• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mmacro

Jul 19, 2016
    Calvert County
    I've seen a few people suggest using stuffed animals for targets (but not the bean bag material kind because of cleanup issues).

Has anyone experimented with adding a good bit of colored marking chalk to the stuffing so when it's hit it gives off a good bit of colored chalk dust?

This seems like it might work really well... As long as you bring ziplock bags to store them in to avoid a car full of chalk dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Shooting stuffed animals is fun especially when stuffing starts flying out the back. I added two swing out ledges onto the back of my target stand that have saw kerfs in them to hold Necco wafers. 50 yds with a .22 can be a good challenge depending upon the wind. 100 yds is even better.

mmacro

Jul 19, 2016
    Calvert County
    Sounds like you want to use that "Bollywood" powder they throw around in the movies...

Lowes and the likes sells large bottles of chalk line powder that could be used for a visual "report" of a hit.

BTW, the chalk your talking about is part of an Hindu religious festival, not a Bollywood movie effect. That's like saying that the Hollywood bread you see Christians eat in church on Sunday's looks tasty.

mmacro

Jul 19, 2016
    Calvert County
    Shooting stuffed animals is fun especially when stuffing starts flying out the back. I added two swing out ledges onto the back of my target stand that have saw kerfs in them to hold Necco wafers. 50 yds with a .22 can be a good challenge depending upon the wind. 100 yds is even better.

Great point.

I'm trying to dial in a Encore 30-06... Off a shaky bench rest I'm already grouping at 1/2 inch at 50 yards.

I just remembered that as a kid I used to make origami water balloons. I'm betting that I could make a few of those and add an am out of chalk dust inside it instead of water. When hit they would likely emit a good puff of colored chalk... And they'd take a few hits before giving up the ghost.

gorckat

Sep 4, 2013
    Dundalk
    Hmm...what about saving up soda and water bottles pouring in an inch or two of chalk dust, then pouring in something to seal that section, then adding more chalk dust and repeating until full?

Would be a hanging, multi-stage reactive target, depending on caliber used, I guess.

Is there some kind of epoxy or whatever that is cheap enough to be cost effective that won't just soak up into the chalk? Caulk/silicone would be real messy and hard to control, and probably cost prohibitive.

Isaakb

Dec 15, 2015
    Northern Calvert County
    I really want a dueling tree and a place to shoot it. I am going to try and talk the club I'm joining into getting a couple lanes with dueling trees That would be awesome.

mmacro

Jul 19, 2016
    Calvert County
    I really want a dueling tree and a place to shoot it. I am going to try and talk the club I'm joining into getting a couple lanes with dueling trees That would be awesome.

It it were .22 rimfire only that should be a pretty easy sell... Low risk, which is their biggest concern.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    The contract on my iPhone 6+ matures next March and it can't get here soon enough for me. Once it does, I'm going to be faced with a real dilemma: trade it towards a new phone, sell it and use the cash for something else or...smoke that bitch with my .308.

Right now, I'm leaning pretty heavily towards option #3. I've been using iPhones since their inception and reimbursed by my company for the expense. Of all the previous generations of iPhones, this one has been the most egregious POS I have ever owned. If I had the option to go back to using a Motorola Razr, I'd do it right now without any hesitation. Ideally, I'd like to post a video of option #3 using multiple camera angles and score it with Tchaikovsky's, "1812 Overture."

The contract on my iPhone 6+ matures next March and it can't get here soon enough for me. Once it does, I'm going to be faced with a real dilemma: trade it towards a new phone, sell it and use the cash for something else or...smoke that bitch with my .308.

Right now, I'm leaning pretty heavily towards option #3. I've been using iPhones since their inception and reimbursed by my company for the expense. Of all the previous generations of iPhones, this one has been the most egregious POS I have ever owned. If I had the option to go back to using a Motorola Razr, I'd do it right now without any hesitation. Ideally, I'd like to post a video of option #3 using multiple camera angles and score it with Tchaikovsky's, "1812 Overture."
    I blasted a RAZR with a 22, 308, 12 gauge. That phone infuriated me. I also have destroyed a printer/fax. Started with 1911, second shot the lid went flying about 10 feet behind it. Was a more extreme and expensive office space moment

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Years ago I had a lot of drywall compound and packed some ice cube trays.
    When you hit the dried cube they exploded nicely.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I've been shooting charcoal briquettes. Very satisfying when hit, biodegradable and actually good for the soil. Cheap enough, too. :thumbsup:

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    If you find yourself out of state, rimfire exploding targets are a blast in stuffed animals.

Attachments

• Spongebob1.jpg
      Spongebob1.jpg
      60.7 KB · Views: 326
    • Spongebob2.jpg
      Spongebob2.jpg
      35.8 KB · Views: 272
    • Spongebob3.jpg
      Spongebob3.jpg
      48.2 KB · Views: 441

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts