HQL required for ALL regulated gun owners?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Apologies if this is a dupe, but what gives with this from the MSP Licensing Division website?

"If you own a regulated firearm prior to October 1, 2013, you must apply for the Handgun Qualification License. However, you are exempt from the training component."

A friend of mine pointed this out and I had to read it about 30 times. I assume it's missing a relevant clause in there, like "and wish to buy a regulated firearm after Oct. 1".

See:

http://mdsp.org/Organization/Suppor...ion/Training/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Even "If you owned a regulated firearm prior to October 1, 2013, you must apply for the Handgun Qualification License" doesn't really change the meaning without the context of actually wanting to purchase a handgun after Oct. 1.

I used to get mad when people who haven't been paying attention would ask uninformed questions about the new laws, but after reading MSPs actual website I have more sympathy.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    This falls under the training section for HQL, not under the general information section. That page is found here: http://mdsp.org/Organization/Suppor...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

While I understand the confusion due to lack of clarity, the question asked by the OP doesn't make sense. Let's say my only gun is a regulated firearm, and I sell that prior to 10/1. Why would I have to get the HQL if I don't own any guns?

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    This falls under the training section for HQL, not under the general information section. That page is found here: http://mdsp.org/Organization/Suppor...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

While I understand the confusion due to lack of clarity, the question asked by the OP doesn't make sense. Let's say my only gun is a regulated firearm, and I sell that prior to 10/1. Why would I have to get the HQL if I don't own any guns?

That's a good point--"owned" would actually imply that anyone who had ever owned a regulated firearm in MD at any point would need an HQL, perhaps even including the deceased.:D

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    An HQL is required for anyone that wants to PURCHASE a handgun: clowns, priests, CCW holders, Frosh, current regulated firearms owners, Democrats, commies....anyone

That being said, anyone, including current regulated firearms owners, needs an HQL to PURCHASE a handgun. If your HQL expires, you can still keep what you have because the HQL is for the PURCHASE of handguns.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    "An HQL is required for anyone that wants to PURCHASE a handgun: clowns, priests, CCW holders, Frosh, current regulated firearms owners, Democrats, commies....anyone"

Everyone but criminals :gun2:

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Well, not everybody . . .

An HQL is required for anyone that wants to PURCHASE a handgun: clowns, priests, CCW holders, Frosh, current regulated firearms owners, Democrats, commies....anyone

For those who may be tuning in late, it should be clarified that the HQL requirement (to purchase or otherwise receive a handgun) does not apply to everyone -- there are three classes of persons who are exempted.

They are: (1) "A licensed firearms manufacturer." (2) "A law enforcement officer or person who is retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency . . .", a provision that MSP interprets to apply to "any law enforcement in the United States." (3) "A member or retired member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard." (The scope of this exception is discussed in other threads.)

In addition, there are two classes of handguns that SB 281 exempts from the HQL license requirement:

(1) "an antique," which (to over-simplify slightly) refers to firearms manufactured before 1899 OR that do not fire fixed ammunition (e.g., muzzle-loaders). Since such guns are not regulated for transfer purposes in Maryland in the first place, this exception is of no importance.

(2) any handgun "defined in federal law or in determinations published by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives" as a "curio, or relic firearm." Handguns that were manufactured more than 50 years ago are defined in federal law as "curios and relics" (C&R). Also so classified are a small number of models, mostly collector items, manufactured more recently and specifically given C&R status by ATF. This exception to the HQL requirement has nothing whatever to do with the Federal Firearms License type 03 (Collector of Curios & Relics), and should not be confused therewith. Possession or non-possession of an FFL-C&R is entirely irrelevant to the HQL exception for these handguns.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    For those who may be tuning in late, it should be clarified that the HQL requirement (to purchase or otherwise receive a handgun) does not apply to everyone -- there are three classes of persons who are exempted.

They are: (1) "A licensed firearms manufacturer." (2) "A law enforcement officer or person who is retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency . . .", a provision that MSP interprets to apply to "any law enforcement in the United States." (3) "A member or retired member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard." (The scope of this exception is discussed in other threads.)

In addition, there are two classes of handguns that SB 281 exempts from the HQL license requirement:

(1) "an antique," which (to over-simplify slightly) refers to firearms manufactured before 1899 OR that do not fire fixed ammunition (e.g., muzzle-loaders). Since such guns are not regulated for transfer purposes in Maryland in the first place, this exception is of no importance.

(2) any handgun "defined in federal law or in determinations published by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives" as a "curio, or relic firearm." Handguns that were manufactured more than 50 years ago are defined in federal law as "curios and relics" (C&R). Also so classified are a small number of models, mostly collector items, manufactured more recently and specifically given C&R status by ATF. This exception to the HQL requirement has nothing whatever to do with the Federal Firearms License type 03 (Collector of Curios & Relics), and should not be confused therewith. Possession or non-possession of an FFL-C&R is entirely irrelevant to the HQL exception for these handguns.

You left out criminals and gang members.... you know, those people created all the "gun violence.":rolleyes:

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Guess I misunderstood something. I always thought they said hunters safety counted as the training. According to their site, it does not...

There was some talk of including that specifically in the legislation, but it didn't make it in.

At this point, though, the training requirements are undefined. If you can prove that you already own a regulated firearm in Maryland, the training requirement is waived.

henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    There was some talk of including that specifically in the legislation, but it didn't make it in.

At this point, though, the training requirements are undefined. If you can prove that you already own a regulated firearm in Maryland, the training requirement is waived.

Ok. Was wondering if something changed. Soooo thankful I am retired military. I'm just trying to get all my friends ready for this. They are the ones refusing to register anything. Not going to be good for them when they want to buy a new pistol..

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Sorry. I read something wrong.

Pg 28-29

(E) AN APPLICANT FOR A HANDGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE IS NOT REQUIRED TO COMPLETE A FIREARMS SAFETY TRAINING COURSE UNDER SUBSECTION (C) (D) OF THIS SECTION IF THE APPLICANT:
    (1) HAS COMPLETED A CERTIFIED FIREARMS TRAINING COURSE APPROVED BY THE SECRETARY; OR

(2) HAS COMPLETED A COURSE OF INSTRUCTION IN COMPETENCY AND SAFETY IN THE HANDLING OF FIREARMS PRESCRIBED BY THE OF NATURAL RESOURCES UNDER § 10–301.1 OF THE NATURAL RESOURCES 1 ARTICLE;

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281e.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom