• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Madmig21

May 1, 2017
    Hello everyone. I just got stationed here from the gun loving state of NC. I have read up on the castle doctrin of this state but I didn't see anything about "protection of property". in NC you can shoot someone if they are going to damage your property. Such as living quarters or your car. There are caviots to it like they have to be armed, or you have to think they are armed, Or if they made promises to hurt you if you didn't walk away. Stuff like that. Does this state have that or do I just have to sit and wait for the cops if someone tries to steal from my car? I ask because last night my new neighbor hood got hit. The crooks are in video tape but still at large to my knowledge.

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    Well, that has been a very sore point with me, so I may come off as a little bitter.:mad54::mad54: And, I'm sure there will be resounding disagreements posted.:rolleyes: Nonetheless, its been my understanding that before one can justifiedly use deadly force in here the Free State, one must retreat with the back to the wall (and depending on the city or county, probably beg for mercy). As to property, stuck in my head is a passage from a Court of Appeals case (don't remember the name), that says one cannot use deadly force to protect mere property. While it has been suggested that I have been brain washed & have deluded myself,:innocent0 its not only a conviction that you have to worry about, its being charged. Even with a "not guilty" verdict, you pay a heavy price. If necessary, I could give you the names of some really good defense attorneys if you pop a cap on someone, especially protecting mere property. There used to be a livestock protection exception, but I'm not sure of that now.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Not only do you have to let them steal your car but if you're in Baltimore the police won't even investigate it.

Welcome to the land of peasant pleasant living.

Madmig21

May 1, 2017
    Well, that has been a very sore point with me, so I may come off as a little bitter.:mad54::mad54: And, I'm sure there will be resounding disagreements posted.:rolleyes: Nonetheless, its been my understanding that before one can justifiedly use deadly force in here the Free State, one must retreat with the back to the wall (and depending on the city or county, probably beg for mercy). As to property, stuck in my head is a passage from a Court of Appeals case (don't remember the name), that says one cannot use deadly force to protect mere property. While it has been suggested that I have been brain washed & have deluded myself,:innocent0 its not only a conviction that you have to worry about, its being charged. Even with a "not guilty" verdict, you pay a heavy price. If necessary, I could give you the names of some really good defense attorneys if you pop a cap on someone, especially protecting mere property. There used to be a livestock protection exception, but I'm not sure of that now.

I make it a point to not randomly "pop a cap" unless its justified. I know from reading the MD castle doctrine the need to retreat is no longer required. How ever if you still felt like you could safely do it I would. I love guns and im in the military trying to kill someone just because your justified is not always the answer even If it is warranted. that's just me. How ever I will point a gun and shoot it if the need comes up. Just trying to know what I do need to do if I catch these punk trying to break into more cars. at this point the only question A what gun do I take with me and B can I shoot lol I just cant find anything about protecting ones property.

Just as a fun fact in NC they passed a law where you can now shoot through the front door at a potential intruder if you feel threatened. not sure what made me think of that.

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    shoot first then hire Make V Miller to defend you. He writes the laws so he can get you off if you are charged. Better yet put him on retainer and tell the police that he is your lawyer. It is all about the money

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Without the usual punchlines; You may use deadly force only to prevent death or serious bodily injury .

The case law on castle doctrine ( within the contex of protection of person as opposed to property) is decent. But a politically grandstanding States Atty can put you through the wringer before you eventually prevail at trial.

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    [SARCASM] If you shoot a perp, how are they supposed to get a fair trial...... /[SARCASM]

Welcome to Maryland, a beautiful state minus the politics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom