• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Youth stocks to get a shorter LOP! 20 gauge isn't the answer if it also has an adult ~14" LOP. The biggest problem with smaller shooters, ladies or youths, is getting the butt in the shoulder pocket and not on the bicep.
    22" to 24" barrels, vice 28" or longer helps with supporting, pointing, and swinging.
    Been here with a number of kids, particularly girls.
    A 5' twelve year old can handle 12 gauge target loads in a gas gun if the butt stock isn't too long. Also, youth stocks have a tighter "curl" to the grip which helps get the trigger finger where it belongs and in controlling the gun.
    If you can't afford to pay out for fitting, which is expensive, then go with the youth stock in a 12 gauge gas auto.
    Stay away from recoil operated guns.
    On the other hand, if he or she is over 5'7" and can shoulder and swing an adult gun, the best "fit all" gun stock is probably an 1100. 5'4" or with shorter arms - 1100 with youth stock and 21" barrel.
    Just my opinion. Others will vehemently cry 20 gauge, adult sized, Benneli or Stoegers, but their kids hate them. :)
    My girl and neices and nephews love Uncle D.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    If you decide on a Mossberg, get the adult 20 ga with a 26 or 28" barrel. Then add a youth stock or buy a cheap adult wood stock from ebay or sonewhere and cut it down. Why do I suggest the adult model over the youth Bantam or super Bantam? Because the longer barrel will generally give a better swing on clays ..... AND, some ranges have barrel length limits of 24, 25 or 26". The Bantam come with a 22 or 23" barrel (IIRC). The Bantam and super Bantam otherwise have only a shorter stock and a slightly longer foreend. Soon after buying my son a Mossy SuperBantam, we ran into the clays range restrictions at Stoney Creek an PG Trap and Skeet...although the range guy on the first day at PG kinda just looked the other way. If the super Bantam had a longer barrel, I would otherwise suggest it for its 2 possible LOPS. Easy (and can be fairly cheap...especially if Mossberg has the deal to buy a discount adult stock later ) to add an adult butt stock. However, a new barrel costs 1/2 to 2/3 of what a new entire shotgun costs

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Maui, I have a Tristar Viper in 20g that has both a junior stock and adult length stock if you want to try it for him. My 12yr shoots it occasionally and my 14yr old took over my beretta A400. The A400 is another soft shooting 12g if you want to try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom