• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I don't know exactly where you are (but I remember Towson maybe?) but I used Essex Roofers for a ridge vent replacement on my house, and a friend's family has used them for years. They're good to deal with and gave us fair pricing:

https://www.essexroofers.com/

If you call them you'll get Terry (or Terry Jr.), who is the owner.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    My wife's friend had some roof work done on the TH she bought to remedy an issue with the home inspection. She liked them. Four Seasons Roofing out of Owings Mill. Alex Tugucci 410-995-7744. She is north of Towson.

JakeThePit

Mar 11, 2018
    After 8 months of searching, I finally found someone who could fix my roof for less than 8-10 thousand dollars

He called me today and said that his MHIC license renewal was lost in the mail and it could be 30-60 days before he has his MHIC back.

Would anyone match his estimate for $2400?

I'm in Towson MD.

I buy and renovate houses, have been for 15 years. Always using subs. $2,400 is a fantastic price for a licensed roof job, heck, it's a fantastic price for unlicensed install (assuming materials included).

I would recommend someone but I'm currently between licensed roof crews, I have one MHIC who will do it, but he always subs it out to non English speaking guys and it can get a little sketchy, you have to specify the entire job and be up the ladder about every 60 minutes to check the job (synthetic underlayment, ice and water shield / leak barrier, ridge / attic vent, shingles, drip edge). Gutters extra, have a gutter truck come fabricate on site, not the premade HD ones.

You can check the validity of the contractors claim about license status here, if he's BS'ing you about that, he will probably always have an excuse, but to be honest, the quote you posted includes replacing sheathing at a price that is about 1/2 the cost of the materials, I think that the contractor is playing games.

http://www.dllr.state.md.us/cgi-bin...ch/OP_search.cgi?calling_app=HIC::HIC_qselect

GAF-roofing-layers.jpg

GAF-prep-finish-steps.jpg

Last edited:

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    For the professional roofers out there...I’ve been looking also. Have Gable vents and Soffit vents. One contractor told me they have to cut in for ridge vents for the warranty to be valid. True/false? I don’t need another hole in my roof.

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    Not sure where to start,, or stop on this one.
    The law requires me to have a lic, the law requires me to have lib insurance, the law requires me to have worker comp insurance. That combined cost me OVER 60K a year.
    The law requires a degree of paper work that warrants an employee to just handle the administrative end of running a legit business.

No shit an unlic, uninsured hack is 8K less,, He may be a great journeyman,, but he's not a contractor. "He" is the "Crook" ,, no 2 ways about it.

You got it, its funny when those who boast about using unlicensed contractors get beat out of thousands of dollars and still have to pay another contractor to do the job right. Wanna guess who pays when that roof leaks in two years and the gypsy contractor is not to be found and has moved on.
    It should be the insurance adjuster who was paid licensed contractor money and hired a gypsy and pocketed the extra cash
    Even better when the unlicensed contractor or one of his workers falls off your roof and sues the homeowner.
    What do you think Maryland Home Improvement will do when a gypsy beats a homeowner out of a sloppy, unfinished, poor craftsmanship or inferior materials? They will do nothing....
    MSP should have one Trooper at every barrack that his first job is to arrest non licensed contractors.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    For the professional roofers out there...I’ve been looking also. Have Gable vents and Soffit vents. One contractor told me they have to cut in for ridge vents for the warranty to be valid. True/false? I don’t need another hole in my roof.

If you're anywhere near Frederick, you should have PJ's Roofing do it. Seriously.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    You got it, its funny when those who boast about using unlicensed contractors get beat out of thousands of dollars and still have to pay another contractor to do the job right. Wanna guess who pays when that roof leaks in two years and the gypsy contractor is not to be found and has moved on.
    It should be the insurance adjuster who was paid licensed contractor money and hired a gypsy and pocketed the extra cash
    Even better when the unlicensed contractor or one of his workers falls off your roof and sues the homeowner.
    What do you think Maryland Home Improvement will do when a gypsy beats a homeowner out of a sloppy, unfinished, poor craftsmanship or inferior materials? They will do nothing....
    MSP should have one Trooper at every barrack that his first job is to arrest non licensed contractors.

Woooweee. Meanwhile in Pennsylvania anyone with with $50 and another $1.28 to process it and provide liability insurance can get a home improvement contractor license.

Probably all kind of boneheads out there on PA roofs using empty cans of Budweiser for flashing, etc. etc.

Hell, once you move to PA for less than $80 you can have your license to carry a firearm and a contractors license. I may get a home improvement contractors license just for shits and giggles

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Yeah.....

I used unlicensed guys as much as possible. I don't see the sense in lining the State and insurance companies pockets.... on my back.

It's a personal decision that varies based on the scope of the work. People are greedy and don't want to do any work unless it's a slam dunk, that's the other reason I prefer a "little guy" rather than some fancy company.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Ok,
    Since this thread is relatively new, I thought I'd tag on here. Last night, we got a leak coming from the bathroom vent fan. Anyway, I'm not sure if it's just a fix or a replace job (most likely replace). House is a typical split-level home built in '84. Any ideas for good roofers in the S. PG/Waldorf area?

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    You may only need to reseal around the vent cap if it’s roof mounted. I had a leak years ago on my main floor and couldn’t figure where it came from. Looked outside and noticed my bathroom vent was directly above the leak. Roofer came and placed a rubber vent collar over the boot that was cracked. Fixed the issue.

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    Yeah.....

I used unlicensed guys as much as possible. I don't see the sense in lining the State and insurance companies pockets.... on my back.

It's a personal decision that varies based on the scope of the work. People are greedy and don't want to do any work unless it's a slam dunk, that's the other reason I prefer a "little guy" rather than some fancy company.

Legally,morally and ethically you are wrong in the State of Maryland, Its funny that you don't have any problems taking insurance checks that amounted to money for legitimate law abiding insured company's.
    Tell me do you tell your customers that unlicensed uninsured men will be working on and in there home or building and if one gets hurt they can be held responsible for medical bills and can be sued?
    Why that someone in business would open themselves up the the legal ramifications that you boast about is beyond me.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    What "insurance" check are you referring to?

I needed a roof on my shop replaced due to age.... I paid cash for the job and am happy with the results. I paid a full $6k (six thousand dollars) LESS than the nearest bid, well worth the slight gamble.

Please refrain from leveling false accusations about me and my business, I'm doing just fine thank you.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'd like to reiterate, the person posting above me knows quite literally ZERO about me or my business (obviously).

I made an informed decision to use in unlicensed roofer AT my business address FOR myself........

Reading comprehension is lacking apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom