Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Southern Maryland
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 21st, 2018, 10:53 PM #1

Glock 17 parts kits

Are most parts kits, slide and lower mostly the same? It seems everyone is making them. Is there any benefit from a 115$ parts kit vs a 70$ kit from Midway or Brownells? The slide parts kit I was looking at L2D combat from wing tactical...
shootnfishndorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2018, 11:23 PM #2

If you want reliability, go with Glock OEM parts only!
GuitarmanNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2018, 11:45 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarmanNick View Post
That's what many of the builders say.
Proud Patriot Guard Rider
Charter Member, JPFO
Occasional Asshole
Docster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2018, 11:46 PM #4

Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply...that is too easy and makes too much sense...I guess I was getting sucked into everybody's new shiny kits with different finishes and fancy metals....stay with the tried and true, which happens to be less expensive.
Old September 21st, 2018, 11:49 PM #5

I don’t know, my coworker has built about 7 now and only has a few issues during the break in period but after a few hundred rounds he hasn’t had any problems with any... and he does 3 gun shoots with them. All parts kits from midway and Brownelles but he did upgrade the sights and slide rod and spring from plastic to steel
cww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2018, 08:23 AM #6

Quote:
This x3. If the OEM stuff is in stock, I see no need to spend more money on an aftermarket kit.
Invicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2018, 11:14 AM #7

In my limited experience I have learned that Glocks are not designed or intended to be competition firearms. They are built for long term reliability.

I do not care much for the triggers on the ones I have built, but they are 100% reliable! Since they were built for defensive purposes, this is an absolute necessity. If you ever need to use your pistol in a life threatening situation, you will NOT be looking at the sights or taking careful aim but you will want it to function perfectly and fire each time you squeeze the trigger!

Installing aftermarket parts may very well improve the trigger feel and make your pistol more accurate when shooting at targets. In many cases, as you improve the trigger feel, you degrade it's reliability and begin to have problems with resetting and light strikes on Glocks. In my opinion, if you decide to use anything other than OEM parts, the gun should only be used at the range.

If your intended purpose is to shoot competitively, a Glock may not be your best choice. You can build one that will do the job but it requires a substantial investment, some patience and plenty of testing.
GuitarmanNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2018, 12:48 PM #8

Quote:
In my limited experience I have learned that Glocks are not designed or intended to be competition firearms. They are built for long term reliability.

I do not care much for the triggers on the ones I have built, but they are 100% reliable! Since they were built for defensive purposes, this is an absolute necessity. If you ever need to use your pistol in a life threatening situation, you will NOT be looking at the sights or taking careful aim but you will want it to function perfectly and fire each time you squeeze the trigger!

Installing aftermarket parts may very well improve the trigger feel and make your pistol more accurate when shooting at targets. In many cases, as you improve the trigger feel, you degrade it's reliability and begin to have problems with resetting and light strikes on Glocks. In my opinion, if you decide to use anything other than OEM parts, the gun should only be used at the range.

If your intended purpose is to shoot competitively, a Glock may not be your best choice. You can build one that will do the job but it requires a substantial investment, some patience and plenty of testing.
Thanks again. This isn't a competition pistol. I'm building it for range/defense and because I can/want to. Reliability is the key. I'm spacing the purchases out to keep the wallet and the wife happy. I realize going in the cheaper route would be to purchase one out right, but where is the fun in that?
Old September 23rd, 2018, 10:40 AM #9

Quote:

Part in red, NO, just stop. Glocks do fine in competitions. Glock even makes several guns for competition. They run against $3K guns out of the box. Like these:
https://us.glock.com/pistols?filter=Competition
Plus, the old loved G17L (Mine DA909 with 50K rounds down range)

There is also a group that runs Glock only competitions:
http://gssfonline.com/

After market parts "can" be fine. Well, if your a trained gun plumber that installed them properly. It's in spec an you checked it twice to confirm it. You ran 500-1000 rounds without failure.

Glock makes better triggers an springs an - connectors. I shoot with a few guys running NY triggers in their 3 Gun Glocks.

When building a Glock or 80%, start with OEM parts. After she runs 500 rounds without failure then try the aftermarket parts you want. When she fails go back to OEM.

Want to find other deals on Glock parts look here:
https://www.glocktalk.com/forum/
303_enfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2018, 11:38 AM #10

Thanks...that is the plan moving forward. OEM. I've built a couple of rifles and my handgun experience has been Sigs, S&W, and Springfield's..I've carried them all on duty. I took my Instructor class with a Glock 17 and really liked it...I've just now got around to getting one for myself. I've no doubt Glocks make great competition pieces, lots of coworkers and friends swear by them...I'm just behind the curve on experience with them...my employers have mostly been Sig fans. Looking forward to getting started. I've worn out you tube on videos...and even noticed some I've watched and went back to watch again have been taken down...thanks YouTube...

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Southern Maryland