• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    The only good thing about this is that it will likely depress prices on 1911A1s in private hands for those who want something other than a rattle trap. And then, once CMP sells out, the prices of 1911s will probably double over where they are today.

I can't really fault CMP for selling its best 1911/1911A1s through the auction process. They are fulfilling their mission and while raising a little money. I've never had an issue with CMP itself - everyone there has always been great to work with. If only some of the forum moderators were as classy . . ..

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Before their website crashed, they announced pricing at 1050 for service grade, 950 for field grade, 850 for rack grade.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Because they'd rather reengineer the wheel and make it ten times more difficult to transfer the rusty and pitted and will require work to function properly pistols.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    suppose I find an 01 FFL out of state that is willing to do my transfer, and I go to his shop and purchase it using my 03 FFL (and therefore no 2nd NICS check) and bring it home.

I don't see anything in their process that would prohibit this? Not sure I would find a willing 01 FFL but maybe. That would allow the 03 FFL to be used.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    suppose I find an 01 FFL out of state that is willing to do my transfer, and I go to his shop and purchase it using my 03 FFL (and therefore no 2nd NICS check) and bring it home.

I don't see anything in their process that would prohibit this? Not sure I would find a willing 01 FFL but maybe. That would allow the 03 FFL to be used.

Not sure where you are located but I asked this very same question a few weeks ago to Sharpshooter's in Lorton, Va (I'm just over the border in MD so the closest gun shops to me are actually in VA)...they said sure why not, it would be an FFL to FFL transfer so they'd do it. So many out of state sellers refuse to ship to MD or even C&R holders in general so figured this could be a work around in those scenarios if there's something I just have to have. Point here is can't hurt to ask an out of state shop as they may say yes.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I like how they repeat the warning "Friction Surfaces".

Why can't they just say there's rust and pitting between the frame rails and the slide?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I like how they repeat the warning "Friction Surfaces".

Why can't they just say there's rust and pitting between the frame rails and the slide?
    Because that could also mean between the frame and the hammer/trigger parts, down in the mag well, etc.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

Don’t take offense, but please get real.

The CMP requires you to submit an application, which includes your address. The CMP ain’t never going to send a pistol purchased by a man in MD to a guy in VA.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I believe an FFL03 can’t be used. If you have to mail in the packet with your info along with an FFL01’s info, what’s the point of even trying to use your C&R FFL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I believe an FFL03 can’t be used. If you have to mail in the packet with your info along with an FFL01’s info, what’s the point of even trying to use your C&R FFL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MD

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jul 1, 2012

There is no point in trying to use your FFL-03 because it will be rejected out of hand.

No, not unique to MD - it's what the gov't specified - dealer only.
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=219931&page=2
    There's a whole slew of discussion about it, stickies and all.

Jul 1, 2012
    The only good thing about this is that it will likely depress prices on 1911A1s in private hands for those who want something other than a rattle trap. And then, once CMP sells out, the prices of 1911s will probably double over where they are today....

Who knows, it may actually increase the prices of GOOD 1911's even as the lower quality ones are being released. But let's face it, 8000 guns is not a lot in the grand scheme of (1911) things, it's more the perception. At the very least it will increase the interest and demand I think. It already is, look how many forums and threads are currently talking about these CMP guns!

I think I said somewhere before, it will be fun to sit back and watch the frenzy and chaos, gloating of the victors and the crushed spirits of the disappointed.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    The one thing I will say is that usually the CMP descriptions are kind of a CYA for them. Everything I've ever gotten from them has exceeded my expectations and the descriptions they provided. All three of the M1 Carbines I got were in great shape and the two Garands were really nice, especially the H&R I received. I think if you're looking for a major historical find from them you'll be disappointed (unless you do the auction pieces) but if you want a gun you can take out to shoot, it will probably be perfect.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The one thing I will say is that usually the CMP descriptions are kind of a CYA for them. Everything I've ever gotten from them has exceeded my expectations and the descriptions they provided. All three of the M1 Carbines I got were in great shape and the two Garands were really nice, especially the H&R I received. I think if you're looking for a major historical find from them you'll be disappointed (unless you do the auction pieces) but if you want a gun you can take out to shoot, it will probably be perfect.

Still waiting in my first Garand from them. Any day now. Reading a lot of people’s responses on the CMP site it does look like a lot of CYA. That said, sometimes a rifle that barely meets the minimum standards of a grade does get sent to someone. But it seems to be a bit more the exception rather than the rule. For instance in looking at pictures and descriptions most field grade rifles seem a lot closer to the minimum standards of Service grade.

Which is what I am hoping to purchase before my 3 years is up on my original submission is an FG Garand to add to the SG Garand I’ve ordered. I just need to figure out the finances and safe space to see if I can pull off a second one.

Now before it is too late Trump Admin should send ALL of the 1911s that are excess to service needs to CMP while the administration is still in office. And the M9s too if possible. And frankly should have done the same with the M14s prior to Huges. Or at least take the ones still in inventory and send them to CMP with a requirement that the receiver be modified so it can’t take a select fire sear/trigger pack and have a semi-auto only sear installed and then sold to the public.

Now I am getting in to fever dreams.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Just curious what the going rate is for a similar condition, say Ithaca 1911? I didn't think the prices seemed outrageous but then again Im not up to speed on what these go for but most GI 1911s I see are over $1k

I don't know what the going rate is, but I agree that the CMP's prices are not high for 1911s/1911A1s. I'm by no means up on prices, but I think you can easily spend 2-3 times what CMP is charging for a pistol in nice condition. In fact, I'd be pretty surprised if you could find anything decent for $1,050 these days. I have a 1944 Remington-Rand 1911A1 for which I paid $1,260 a few years ago. It is in very good condition other than a very small area of pitting on the slide. It was correct except for the barrel (which I've replaced) and a commercial magazine with some corrosion (I need to find a correct mag). I felt that was a good price for what I got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom