• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I picked up some Frontier 62gr 5.56 ammunition and re-zeroed my two 3-gun rifles. My lightweight build was off by quite a bit from its initial zero made with 55gr FMJs, and I was getting 4" groups at 50 yards. ??? I tried my old 3-gun rifle, an was getting clover leaves. I can see why I couldn't hit squat at the last two matches I used the lightweight gun on.

When I sighted in the lightweight build with 55gr ammunition, I was getting 2" groups at 100 yards. The barrel is a 1 in 8 twist, so it should be shooting better with heavier bullets. I'm going to try some 75 gr versions of the Frontier ammunition when I can find it.

Why am I bringing this up? I assumed that things were close enough between the two rounds that I didn't need to check zero and do testing. I was wrong. Always check.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Yeah there's enough stress and weird positions going on at a match, that close enough, isn't. Folks have to have their dope /poa/ poi down from 0 to the furthest distance they're shooting.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Both guns are 1 in 8 twist. One has a Faxon 14.5" pencil barrel the other has a DPMS 18" SPR profile barrel. The Faxon barrel was pretty accurate with everything else I've used prior to this.

All bullets used are lead core. None of my ranges allows steel core.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    maybe scope came loose or something, that is a gi-normous group. plus some barrels just like certain ammo. maybe try the 'old' ammo again just for yucks.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Was the 4" group at the beginning or end of the shooting period? Wondering if the barrel profile, and length of shooting may have opened the groups. Could be the ammo/barrel as well.

Q

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    With groups that large at short distance, I would be taking a look at the barrel.

Or the scope, mounts, etc. Things do sometimes come loose.

I use 62 and 55gr virtually interchangeably in my Faxon heavy barrel. The POI shifts, the 62 gr is midly more accurate, but you would have to go out to 200yds for most people to see the diff. Definitely not 4" at 50 yds diff.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    maybe scope came loose or something, that is a gi-normous group. plus some barrels just like certain ammo. maybe try the 'old' ammo again just for yucks.

Funny you should mention that. I had just tightened up all of the screws on both rifles with my new Wheeler Fat Wrench the night before. One screw needed tightening, the rest were in spec.

Was the 4" group at the beginning or end of the shooting period? Wondering if the barrel profile, and length of shooting may have opened the groups. Could be the ammo/barrel as well.

Q

I shot 20 rounds total out of the shorter rifle. I adjusted the scope after every third round, so barrel didn't get too hot.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I've noticed some massive shifts with ammo changes, Far more than I would have imagined possible. All shot excellent groups but each group was no where near each other. All in 308 with similar but usually not identical bullet weights. Like going from 165,168 or 175 gr at 50 yards you would think they would all be pretty damn close. But I think there was about a 6" spread between them.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Funny you should mention that. I had just tightened up all of the screws on both rifles with my new Wheeler Fat Wrench the night before. One screw needed tightening, the rest were in spec.

I shot 20 rounds total out of the shorter rifle. I adjusted the scope after every third round, so barrel didn't get too hot.

Adjusted the scope for Point Of Impact (POI) or Point of Aim (POA)? One is for optic correction, the other is for moving the grouping (box test).

Q

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Or the scope, mounts, etc. Things do sometimes come loose.

I use 62 and 55gr virtually interchangeably in my Faxon heavy barrel. The POI shifts, the 62 gr is midly more accurate, but you would have to go out to 200yds for most people to see the diff. Definitely not 4" at 50 yds diff.

Good point and certainly something to look at. Loose mount, scope failure, etc. does happen.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I cleaned the barrel and brake more thoroughly than usual. Not sure if that helped yet, I'll see if I can test it sooner rather than later. I'm shooting a 2-gun match this weekend, I'll be using my original 3-gun rifle until I can get this one sorted

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Faxon makes some damn fine barrels. I have 3 and they are all stellar.

I have heard some reports about frontier ammo having very dodgy quality control, particularly with powder charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom