught bearing arms without a concealed carry permit?

I am fully in support of every citizen’s right to keep and bear arms. Regrettably, the State and Federal “knee jerk” reactions in response to the high profile incidents (fueled more by the media than needed) are threatening this right and in direct conflict with the 2nd Amendment, baring the Federal Government from infringing this right. Nowhere is this effort more visible and troubling than here in our state. I am a proponent of changing Maryland’s current handgun permit process to a “shall issue” state, meaning that if there is not a clear cause for rejection (past criminal acts or mental illness), then citizens should be afforded the right to carry a handgun for their protection and for the protection of others. The police cannot be everywhere and the only way to stop an active shooter is to immediately and directly engage and neutralize the threat by whatever means available.

I have very publicly asserted my commitment to work with other Harford County elected officials to both defend the rights of law abiding citizens and modify existing laws and regulations so as to truly enhance public safety once elected. I firmly believe that the challenge for law enforcement today is to make the same commitment to defend our Constitutional Rights, particularly the 2nd Amendment, and make our communities safer. This is a stand I am proud to hold as a platform of my campaign and a stand that the current Sheriff refuses to share.

I don’t have all the answers to reduce crimes of violence committed by criminals with firearms, but do know that target hardening of our schools, mandatory sentences for criminals using a firearm in the commission of a criminal act, and expanded (shall issue) concealed carry permits are parts of the road to improvement.

I have written two letters on this topic that can be found on my website and on a few of the media sources that were considerate enough to print them. The first was following the shooting at Sandy Hook and in advance of what I knew would be a rallying call for more ineffective legislation and the second in response to an editorial in the Aegis in which the editor disagreed with my belief that more guns are part of the solution to these mass shooting incidents.

huntman21014

Shooter
    Oct 3, 2010
    Jeff is a friend of mine and a good guy, he means what he says and is the best choice to be our next sheriff.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    I met Jeff today and had a great conversation with him He seems very sincere and very qualified to be sheriff in this county.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    There are a LOT within the MDSP that believe in (and will protect) the 2A.

I have concerns with this candidate. He has been schooled by Johns Hopkins (notoriously ANTI-2A). He is also a member of the MDSP hierarchy (could go either way). If I were in his district, I would want further proof that he had our best interests in mind.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    There are a LOT within the MDSP that believe in (and will protect) the 2A.

I have concerns with this candidate. He has been schooled by Johns Hopkins (notoriously ANTI-2A). He is also a member of the MDSP hierarchy (could go either way). If I were in his district, I would want further proof that he had our best interests in mind.

he's been very outspoken on 2A issues on facebook, going back quite some time. I like him as a candidate.

I like his comments and plan to vote for him. That being said, I think anyone who thinks any gun laws in MD will be be relaxed any time soon is kidding themselves. Looking forward to retirement and moving out of this state.

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." ---- Wyatt Earp

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    "I do not believe the Governor's gun legislation passed during the 2013 legislative session (HB281) to be in accordance with the protections of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and, as Sheriff, I will use my position to not only work to overturn the law, but to be an advocate for the facts and truly working with our elected officials to propose legislation that will combat a criminal's use of firearms while preserving each law abiding citizen's rights."

He's got my vote!

Deersniper

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 24, 2013
    El Patron Grande says:

But will he avoid the "militarization" of law enforcement?

El Patron Grande cannot fathom the need for an MRAP by LEO.

I talked I him on the phone a few days ago and he said how stupid it was to have a helicopter because they can get MSP or Baltimore county to come over. His reasoning was that it pulls officers off the street though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom