• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Recent post regarding German 22 training rifles got me thinking; don't have anything on that but I do have an English Enfield trainer 22.

Barrel appears to be a brazed or whatever sleave, the wood has a few patches and the woodwork on that is an art. photos to follow if I can make it work.

Has volley sighs.

Need to take it to the range to see how it shoots but I like it as is as it's a product of fine workmanship.

Attachments

• SHT R.jpg
      SHT R.jpg
      40.2 KB · Views: 219
    Last edited:

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    mawkie is going to be one of the best members to get proper feedback. He’s got a definite thing for military trainers :D

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Yes! I'm not alone in the .22 trainer wilderness! A nice example of a No2 MKIV* Enfield trainer. This puppy spent some part of its life in Australia as denoted by the "D Arrow" mark. That's an Australian Defense Dept. mark. Love that it still sports the volley sight bits. Most of the early No2s were converted from worn or obsolete SMLEs (never let anything go to waste!). So you see a fair number of early .22 conversions done on No1 MKIII (no star).
    -This conversion would have been done post WWI, probably in the 20s. What's the difference between the No2 MKIV and the No2 MKIV*? The no star didn't have a magazine. Empty cases just dropped away through the bottom of the receiver/stock. With the star you got an empty magazine shell sans follower and spring. Catches the empty brass. I like to call it an "ashtray". Keeps your shooting stand neat and tidy!
    -Later, esp. post WW2, you saw No2 MKIV* built from the ground up, no conversions. I have a couple dated in the 50s that were obviously built for export as the British were using the No7, No8 and No9 for their armed forces training in that period and the No2 MKIV* was an obsolete mark.
    -I'd be curious to see if this example has import marks. Wondering if it was one of the many SMLEs that John Jovino imported in the 80s. You'd see a JJCO NY mark on the right rear of the receiver.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Mawkie...every. stinkin. time.

You never cease to amaze me. It’s pretty darned humbling.

I pray you have a sorcerers apprentice somewhere near you.

Your love of old guns and your seemingly absolute knowledge of history and militaria are astounding.

Thank you for sharing so generously.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    There is an import mark on the right rear of the receiver: IA CO SAC CA ENGLAND.

SN is 4xxx and all matching but on some locations it has an A over the SN. The stock has a few repairs that show a high level of workmanship.

Funny thing. I'm currently in the Sac CA area but I picked this up a few years back about 560 miles away.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    My No.2MkIV. (The Springfield M1 and M2 as well as the MAS 45 and Winchester Winder Musket are camera shy!)

qjpxUVtl.jpg

Wow, that's purty! Not easy to find a No2 in such pristine condition. And I like your taste in trainers! That's an excellent list of some of the best shooting .22 trainers ever.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Mawkie...every. stinkin. time.

You never cease to amaze me. It’s pretty darned humbling.

I pray you have a sorcerers apprentice somewhere near you.

Your love of old guns and your seemingly absolute knowledge of history and militaria are astounding.

Thank you for sharing so generously.

You're too kind. I'm just a product of 30 years of unbridled curiosity. When I see something of interest I love to dive in and swim in knowledge. Feeds my soul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom