• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I would never shoot somebody over protecting property either. I've known too many guys who had to kill people in genuine, justified life or death circumstances who were just absolutely tormented by it for years afterwards. Believe me, lethal force is not something you want to use if you have a choice. However, I see a big difference between a guy who opens his door and just opens up on someone for breaking into his car, and a guy who goes outside to protect his property and brings a firearm in case he is attacked and does become in danger. And I think the law is going to see it that way too.

I'll tell you right now I have no doubt that if the situation is as presented in the press reports this homeowner will never be charged with anything. Nor is there anything to charge him with. As I read the story, he went outside to see what was going on with his car. He brought a rifle to protect himself IF he needed to. Perp came at him with an edged weapon and he was forced to defend himself. Good luck finding a criminal charge that can stick somewhere in there.

Just my .02.
    I agree and I hope no one tries to fabricate something to charge him with.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cryptoman View Post
    ....My personal feeling is that none of my property is worth taking a life.....

I disagree with what you say .......

I disagree with what you are saying about his post.

He is saying how he feels and his opinion, your statement says he does not know how he feels.

I think you are saying you do not feel the same way which is your full right. It just did not come out that way.

In current society, I myself am not prepared to kill a man over minor property where myself and none of my family is in immediate reasonable harm. (ie guy breaking into my car for example). If you feel that you would, that's your right to feel that way. If someone was breaking into my car, would I arm myself before confronting them, Yes, If I could reasonably grab one of my firearms. More likely, yelling from the door would scare them off. In my case, very little of value is left in my car.

However, someone touches my kids or my wife on my property and I feel they are in harms way and I will end that person!
    Breaking into my home (my enclosed garage is my home) is a different story, the firearm will be discharged.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Quote:

He is saying how he feels and his opinion, your statement says he does not know how he feels.

I think you are saying you do not feel the same way which is your full right. It just did not come out that way.

In current society, I myself am not prepared to kill a man over minor property where myself and none of my family is in immediate reasonable harm. (ie guy breaking into my car for example). If you feel that you would, that's your right to feel that way. If someone was breaking into my car, would I arm myself before confronting them, Yes, If I could reasonably grab one of my firearms. More likely, yelling from the door would scare them off. In my case, very little of value is left in my car.

However, someone touches my kids or my wife on my property and I feel they are in harms way and I will end that person!
    Breaking into my home (my enclosed garage is my home) is a different story, the firearm will be discharged.

There is major distinction here that has already been made in several posts. The homeowner did not seem to be looking to hurt someone over property.
    He only meant to investigate while taking proper precautions (a gun) to defense himself "just in case."

To me, he took the most prudent route. There are a millions different ways this could have been handled. The 2 extreme opposite reactions on either side of what actually happened would be to stay inside and call 911 or just shoot at the burglar immediately. The latter would be a very bad idea. It would also be more akin to a situation that represents what yourself and cryptoman are talking about, in reference to taking a life over property.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    That's o.k., you are not the only one that does not agree with me. To me, protecting personal property with deadly force equates to putting a price on a human life which I am not prepared to do.

The government has put a price on human life.

Having grown up on military bases and living outside of them for a majority of my life I am used to seeing signs of "Use of deadly force is authorized".

If the government can protect their (really our) property why can't I protect my personal property?

Didn't DC just extend the right to self defense to include your property outside the home for reasons like this?

I remember way back reading a story of a similar situation where the homeowner saw someone breaking into his car and wrecked him with a 12 gauge. But the homeowner was not in imminent danger so he was charged with murder. This is a bit different since there was an attempted attack by the perp/twat. I love and cherish my car but not sure I'd be willing to shoot someone over it.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Article I read said the homeowner was cut on his hand. Sounds like it was a close call and he is lucky to be alive.

If I being assaulted with a deadly weapon I would act assertively to defend myself.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The article says "knife or screwdriver."

This article also says:
    "A man saw someone breaking into his car, so he takes a rifle and goes outside to confront the suspect. The suspect takes a sharp object, perhaps a knife or screwdriver, (and) swipes it at the man, cutting his hand. The man then fires one shot, striking the suspect," Baltimore County police Cpl. John Wachter said.
    http://www.wbaltv.com/article/man-shoots-suspect-trying-to-break-into-his-car-police-say/8502996

emphasis mine.

remember in MD, it's important to get cut at least once to prove the threat was real. :sarcasm:

On the one hand, drawing blood means the likelihood of charges is very low.

One the other hand, hmmmm. that guy got pretty close. I am imagining holding a rifle and getting cut on the hand. The teen got shot in the upper arm, seems consistent with a very close encounter. Forget charges, I see two people lucky to be alive.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Article I read said the homeowner was cut on his hand. Sounds like it was a close call and he is lucky to be alive.

If I being assaulted with a deadly weapon I would act assertively to defend myself.

Moreover, he was taking a look with a flashlight, and lucky for him (and always an option when on your own property), there happened to be a gun attached to the flashlight. :thumbsup:

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I believe Colorado has laws allowing for the use of deadly force in the protection of property. Some states do "get it" to varying degrees.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    That says legal in defense of oneself or property

There is no disparity of force, real or imagined. Someone can kill you quite quickly by plunging a screwdriver into your head. I'd say it's a good shoot. (That doesn't mean some asshat SA won't go after him)
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I don't see killing a person as putting a value on their life personally. The person engaging in the criminal activity has put a value on their own life. The value is the value of whatever they're trying to steal. You simply are calling them on it.

Let criminals act with impunity and see society self-destruct.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Baltimore County has a good State's Attorney and Deputies. I'm sure they will make the right call.

Just an FYI, their deputies don't generally engage in law enforcement duties. They're basically courthouse security and serve orders and warrants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Quote:

In current society, I my self am not prepared to kill a man over minor property where myself and none of my family is in immediate reasonable harm. (ie guy breaking into my car for example). If you feel that you would, that's your right to feel that way. If someone was breaking into my car, would I arm myself before confronting them, Yes, If I could reasonably grab one of my firearms. More likely, yelling from the door would scare them off. In my case, very little of value is left in my car.

Bolded 1: lolwut?

I would no more try to tell someone else how they feel about something, than I would try to teach a hildebeast to be a gracious loser. cryptoman stated property was not worth taking a life and I stated I disagreed with that (and I was too lazy to type the remainder of 'but will defend to the death your right to say it'). Simple as that.

Bolded 2: I have no control over you thinking "It just did not come out that way". I thought I was pretty clear in my statement.

Bolded 3: No, I'm not gunning down someone for "minor property where myself and none of my family is in immediate reasonable harm". I may arm myself and confront them, but I'm not going to shoot on sight.

I am not really sure how/why I got singled out, but that is my story and I'm sticking to it.

If you are in for my Mission BBQ/Tilted Kilt karma, great. If not, please enter so I will know you know I harbor no hard feelings.
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=203364

I am off now to donated blood so hopefully a sickly crook will get well and they will then come to steal my stuff so I can shoot them down like a dog. :D

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I would never shoot somebody over protecting property either. I've known too many guys who had to kill people in genuine, justified life or death circumstances who were just absolutely tormented by it for years afterwards. Believe me, lethal force is not something you want to use if you have a choice. However, I see a big difference between a guy who opens his door and just opens up on someone for breaking into his car, and a guy who goes outside to protect his property and brings a firearm in case he is attacked and does become in danger. And I think the law is going to see it that way too.

I'll tell you right now I have no doubt that if the situation is as presented in the press reports this homeowner will never be charged with anything. Nor is there anything to charge him with. As I read the story, he went outside to see what was going on with his car. He brought a rifle to protect himself IF he needed to. Perp came at him with an edged weapon and he was forced to defend himself. Good luck finding a criminal charge that can stick somewhere in there.

Just my .02.

If his system has a back-up, either cloud or HD, and his story matches the film, then he is all good. Either way I have no sympathy for the perpetrator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom