• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mwzephi

Dec 28, 2018
    Anne Arundel
    Anyone else have issues or recommendations on the charging handle coming lose? After shooting about 40 rounds if I am not paying attention it will come unscrewed and I have to tighten it back down. If I ever lose the tool that it came with it’s going to be a real pain. I don’t want to use locktight or cleaning it is going to be a pain. A few times it’s come lose and charging it to shoot jambs up. It’s the Hi Point 9mm carbine if that helps.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    You could put Teflon tape on it. It would add surface tension but it would not stop you from removing it.
    I don’t own one yet so it is just a thought.

Mwzephi

Dec 28, 2018
    Anne Arundel
    A friend recommended that and my fear was some of it coming off and getting into gun or barrel and causing bigger issues. Appreciate the thought and response.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Didn’t realize there was a blue or difference. Thank you and I’ll check that out.

The blue loctite is easier to get things removed with, when used, but if you use the red loctite, I believe you would have to heat the item up to break it loose once the red is used.

Pay special attention to the labels. I think they changed the color of the tubes, if I am not mistaken.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I took mine off and put a standard, longer threaded bolt as the charging handle. I then put a narrow nut on it to tighten it down. The pic shows where I put that narrow nut. If you put it on the other side it may rub. This side has enough room for it. I wouldn't put thread locker near anything that moves. That stuff migrates like crazy. I won't be about to dig mine out to post a pic for a couple of weeks but this pic should be self explanatory.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
      thumbnail.jpg
      23.2 KB · Views: 256

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Many people put blue thread locker on the screw that holds the front sight on Glocks and have never had it migrate anywhere. It’s definitely near things that move. Use a small drop of blue loctite...it’s not going to hurt anything.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Many people put blue thread locker on the screw that holds the front sight on Glocks and have never had it migrate anywhere. It’s definitely near things that move. Use a small drop of blue loctite...it’s not going to hurt anything.

Actually, some put red.

The slide is kept off until it dries completely so it can't migrate anywhere.

This is a horrible comparison. Please don't put that stuff near the internals. It will migrate and potentially cause an issue. Then you're going to have a hell of a time fixing it.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Actually, some put red.

The slide is kept off until it dries completely so it can't migrate anywhere.

This is a horrible comparison. Please don't put that stuff near the internals. It will migrate and potentially cause an issue. Then you're going to have a hell of a time fixing it.

I don’t know of anyone who has ever used red on a Glock front sight let alone recommended it. I guess someone somewhere has. Please show proof of someone properly using a tiny amount of blue on threads in which it migrates and causing issues. If someone is smearing an over abundant amount on something, throwing it together, and immediately using it, I can see it. But if they’re using a tiny amount properly, that’s not going to happen in this case.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I don’t know of anyone who has ever used red on a Glock front sight let alone recommended it. I guess someone somewhere has. Please show proof of someone properly using a tiny amount of blue on threads in which it migrates and causing issues. If someone is smearing an over abundant amount on something, throwing it together, and immediately using it, I can see it. But if they’re using a tiny amount properly, that’s not going to happen in this case.

Red would be both overkill and silly. Red is what you use on motorcycle brake discs, to make sure they never come loose. Putting that on a sight would be way overkill. And you CAN get things off with red by hand, but as you’d think, it’s hard to do. Probably destroy the screw in the process.

Use blue. A little dab will do ya. It’s not ketchup. Don’t smear the stuff all over. And don’t paint the threads with the stuff. Just a drop on either side of the threads. It will spread as you tighten the screw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD

I don't try to convince people that can't be convinced. I really don't care what anyone does with anything they own. I'm just presenting the risks of what can happen.

I gave the guy a viable solution that works without risking damage. He can choose to do it any way he wants. Some people choose shortcuts. Others choose to do things correctly.

Mwzephi

Dec 28, 2018
    Anne Arundel
    I took mine off and put a standard, longer threaded bolt as the charging handle. I then put a narrow nut on it to tighten it down. The pic shows where I put that narrow nut. If you put it on the other side it may rub. This side has enough room for it. I wouldn't put thread locker near anything that moves. That stuff migrates like crazy. I won't be about to dig mine out to post a pic for a couple of weeks but this pic should be self explanatory.
    I appreciate that idea, looks pretty easy.

Mwzephi

Dec 28, 2018
    Anne Arundel
    Knowing when the charging rod comes lose I see the impact of just getting a round chambered I was hesitant to put any foreign material on anything. I am going to break it down this weekend and access all options. I like the longer bolt recommendation but appreciate everyone’s advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom