• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Like the title asks, what’s a good competition 9mm pistol for shooting steel for around 2k or so, I just don’t want to go crazy

I like cz’s , sigs, colts, rugers....I guess I just like them all but I prefer an external hammer sa/da but sa is ok. I would prefer adjustable sights and the easy ability to install an optic.

Do I need it compensated?

Anything in particular I should know or look for?

This is going to be s present to myself if my cancer is gone or under control when they let me know in a few months. If it isn’t gone it might just be s going away present to myself also, lol.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Shooting in a class which allows comps will pit you against very fast and experienced competitors. If you want to go that route or the stock gun classes. I wish you good fortune! Choose the type if shooting as well. Action based run and gun is different from Bianchi Steel shooting which is different than bullseye.

Shoot a couple fellow shooters’ guns to see which type of pistol you like. If you know what type of pistol you shoot most proficiently and like then that would be a good starting point. Whatever you decide to shoot you should be able to pick up a nice one for $2k. You may want to look at the CZ 75 pattern pistol since it is popular. The Sig has a non1911 match pistol. I personally prefer an accurized 1911. I wouldn’t advise one way or the other since I don’t know what you shoot well.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Like the title asks, what’s a good competition 9mm pistol for shooting steel for around 2k or so, I just don’t want to go crazy

I like cz’s , sigs, colts, rugers....I guess I just like them all but I prefer an external hammer sa/da but sa is ok. I would prefer adjustable sights and the easy ability to install an optic.

Do I need it compensated?

Anything in particular I should know or look for?

This is going to be s present to myself if my cancer is gone or under control when they let me know in a few months. If it isn’t gone it might just be s going away present to myself also, lol.
    Take a look at the Walther Q5 Match. No hammer or comp, but awesome trigger and 1911-like ergonomics. Optics ready up top, slide cuts that look like it’s compensated but are for weight and heat dissipation. Uses standard PPQ mags. Should be able to pick one up for less than $800, leaving you $1,200 or so for mags and such. Taylor Freelance has mag extensions and flared magwells, in cool colors too.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Zzzzz_man should chime in, but his custom Shadow (that is in the price range that you mentioned) is easily the sweetest 9mm that I've shot. Recoil is next to nothing and it is almost effortless to hit the center bullseye. I'm comparing to a Colt 1911 in 9mm, a Walther Q5 Match with Leupold red dot, and Sig Legion P226 SAO in my stable - all of which are great shooters (the Sig and Colt are my favorites - I'll probably like the Walther more without the red dot). Zzzzz_man gun below ...
    8c0b54a3093c55ac38499e79304ea45e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Here's the link to my thread with specs, pics and range reports if you're interested:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?228916&p=5368301#post5368301

I believe CZ Custom built 150(?) of them but, I'm so disgusted with GB right now, I didn't bother to look and see if any were still available. Last time I checked about a month ago, they were selling in the $1700-1800 range.

I don't shoot IDPA so I don't know if it would OK for that but, it should be good for anything else you'd want to do with it.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    you're generally going to have two divisions - open and everything else. open you can have comps/brakes and optics (red dots). everything else will be guns without comps and red dots. within that you will have something like production (basic gun, no major mods, think glock or sig x5 or m&p, striker fired) and then limited - lots of mods allowed other than comp/optics.

i'd hit some uspsa, steel challenge and falling steel matches and see what everyone is using and what you like and may work for you. most if not everyone will let you fondle their guns and even shoot them after the match. BEST way to see what will work for you. there is a uspsa match at thurmont tomorrow, roughly 10-3. i'm shooting it and you're welcome to spectate and if you can make it let me know and we can hook up and i'll give you all the info i can and i'll make sure you can play with at least a couple of guns if not 25+.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you're talking about steel shooting like yesterday's match at Peacemaker, a CZ Shadow 2 will fit the bill. You can get the slide cut for an optic and still be under two bills.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Sanders lake sportsman club is in Lexington park and they hold multiple pistol matches every month. I will put a link to the monthly calendar below. All of the shooting matches are open to the public you don’t need to be a member. You can go to any of them as a spectator or go down and shoot with something you already have. Everyone I have met there has been really nice and want to give advice to get new people into their events. It might be worth going there so see what they are shooting and why they are running that setup for they discipline they are shooting.
    Good luck with making your choice and I will pray you get an all clear from the doctor!

https://sannerslake.org/calendar

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Sorry for the long silence but I have been too busy.

Running and gunning aren’t what I am looking at right now since my back and legs won’t take that. But I have been shooting a few small competitions with my dog 239 and my cz p09 and I can shoot in the top ten most all the time but I want something with a better trigger and I am thinking a shadow 2 right now. The checkmate seems exactly what I want but it’s cliser to $3500 so I don’t think I want to put up that much at this moment.

Thanks to everyone who replied and I am taking everyone’s advice and thinking on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom