• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dapapers1

Mar 18, 2020
    Hello forum, I hope I am asking this in the right place. I purchased my guns by in 2008 and wanted to buy a new gun as well as some magazines for my 9mm, well I see now that things have changed and I need to now do some things to be in compliance with this 2013 HQL rules since I got mines years ago and I can’t purchase a 17 round magazine for for fun anymore. So the first question is since I went through the process in 2008 what exactly need to be done now, or am I grandfathered in. Next question is, is the magazine I have in my gun now illegal, what if they don’t make a 10 round mag for my gun, can you buy the standard mag online for my gun and only load it with 10 rounds what exactly can I do or need to do . Thanks in advance for any information provided.

Michael S

Nov 6, 2012
    Towson
    Best thing I can tell you is look up the law in Maryland on FSA2013 and then rules for the HQL. After reading the laws you can look on this forum search for it you will find the answers to your questions. I could explain it to you but I find it better to learn for yourself then you can see how many people on here have been fighting for your rights. Even when many were not paying attention.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Hello forum, I hope I am asking this in the right place. I purchased my guns by in 2008 and wanted to buy a new gun as well as some magazines for my 9mm, well I see now that things have changed and I need to now do some things to be in compliance with this 2013 HQL rules since I got mines years ago and I can’t purchase a 17 round magazine for for fun anymore. So the first question is since I went through the process in 2008 what exactly need to be done now, or am I grandfathered in. Next question is, is the magazine I have in my gun now illegal, what if they don’t make a 10 round mag for my gun, can you buy the standard mag online for my gun and only load it with 10 rounds what exactly can I do or need to do . Thanks in advance for any information provided.

Welcome...

Fsa2013 made it illegal to purchase standard capacity mags in md or have them shipped here. They are NOT illegal to posess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ianmd11

Apr 4, 2017
    Carroll County
    Start in the Maryland 2A Forum, google is also your friend. Theres a ton of info out there. No magazines larger that 10rds can be bought, sold or transferred in MD. If you already own one, you're fine. Just can't buy another while "in" the state.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    The info you seek is right on the Maryland State Police instructional web page for the HQL.

Since you purchased a "regulated firearm" prior to 2013, you are training exempt. You still need to file for an HQL, but all you need is to get fingerprints from a livescan facility, and then pay the MSP processing fee. I think you're looking at around $100 total for that.

In the HQL app, select the one that is "training exempt". It will ask you to provide a serial number for any regulated firearm you own, so they can verify that you are exempt. Then you will need the tracking number for the finger prints. Once you have submitted this, finish the app, pay the fee, and wait until they process your application and mail you a card. The process can take anywhere from two weeks up to in excess of 30 days until you receive the card in the mail. You cannot purchase a regulated firearm until you have the card in hand.

Apr 1, 2020
    Hql answers for new owners

After you get your hql which can take up to 30 days but I received mines in 2 weeks. You go to a dealer and do paperwork. Once you submit your paperwork, that says begins your 7 day wait period. It’s 7 full days, not business days. I finished my paperwork on a Wednesday and got my gun on a Wednesday. The exception to that are Sunday’s

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom