• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Like the title states. However, size matters. I'm fairly small. 5'9" 160lbs. Going to carry (outside of MD of course) a P938 in the front right pocket. Someone recommended SIG's branded one but it looks big to me. Any suggestions?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    http://www.ebay.com/usr/jbowe12?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

PM him on eBay, and he'll make you one in whatever color and model you want, provided he has a pistol or form for it, he does make P938 holsters. They are very well made, excellent design, good protection, minimal bulk/weight, always releases the pistol and stays in the pocket, and has holes for a lanyard if you want complete reliability, or use it in a pack or bag. I buy one for pretty much every compact carry pistol, even if I carry IWB I transfer it to the pocket holster to place in the night safe, it covers the trigger for a little extra margin of safety if I have to grab it in the dark.

I originally was looking at the renowned Alabama holsters kydex pocket, a friend had one, it seemed like a nice less bulky upgrade from the nylon pocket holster I was using. I contacted them, waited a week to find out it would take 6 weeks and $40 to get one, found Jbowie's eBay shop, had a carbon fiber G27 model in 3 days for $25, similar design and quality, but I like the thumb release on the side of the Jbowie vs the flared "hook" on the top of the AH, easier to release if the holster comes out with the gun, although the main hook is extremely effective, also relieves more material under the trigger guard, so it's easier to get a solid grip in the pocket than the Alabama holster.

20161006_073714.jpg

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I tried to post a picture but its apparently complicated.

Looks like he makes the flat kydex ones too. Is the carbon fiber just a different appearance or is it better quality?

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Just got one sent to me today. Non-carbon however. I got it because it covers the safety which many pocket holsters don't. I think that is absolutely crucial for a 1911 style gun in your pocket.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

PM him on eBay, and he'll make you one in whatever color and model you want, provided he has a pistol or form for it, he does make P938 holsters. They are very well made, excellent design, good protection, minimal bulk/weight, always releases the pistol and stays in the pocket, and has holes for a lanyard if you want complete reliability, or use it in a pack or bag. I buy one for pretty much every compact carry pistol, even if I carry IWB I transfer it to the pocket holster to place in the night safe, it covers the trigger for a little extra margin of safety if I have to grab it in the dark.

I originally was looking at the renowned Alabama holsters kydex pocket, a friend had one, it seemed like a nice less bulky upgrade from the nylon pocket holster I was using. I contacted them, waited a week to find out it would take 6 weeks and $40 to get one, found Jbowie's eBay shop, had a carbon fiber G27 model in 3 days for $25, similar design and quality, but I like the thumb release on the side of the Jbowie vs the flared "hook" on the top of the AH, easier to release if the holster comes out with the gun, although the main hook is extremely effective, also relieves more material under the trigger guard, so it's easier to get a solid grip in the pocket than the Alabama holster.

View attachment 187751

I had one similar to that for the 33 and it lost retention. Any issues?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I tried to post a picture but its apparently complicated.

Looks like he makes the flat kydex ones too. Is the carbon fiber just a different appearance or is it better quality?

Just appearance and texture, looks cool, doesn't show wear as much and doesn't cost anymore. Good point on the holster covering the safety, will be interesting if it disengages it while drawing, depending on how tightly it is molded some can engage or disengage when holstering or drawing.

I had one similar to that for the 33 and it lost retention. Any issues?

no issues for the last couple years, I carry with it in the summer, but store the pistol in it at night year round, so it's re-holstered a lot. If kydex loosens up, just warm it up with a heat gun, hot enough you can barely touch it, then just push the indent in the trigger guard a little deeper, and it's like new, I end up adjusting retention on most of mine anyway. .060 kydex is pretty resilient, but sometimes hardware loosens up, and if it is riveted close to a spot that flexes retension will loosen faster, most fit tight around the trigger guard to retain the pistol and it flexes every time the pistol is drawn or holstered. The rivets are far enough away it doesn't stress the plastic much, had a couple belt holsters with a rivet right next to the trigger guard, or that use thinner/lighter kydex and they need a little heat and bending from time to time. Being a pocket holster retention isn't as tight as a belt holster anyway, so that probably helps too.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Looks nice. For $70 it better be.

Went with the cheaper option mainly because I can't carry in MD so the days I will carry will be few and far between.

Hillary is getting elected so I'm attempting to get as many certificates and supplies as possible even if the chances of me using them are slim.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016

View attachment 187751

Jbowie's pocket holster doesn't stay in the pocket. Little disappointed in the design. The hook isn't pronounced enough wearing khakis or dress slacks.

Guess the search continues.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Get a Remora pocket holster ...

https://www.remoraholsterstore.com/product/remora-iwb-inside-the-waistband-holster/

I use one for my Sig P238 when I front pocket carry. It has a slightly sticky exterior surface that clings against the fabric in one's pockets. Practice, and you can quickly draw without bringing the holster with you.

Order with zero options - the most basic model works best (I have a bunch of Remora holsters - use the larger ones for pistol storage). No sweat shield modification (these "shields" get in the way of a clean draw), and just get the standard lining.

There are similar competing products (sticky pocket holsters), but I find the Remora material to be the nicest.

Another alternative is a kydex holster that only covers the trigger guard and is connected to a lanyard the you run through a belt loop (so it gets yanked off the trigger guard after you draw and start to present your firearm) ...

http://aegisarmory.us/shop/kydexholsters/the-guardian-kydex-trigger-guard/

But this won't cover your safety which was a feature you wanted (the standard Remora will).

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Jbowie's pocket holster doesn't stay in the pocket. Little disappointed in the design. The hook isn't pronounced enough wearing khakis or dress slacks.

Guess the search continues.

rotating the pistol to the rear and raking the hook inside the pocket as you draw has cleared It for me 100%. Pushing forward, or drawing straight up in wide flat pockets like khakis will pull it straight out. Works almost like "waving" an Emerson knife open, a little rearward pressure, and the hook will catch. You can also release the pistol from the holster in your pocket by pushing down on the release tab with your thumb as you prepare to draw. Add a little grip to the holster to increase traction, or use a lanyard hooked to your belt for 100% reliability.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I'm very tempted to post all of my P938 holsters and then share which one I use for each season or situation. I suspect you're going to have to buy more than one.

Please do. Or just list the names of the ones that you like the best with wide pockets. I don't wear jeans.

All the ones I looked at, it seemed the hook design was the best for wide pockets. A lot of the other ones, like the leather one jwhitt posted, just don't have enough protrusion.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Started another thread regarding the N82. They look really comfortable. That's my biggest worry about IWB holsters. They look really uncomfortable

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    rotating the pistol to the rear and raking the hook inside the pocket as you draw has cleared It for me 100%. Pushing forward, or drawing straight up in wide flat pockets like khakis will pull it straight out. Works almost like "waving" an Emerson knife open, a little rearward pressure, and the hook will catch. You can also release the pistol from the holster in your pocket by pushing down on the release tab with your thumb as you prepare to draw. Add a little grip to the holster to increase traction, or use a lanyard hooked to your belt for 100% reliability.

That's good advise. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom