• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Dont know much about shotguns except they go BOOM :lol2:

Looking to by an inexpensive one for clays in the backyard.

So far I have found the Remington 870 with a 28in barrel and a Mossberg 500
    24in barrel . What other inexpensive shotguns will be good for clays and home defense ? Was looking for a 30 inch barrel but think 28 inch will do.

If an IP say if you have it in stock...

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    That's a good start, I'm guessing your using a spring loaded launcher or a hand launcher?
    Shooting those clays are easier than shooting trap, skeet or sporting clays.
    The "lest expensive" shotgun I have that will shoot clays is a single shot I got used from Duffy's for $150
    Better than nothing for home defense but not nearly as good for HD as an 870 or 500

My 870 set up for defense has a 20" cylinder barrel
    longer barrel is easier for shooting clays

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    You could look into old Winchester M97 shotguns. I got one for 450 a few years back and it will do the job just fine. If you want cheaper, a Mossberg Maverick won't run you more than 300 but will get the job done well.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I would also think that it depends on what you mean by "clays".

If you're just talking about home-brew trap, I would think the 870 is the way to go. Back when I was shooting a fair amount of trap, I was giving the spaghetti shotgun crowd a run for their money with an 870.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    For dicking around, an 870 or 500 are fine. If you want to be more competitive in formalized clay sports were you'll be hitting 2 clays at different distances...over/under is the way to go. Being able to toss two chokes in is pretty awesome....as is virtually no lag from first shot to second. Rugers over/unders are fairly solid for the money, or look for a used browning/beretta. It'll be tough finding a durable o/u for less than $800 though.

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    If you are shooting trap in the back yard, then a 870 pump with a 26" barrel should work fine. It a field gun so it will shoot a flatter pattern than a sporting gun, but you can still do well and still use it for hunting. You can always buy a 30" barrel if you think you need it. If you evolve to shooting sporting clays you will want a semi or O/U. I would recommend a CZ semi. (Yeah, I know they are made in Turkey, but I have one in O/U and it is excellent for trap) and I read good things on the Forums about the Semi autos. I would avoid the ones coming out of Russia, old E-Block countries, or Brazil, as well as offbrands that would be a problem for service or parts. I suggest you get on the Shotgun Forum, some good information there. I envy the backyard set up.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Dont know much about shotguns except they go BOOM 2:

Looking to by an inexpensive one for clays in the backyard.

So far I have found the Remington 870 with a 28in barrel and a Mossberg 500

24in barrel . What other inexpensive shotguns will be good for clays and home defense ? Was looking for a 30 inch barrel but think 28 inch will do.

If an IP say if you have it in stock...
    Some good advice so far, but....

1. Define "Clays"

2. Define "Inexpensive"

3. How many clays in a session?

BTW - I'm a NRA and NSCA (National Sporting Clays Association) Shotgun Instructor.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    For dicking around, an 870 or 500 are fine. If you want to be more competitive in formalized clay sports were you'll be hitting 2 clays at different distances...over/under is the way to go. Being able to toss two chokes in is pretty awesome....as is virtually no lag from first shot to second. Rugers over/unders are fairly solid for the money, or look for a used browning/beretta. It'll be tough finding a durable o/u for less than $800 though.

Or side by sides w/ different chokes for the 2 clay speed shooting. If you need >2 rounds, pump or semi auto in all their flavors.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

1. Define "Clays"

2. Define "Inexpensive"

BTW - I'm a NRA and NSCA (National Sporting Clays Association) Shotgun Instructor.

The fact that he wants a shotgun for both shooting clays AND home defense, means that the 870 or the 500 is the right gun. Almost nobody is going to pick an o/u for home defense.

When I saw his post in the $1,000 Citizen check thread in the water cooler asking which new trap gun he should buy, I directed him to this forum, thinking a new Beretta 686 would be a good starting point as a trap gun. Had no idea it had to double as a home defense gun too.

Seeing that he wants to use it for both "trap shooting" and home defense, and it has to be inexpensive, then it has to be an 870 or 500. Maybe a Benelli Nova or quite possibly an upgrade to a little more expensive semi-auto. Mind you, any gun can be used for hunting, clays shooting, and home defense. However, there are tools out there that are more specialized to the job at hand.

OP, if you want a general purpose shotgun that you can use for hunting, clays shooting every once in a while, and home defense each and every day of the year, and you want it to be inexpensive, then the 870 or 500 will do.

Is this your first shotgun? If not, what do you already own?

Also, finding an 870 or 500 in today's climate might be a little tough.

Daveyboysmith

There's a search box?!?!
    Aug 10, 2011
    Ellicott city
    Stoeger O/U start around 400 new. Mossberg Silver reserve O/U starts around 650. Both of those you could still easily take to sporting clay courses if you fall in love.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    The fact that he wants a shotgun for both shooting clays AND home defense, means that the 870 or the 500 is the right gun. Almost nobody is going to pick an o/u for home defense.

When I saw his post in the $1,000 Citizen check thread in the water cooler asking which new trap gun he should buy, I directed him to this forum, thinking a new Beretta 686 would be a good starting point as a trap gun. Had no idea it had to double as a home defense gun too.

Seeing that he wants to use it for both "trap shooting" and home defense, and it has to be inexpensive, then it has to be an 870 or 500. Maybe a Benelli Nova or quite possibly an upgrade to a little more expensive semi-auto. Mind you, any gun can be used for hunting, clays shooting, and home defense. However, there are tools out there that are more specialized to the job at hand.

OP, if you want a general purpose shotgun that you can use for hunting, clays shooting every once in a while, and home defense each and every day of the year, and you want it to be inexpensive, then the 870 or 500 will do.

Is this your first shotgun? If not, what do you already own?

Also, finding an 870 or 500 in today's climate might be a little tough.

I didn't need more definition of "Home Defense" but some of definitions requested would refine my suggestions.....

BTW - I agree with what you said, but his answers could adjust my suggestions to include, you might have to consider two guns.

I've shot several "play" charity tournaments where there were 100 - 200 birds involved, and that's one of the main reasons my 500 is relegated to slug duty. If that is one of his definitions, then my recommendations would reflect that.

Home Defense all the time, and a couple of 25 - 50 clays rounds 2 - 4 times a year....right up the 870/500 alley. (I own one each).

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Whats your definition of inexpensive? Just so we have a better idea of what we can recommend .

Quality but not going to break the bank

I would also think that it depends on what you mean by "clays".

If you're just talking about home-brew trap, I would think the 870 is the way to go. Back when I was shooting a fair amount of trap, I was giving the spaghetti shotgun crowd a run for their money with an 870.

Yes just backyard clays , depends if i take a tree down might not be more than 10 yards

Nothing formalized, just starting out. Figured if i do want to get serious i can buy a dedicated gun but if i don’t than i have it for home defense

1. Define "Clays"

2. Define "Inexpensive"

3. How many clays in a session?

Hand throwing for now , the 870 is 550 dollars (with the 2 barrels) if say another make/model is better suited but costs more that would be great. A couple boxes of shells each session

Stoeger O/U start around 400 new. Mossberg Silver reserve O/U starts around 650. Both of those you could still easily take to sporting clay courses if you fall in love.

This would also be good for home defense???

I didn't need more definition of "Home Defense" but some of definitions requested would refine my suggestions.....

BTW - I agree with what you said, but his answers could adjust my suggestions to include, you might have to consider two guns.

I've shot several "play" charity tournaments where there were 100 - 200 birds involved, and that's one of the main reasons my 500 is relegated to slug duty. If that is one of his definitions, then my recommendations would reflect that.

Home Defense all the time, and a couple of 25 - 50 clays rounds 2 - 4 times a year....right up the 870/500 alley. (I own one each).

Just seeing if i like clay shooting but will also be for home defense. if i like it than i can research for a dedicated clay gun. Not going to say i won’t be clay shooting every evening after work during the stay at home order. When back to normal maybe once or twice a month

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Quality but not going to break the bank

Yes just backyard clays , depends if i take a tree down might not be more than 10 yards

Nothing formalized, just starting out. Figured if i do want to get serious i can buy a dedicated gun but if i don’t than i have it for home defense

Hand throwing for now , the 870 is 550 dollars (with the 2 barrels) if say another make/model is better suited but costs more that would be great. A couple boxes of shells each session

This would also be good for home defense???

Just seeing if i like clay shooting but will also be for home defense. if i like it than i can research for a dedicated clay gun. Not going to say i won’t be clay shooting every evening after work during the stay at home order. When back to normal maybe once or twice a month

A Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 combo with a shorter smooth bore barrel for home defense and a 28" vent rib barrel with choke tubes will suit you fine for what you want to do now.

If you decide to shoot more clays, your shoulder is going to want something that will tame the recoil a little bit. If the Sporting clays bug bites you.........you're going to want something that cycles faster and possibly want a choice of two chokes...... Sporting Clays course setters are famous for setting a simultaneous double with a target in your face and a 40 yarder out there!!!

You can shoot the doubles with a pump, but you're going to be up against mostly Semis and O/Us......

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I use an 870 for sporting clays and trap. I'm not seriously into those sports so it works just fine for having a blast. I have shot a 25 shooting TRAP with it and been real close many others.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I use an 870 for sporting clays and trap. I'm not seriously into those sports so it works just fine for having a blast. I have shot a 25 shooting TRAP with it and been real close many others.
    Before I got my Browning Gold Fusion autoloader.....I shot my 870 Express for Sporting Clays 3 bird tourneys, it worked, and it was a lot of work!!! Now I use the Gold for the occasional 3 bird shoot, and my Browning Special Sporting Clays O/U for everything else.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    A Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 combo with a shorter smooth bore barrel for home defense and a 28" vent rib barrel with choke tubes will suit you fine for what you want to do now.

If you decide to shoot more clays, your shoulder is going to want something that will tame the recoil a little bit. If the Sporting clays bug bites you.........you're going to want something that cycles faster and possibly want a choice of two chokes...... Sporting Clays course setters are famous for setting a simultaneous double with a target in your face and a 40 yarder out there!!!

You can shoot the doubles with a pump, but you're going to be up against mostly Semis and O/Us......

Pretty much spot on advice there. The pump gun is going to work for his needs right now. If he decides to really get into sporting clays, the pump gun can be relegated to home defense duty. Granted, I use a semi-auto for home defense (i.e., Benelli M4 that has a SBS tax stamp), along with a couple AR-15 rifles and several handguns.

Over the past two decades, I have been using a Beretta 391 Teknys for sporting clays and skeet. Only time I have been using an o/u is for dove hunting once in awhile and trap.

Cannot remember the last time I actually pulled the trigger on my Browning BPS. It was probably in the 90s.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    You have the right idea. You cannot go wrong with a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Will come down to personal preferance.

IMO I prefer a 500 because of the placement of the safety on the tang over the trigger guard safety of the 870, but that's really it. The action of the 870's are usually a hair smoother out of the box.

Have a 28in barrel with removable chokes and put at least a modified or tighter in there for trap. As a beginner, you will most likely be shooting trap more than anything else. Then have an 18.5in or 20in barrel with smoothbore for home defense.

My friend ended up buying a Benelli Nova for this purpose, but had a hell of a time sourcing a shorter barrel for home defense. The Nova's front fiber optic sight and mid bead makes it easy for him to stay on target.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    A Remington 1100 is not a bad choice, either.

You can always switch out barrels, too. 30"+ for some games, 18" for HD.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    A Remington 1100 is not a bad choice, either.

You can always switch out barrels, too. 30"+ for some games, 18" for HD.
    Doc, your right....

I went to college with a K9 Officer...

He said there was two things that were universally understood by criminals.....

1. "Freeze, Dirtbag" in dog language.

.....and yes, this was back in the Hill Street Blues era.

2. The racking of a pump shotgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom