• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Based off your videos, you seemed fairly impressed with geissele rebcg. Worth the money In Your opinion , or save some money and get a solgw /geissele/ bcm standard bcg?

I believe all of those were good bcg, according to you, correct?

I’ve learned a bunch from your bcg physical videos btw.

The Geissele BCG's I have inspected have been well done.

Full disclosure, I may or may not have some business with Geissele, so take that into consideration.

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    The Geissele BCG's I have inspected have been well done.

Full disclosure, I may or may not have some business with Geissele, so take that into consideration.

Geissele is top notch so that's no surprise. Chad I was on your Instagram for sotar and saw your listed as a master gunsmith. I have a buddy kicking around the idea of getting into a school for it. Where did you get your certification/degree at?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Geissele is top notch so that's no surprise. Chad I was on your Instagram for sotar and saw your listed as a master gunsmith. I have a buddy kicking around the idea of getting into a school for it. Where did you get your certification/degree at?

I'm apprentice trained. My mentor was a graduate of the Colorado School of Trades in the early 80's. His name is Scott Scharf of Scott's Gunsmithing Service.

I think it's proper time to list myself as a former Master Gunsmith. I have given up all other work besides the AR.

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    I'm apprentice trained. My mentor was a graduate of the Colorado School of Trades in the early 80's. His name is Scott Scharf of Scott's Gunsmithing Service.

I think it's proper time to list myself as a former Master Gunsmith. I have given up all other work besides the AR.

Oh cool, i know ScottsIs a masters in gunsmithing like any other trade that has a masters license where you have testing and licensed in the states you work? I've always been curious how it works since its kinda of a niche trade in the big scheme of things

Shogunade

Mar 21, 2020
    I'll tell you what. Send me that and I'll send you a brand new PSA premium phosphate BCG. It's been gauged, has new Sprinco springs in it and polish work done to it.

Sound good?

Stop trying to take advantage of a noob.

Why didnt you just spring a little extra for it originally?

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Stop trying to take advantage of a noob.

Why didnt you just spring a little extra for it originally?

The PSA was bought several years ago. I took advantage of the reliability service that Chad was offering and will run it with confidence now that it's been gauged. It was literally half the price of an SOLGW.

I have a couple of SOLGWs as well as Colt and Aero. I'm not against running budget parts. If I find a deal I'll buy. They serve a purpose.

My offer stands. I know some people are PSA fans and that's ok. As long as both people are happy with the trade that's all that matters.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The problem with PSA is that they're committed to low price, not quality. Some of their stuff ends up being okay, but it seems like quality control was done by a blind squirrel.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I have bcm in all mine. Never a single problem but I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for

While BCM and SOLGW make great BCGs...they are the exception, not the rule. I can bet that those will gauge properly and have that QC out of the box. That doesn't mean they don't have one that slips through the cracks. It happens.

With that in mind, price is not in an indicator of quality. Plenty of companies are putting out BCGs that aren't in spec, have fancy coatings that cause problems and no QC...and they are severely over priced. So no, you don't always get what you pay for.

I'll take a meh phosphate BCG that has been gauged and had spring/gas key upgrades over an overpriced turd any day of the week.

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    While BCM and SOLGW make great BCGs...they are the exception, not the rule. I can bet that those will gauge properly and have that QC out of the box. That doesn't mean they don't have one that slips through the cracks. It happens.

With that in mind, price is not in an indicator of quality. Plenty of companies are putting out BCGs that aren't in spec, have fancy coatings that cause problems and no QC...and they are severely over priced. So no, you don't always get what you pay for.

I'll take a meh phosphate BCG that has been gauged and had spring/gas key upgrades over an overpriced turd any day of the week.
    What did you do before you had someone telling you to gauge everything?

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    What did you do before you had someone telling you to gauge everything?

I didn't know any better so I just took what they advertised at face value. Then I went on the interwebz and listened to people that would say that they have a million rounds using brand X and they have never had any issues. Then I'd waste my money.

What do you do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom