• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    At least for CCW, you can go to USAcarry or handgunlaw, plug in your permits and find out where you can carry. Then opencarry.org will fill in the open carry states. I pretty much have the same as the OP except as a WV permit holder I can CCW in Colorado, SC, and Michigan, and I have a non-resident CT permit.

How hard is it to get that CT permit?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Really? Tell me more. I'm interested.

We were planning on going to PR to get married, so I looked up how to get a CC permit. The main PD may issue you a temporary one, but I lost the info on who to contact. Lots of interesting things happened after Heller, that's one of them.

May 13, 2005
    You can add AZ to your open carry list.

Most people don't open carry - unless you are up in the mountains, ranch country or historic towns like Prescott - lotsa cowboy six shooters on peoples hips. The ranchers I knew ALWAYS carried a Glock or other semi-auto on their hip, then when they went into town would swap it for a full leather rig and a old cowboy six-shooter. Kinda like dressing up to go to town lol!

Easy to spot someone from out of town out there... they freak out when they see all the guns :)

Mr H

Banana'd

Most people don't open carry - unless you are up in the mountains, ranch country or historic towns like Prescott - lotsa cowboy six shooters on peoples hips. The ranchers I knew ALWAYS carried a Glock or other semi-auto on their hip, then when they went into town would swap it for a full leather rig and a old cowboy six-shooter. Kinda like dressing up to go to town lol!

Easy to spot someone from out of town out there... they freak out when they see all the guns :)

Buddy of mine retired out there a little more than a year ago, and was wondering about the "gun thing"...

After taking him to the range, and really letting him know the joy, I told him...

"For every one you see, there will be 4 you don't."

All he could do is nod. I think he married a gun gal a few months ago.

:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    I bet that gets weird, considering KC proper is in MO..........

Ya... Specifically Johnson county. Ks clarified law to state that open carry is allowed and local jurisdictions can't resctrict it outside of manner restrictions (holster, etc) and the ag even issued an opinion saying you can open carry... But areas in Johnson county refuse to change. So unless you want to be the court case, stay away

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

Kansas is open carry except for areas in the KC suburbs.

I purposely did not post all of the open carry states. I only included the ones that have open carry where I cannot carry concealed.
    I am covered for concealed carry in AZ and KS already.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    How hard is it to get that CT permit?

It's not as easy as FL but it's easy enough.

You need another permit. It can be from any state. I used my Florida permit because of course I do not have a NJ permit.

You also need to take NRA Basic. FIRST steps or hunter's ed will not do. You need NRA Basic with live fire.

Call up SLFU and get the application packet.

Fill out the forms, follow the instructions, mail off with the fees (which are quite high, $70+$50+$15) and you'll get your permit in 3-4 months.

CT is a may issue state that operates like a shall issue state.

Unless you go to CT often I don't really recommend it. Reciprocity is limited. Utah is a much better value if you need reciprocity for other states (but it's no good for CT.) But if you need to carry in CT it's the only way. It's nice to carry in CT and they have beautiful sights and things to do. I was up at mystic seaport last weekend, CCW all the way.

The local advocacy org is CCDL - http://www.ccdl.us Nice folks.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    We were planning on going to PR to get married, so I looked up how to get a CC permit. The main PD may issue you a temporary one, but I lost the info on who to contact. Lots of interesting things happened after Heller, that's one of them.

Oh yes I remember. The PR Supreme court ruled on it. I had no idea they actually were now a shall issue state. Should be interesting should I decide to go there.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    MD HQL will allow you to OPEN CARRY in Michigan NOT carry concealed. See the Michigan State Police bulletin I originally mentioned.

The bulletin is from 2010 and doesn't address Maryland specifically, but it is worth reading if you're planning a trip there. One interesting tidbit, is that it is not possible to "open carry" in a vehicle, so if you're on your way to a place where you are planning to carry, you have to get there using their transport laws (unloaded, cased, in trunk or not accessible).

There is no way to “open carry” a pistol in a vehicle. An individual, without a CPL or otherwise exempted (e.g., a police officer), who transports a pistol in a vehicle to an area where he or she intends to “open carry” may be in violation of MCL 750.227.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    The bulletin is from 2010 and doesn't address Maryland specifically, but it is worth reading if you're planning a trip there. One interesting tidbit, is that it is not possible to "open carry" in a vehicle, so if you're on your way to a place where you are planning to carry, you have to get there using their transport laws (unloaded, cased, in trunk or not accessible).

The bulletin is very clear that a license to purchase issued by a state qualifies. There is no more recent bulletin and the law has NOT changed. This is the only situation I am aware of where obtaining a Maryland HQL will be helpful to ANY of us. Clearly it applies ONLY to open carry and not to vehicle or concealed carry.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    MD HQL will allow you to OPEN CARRY in Michigan NOT carry concealed. See the Michigan State Police bulletin I originally mentioned.

I don't see any link to a MI State Police Bulletin, but I sincerely doubt a MD HQL that neither exists yet nor has anything to do with carrying a firearm, affects ones ability to lawfully carry in any other state.

Please correct me if I have assumed incorrectly.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I don't see any link to a MI State Police Bulletin, but I sincerely doubt a MD HQL that neither exists yet nor has anything to do with carrying a firearm, affects ones ability to lawfully carry in any other state.

Please correct me if I have assumed incorrectly.

No disrespect intended but you are wrong. I did not link the bulletin I suggested a Google search and provided all relevant info. in the original post. I am trying to encourage responsible research by all not do the work for them. Of course MD is not specifically spelled out but it is relevant to any state. For example the Illinois FOID would work.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    The bulletin is very clear that a license to purchase issued by a state qualifies. There is no more recent bulletin and the law has NOT changed. This is the only situation I am aware of where obtaining a Maryland HQL will be helpful to ANY of us. Clearly it applies ONLY to open carry and not to vehicle or concealed carry.

Agreed. Just pointing out for people that might search that it's not a Maryland specific notice based on our currently non-existent HQL. Also, that their are pitfalls if you don't read the laws carefully. I think it would be easy for people to assume that if you're OC'ing at places A and B that you could also drive between them.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Agreed. Just pointing out for people that might search that it's not a Maryland specific notice based on our currently non-existent HQL. Also, that their are pitfalls if you don't read the laws carefully. I think it would be easy for people to assume that if you're OC'ing at places A and B that you could also drive between them.

Absolutely agreed and was mentioned in the disclaimer of the original post:

"Be advised that there are some states with lawful open carrying that prohibit vehicle carry without a permit (New Hampshire is one example, there are others as well you should do your own research). "

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom