What do I need to think about while getting ready to carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    And yes, I am bragging a little...

Backstory: Escaped from the People's Republic of Maryland and settled in Georgia. Waiting on GA govt offices to open so I can get my GA driver's license. Once I have that I can apply for my GA carry permit. With that, I am pretty much good to carry anywhere south of MD. Also going to have my wife and son get theirs as well, just because.

I also need to get a pistol that is appropriate for carry. What I have is really too big to carry comfortably. I plan on hitting a range with rentals to help pick out a new gun.

While training is not required, I plan on getting some anyway. Legal/mental stuff. Also, i need range time to ensure i can deploy the weapon consistently quickly.

I am also certain that there are a whole host things that I don't know.

I haven't decided on how I plan to carry, concealed vs open.

Please give me some food for thought.

Rob.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    i'm sorry you asked about what pistol to get for carry.

You will carry concealed. I will edict that. :)

Concealed carry insurance. I have CCW Safe.

When going to the range, don't get tunnel vision on making pretty, teeny tiny groups. Learn to be satisfied with hitting center mass on a target at about 7 to 10 yards. First shot in a self defense shooting is the most important. Train for that first shot somewhere in center mass.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    i'm sorry you asked about what pistol to get for carry.

You will carry concealed. I will edict that. :)

Concealed carry insurance. I have CCW Safe.

+1 on that especially the insurance.

Pistol choice is personal. Obviously something you can conceal and shoot well. The pistol may change based on weather and clothing.

Understanding the law is crucial. Have a post shoot plan in place before you ever leave the house. If you have to shoot, plan on being arrested.

Practice is crucial. Holster draw should be drilled in until it is muscle memory. Proper training will stop bad habits.

The first times carrying are awkward. After a while it is like wearing a watch. You know it is there, but it is not a big deal.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Save yourself some grief, carry concealed. Even if most people are cool with open carry, there will always be that one to try and cause problems.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    I carry a sig 365 in a vedder light tuck IWB holster. I use a Kore gun belt and 12 round mags to get a proper grip on the gun and can shoot it just as good as most full sized guns.

For a gun of its size I don’t think there is a better option than the 365 right now. I would never open carry unless you are in a rural area where carrying a gun wouldn’t stick out as unusual.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Not sure where you are in Georgia, but see if you can get with Lee Weems of First Person Safety. Great guy, great company to train with. Knows his stuff from how to shoot to when to shoot (legal stuff, etc.).

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    When going to the range, don't get tunnel vision on making pretty, teeny tiny groups. Learn to be satisfied with hitting center mass on a target at about 7 to 10 yards. First shot in a self defense shooting is the most important. Train for that first shot somewhere in center mass.

Great advice, especially since many compact CCW pistols don't always give you the best grip for your hand size and sights are more for pointing.

Practice is crucial. Holster draw should be drilled in until it is muscle memory. Proper training will stop bad habits.

The first times carrying are awkward. After a while it is like wearing a watch. You know it is there, but it is not a big deal.

Very true as well. I carry a Keltec P32 because I can have it with me all the time. I can even carry it in a kydex holster on mesh pants doing yardwork around the house. It's tiny and light but does hold 10+1 and is never in the way.

Attachments

• P32.jpg
      P32.jpg
      89.3 KB · Views: 1,359

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I carry a sig 365 in a vedder light tuck IWB holster. I use a Kore gun belt and 12 round mags to get a proper grip on the gun and can shoot it just as good as most full sized guns.

For a gun of its size I don’t think there is a better option than the 365 right now. I would never open carry unless you are in a rural area where carrying a gun wouldn’t stick out as unusual.
    G43X in a Vedder with Nexbelt adjustable EDC belt. Ratchet belts rival any gun belt out there.

I love how everyone buys a small pistol but has to get accessories to make it bigger so they can handle it. P365 and G26 types come to mind.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    G43X in a Vedder with Nexbelt adjustable EDC belt. Ratchet belts rival any gun belt out there.

I love how everyone buys a small pistol but has to get accessories to make it bigger so they can handle it. P365 and G26 types come to mind.

The 365 with 12 rounders or the 365XL is still shorter than the 43x. As a glock fanboy it hurt me to switch over from glock but it’s hard to argue the pros of the 365.

I’d just carry the 365XL since I only use the 12 rounders but I bought the 365 before the XL was common place.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    I was once advised that regardless of what gun you get, when you first start carrying it, it will be huge, awkward, uncomfortable, and everyone will stare at it. This proved to be spot on in my case. Small and light weight is easier to get used to.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I was once advised that regardless of what gun you get, when you first start carrying it, it will be huge, awkward, uncomfortable, and everyone will stare at it. This proved to be spot on in my case. Small and light weight is easier to get used to.

wear it around the house for a month or so, until you get comfortable and stop touching/shifting it.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    The gun is not so important. They all do the same thing. You will want to get comfortable carrying the gun in a safe fashion, accessing it in a safe fashion and reholstering it in a safe fashion. That would mean train8ng, training and training. shooting, drills, draws, etc. until you have the degree of comfort you won’t hurt yourself or someone unintended. Find a trainer you like and work with him and her for a while. Read ayoob’s book, in the gravest extreme, and then reread it. I have been a lawyer for 46 years and i still read that book. Shoot, shoot and shoot. Again, get yourself comfortable carrying a loaded gun on your person. And get yourself a real good holster. Don’t skimp. Stays open at the top when the gun is withdrawn and covers the trigger and trigger guard. And expect to change holsters and how you carry.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Worst recommendation ever. I'm guessing you're being sarcastic.

Sorry forgot the sarcastic emoji thing.

I like my .38 snubby, but I don't carry. S&W chiefs special is pretty small and if you bob the hammer it won't snag. It can handle +p but only for occasional defensive use.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    The gun is not so important. They all do the same thing. You will want to get comfortable carrying the gun in a safe fashion, accessing it in a safe fashion and reholstering it in a safe fashion. That would mean train8ng, training and training. shooting, drills, draws, etc. until you have the degree of comfort you won’t hurt yourself or someone unintended. Find a trainer you like and work with him and her for a while. Read ayoob’s book, in the gravest extreme, and then reread it. I have been a lawyer for 46 years and i still read that book. Shoot, shoot and shoot. Again, get yourself comfortable carrying a loaded gun on your person. And get yourself a real good holster. Don’t skimp. Stays open at the top when the gun is withdrawn and covers the trigger and trigger guard. And expect to change holsters and how you carry.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Get a quality gun belt, it makes wearing so much more comfortable. Remember that a belt is a wear item, it'll need to be replaced in a couple years. Get a nice kodex holster, they keep shape to make reholstering easier. Practicing drawing and holstering. Remember you'll need longer shirts to keep concealed.

Think your gun choice through carefully. I'm a Glock guy because that's what I carry at work. That said, Glock is a combat pistol. It works dirty, and a carry gun gets dirty. It works dry, and a carry gun can get dry. A G43X is my next gun, because you can get a metal 15 round mag in the handle. I currently have a G43 and its a great compact carry gun. Glocks are simple, reliable, affordable and accurate guns. Lamborghini makes a nice car, but is not a daily driver...

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom