Any reason I shouldn't buy a K31 from SOG?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    After reading several threads here, it seems that the consensus is that SOG is good people and mostly sends out decent conditioned firearms.

Their K31s are currently $289, with a $10 option for handpick. I currently have one sitting in my cart, ready to checkout. The only reason I'm hesitating is because of their description, which is:

"M1931 K31 rifle. 26’ barrel, 6rd detachable box magazine, straight pull bolt action, very good condition. Sling included with rifle."

That's it. Compared to the descriptions that Simpson has on his site, this leaves a lot to the imagination.

What do you guys think?

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    I was in the same position recently. Ended up buying two from Simpson Ltd because I could pick out the rifle I wanted, and I knew the muzzle reading.

The upside with SOG is that you could pay 300 plus shipping and the 3% credit card fee and get a rifle that is $350 plus through Simpson Ltd. For me, I went with the safer buy, but SOG was real tempting. One other thing to consider, to get walnut, you have to pay an extra $20 fee. If I did not want walnut, I may have bought from SOG.

I ended up with a nice K-31 from 1942 with a muzzle reading of 7.52. The stock had a few dings, but it was the light walnut and it had some tiger striping. Price was $325. I also bought a cherry K-31 that was about 90% blue, had a really nice light tiger striped stock with very little marks for $495. Stock was considered "very good." The muzzle measures 7.54. Shipping was $35 for both.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    nobis1 summed it well. With SOG, it's still luck of the draw, but with better chances than other online C&R dealers. With Simpson, you're paying a premium for a very good description and photos. I would personally go the Simpson route. It depends on each person's budget and priorities.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    ... I also bought a cherry K-31 that was about 90% blue, had a really nice light tiger striped stock with very little marks for $495. Stock was considered "very good." The muzzle measures 7.54. ...

Wait What! They made cherry stocks for the K31? I thought I had them covered with both a walnut and a beech stock K31. Now you are saying I need to look for a cherry stock to complete my Swiss collection. Are there any additional issued wood stocks I should be looking for?

Any pics of the cherry.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    SOG is good to go. They are one of the few vendors where hand pick is taken seriously. That's a great deal on a K31 to boot.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Wait What! They made cherry stocks for the K31? I thought I had them covered with both a walnut and a beech stock K31. Now you are saying I need to look for a cherry stock to complete my Swiss collection. Are there any additional issued wood stocks I should be looking for?

Any pics of the cherry.

I think he meant cherry as is "really good condition" not wood made from a cherry tree.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Any pics of the cherry.

Where I grew up, "cherry" is slang for "like new". I assume that's what he means.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Alright guys, thank you very much for the responses. I decided to go the handpick route with SOG. Fingers crossed!

Of course, I'll certainly post pics when it arrives!

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Where I grew up, "cherry" is slang for "like new". I assume that's what he means.

Exactly right. The stock was better than most I have seen for a K-31. Light color, tiger striping and not beat to hell. Rifle also has a tight muzzle, strong rifling and most of the bluing is intact.

Basically, I paid a premium to insure a really nice rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom