• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How Long Did It Take TO Get Your HQL Approval?

• < 1 Day

Votes: 70 7.3%
    • 2 Days

Votes: 60 6.3%
    • 3 Days

Votes: 44 4.6%
    • 4 Days

Votes: 22 2.3%
    • 5 Days

Votes: 31 3.2%
    • 6 Days

Votes: 18 1.9%
    • 7 Days

Votes: 47 4.9%
    • 8 Days

Votes: 21 2.2%
    • 9 Days

Votes: 30 3.1%
    • 10+ Days

Votes: 611 63.8%
    • Denied HQL

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

Kalinka63

Dieu et mon droit
    Update:
    Thanks guys for your advise.
    Went by livescan agency and they resent it, the gentleman told me MSP do that all the time.
    I replied to the officer's email and told him the livescan agency sent it again to CJIS, I also attached the HQL code from the receipt and the officer replied.

Thank you! HQL approved.
    Now waiting on the card

Submitted 4/20/20
    HQL Approval 5/9/20
    Card received in the mail ?
    Glad to hear that you are on track, and surprised that they worked on Saturday.

Estirpe

Nov 22, 2018
    Surprised as well but it sure shows active and expires 5/8/2030,

Since I sent him my receipt attached to the email showing the HQL code authorization number I'm guessing he realized it was their mistake somehow, I also left him a voicemail at the office number listed on his first email.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Surprised as well but it sure shows active and expires 5/8/2030,

Since I sent him my receipt attached to the email showing the HQL code authorization number I'm guessing he realized it was their mistake somehow, I also left him a voicemail at the office number listed on his first email.

MSP does not make mistakes. I thought everyone knew that!:)

dmable44

Jul 4, 2018
    Submitted everything and paid 4/30/2020

Received a letter from the CJIS four days later stating no criminal record was found.

As of today everything is still “unchecked”

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Submitted everything and paid 4/30/2020

Received a letter from the CJIS four days later stating no criminal record was found.

As of today everything is still “unchecked”

Almost same here - did hql class and submitted everything on 4/26, received letter a few days later, status for everything except the first item is still "unchecked." From what I've been seeing here I expect things to get updated any day now. I talked to some people outside Gilbert in Rockville this past Saturday and some had turned theirs around in under 2 weeks, though they had applied a month before us.

dmable44

Jul 4, 2018
    Almost same here - did hql class and submitted everything on 4/26, received letter a few days later, status for everything except the first item is still "unchecked." From what I've been seeing here I expect things to get updated any day now. I talked to some people outside Gilbert in Rockville this past Saturday and some had turned theirs around in under 2 weeks, though they had applied a month before us.

Almost seems like it’s a similar process to buying a suppressor. No real rhyme or reason as to who gets processed first.

Rcbrownr7

Jun 15, 2017
    Annapolis
    processed in 17 days but didn't get sent out that week as it "must have been missed". So now I have to wait on them to send it this Friday, as they only are able to deal with mailing things on fridays, and get it sometime next week...so its still basically a month

Kalinka63

Dieu et mon droit
    Final stretch: I went to the LGS on Saturday May 9, filled out the 77R and the store submitted it. Checked every day since (I know, 7 days...) and this morning it went from “Under Review” to “Second Review”.

Does that mean that I will be walking away with my first gun on Saturday? Stay tuned...

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Just FYI for anyone who might be following this thread like me for the sake of setting their own expectations - I'm currently at day 20 and as of right now everything is still unchecked.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Does that mean that I will be walking away with my first gun on Saturday? Stay tuned...

Regardless of the status, I will predict that it really means you'll be filling out your designated collector paperwork to get it notarized and sent in ASAP. Then you can join the club that picks up on one day and orders one or more additional items that same day. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Here is the link:

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...singDivision/Firearms/FirearmsCollectors.aspx

For the section labeled "Describe nature of collecting activities:", simply fill in "For all lawful purposes.". Your local gun store may be able to notarize the form for you when you go in to pick up.

Kalinka63

Dieu et mon droit
    EDITED: I reread your post and now know what you meant! Your prediction may come true!

I’m not presently applying as a Designated Collector.

Regardless of the status, I will predict that it really means you'll be filling out your designated collector paperwork to get it notarized and sent in ASAP. Then you can join the club that picks up on one day and orders one or more additional items that same day. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Here is the link:

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...singDivision/Firearms/FirearmsCollectors.aspx

For the section labeled "Describe nature of collecting activities:", simply fill in "For all lawful purposes.". Your local gun store may be able to notarize the form for you when you go in to pick up.

Last edited:

Kalinka63

Dieu et mon droit
    April-May 2020 Pandemic Timeframe

The complete timeline

Fingerprints Thursday, April 9 (received letter Sat April 11 that no crimes found)
    Took HQL class Sat April 11
    HQL Submitted Sat, April 11
    HQL Approved Thurs, April 30 (19 days)
    License postmarked Wed, May 6
    HQL arrived Sat, May 9
    Went to LGS Sat, May 9 and applied for 77R (Gun ordered in advance and arrived already)
    Received email Sat, May 16 with Not Disapproved at 6am
    Went back to LGS, walked out with a new Walther PPS M2!

Thanks forum members for your direct and indirect guidance. I look forward to going to a range and getting in some practice.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Applied April 28th

NO MOVEMENT still.:tdown:
    I just got approved Friday and it went from all unchecked in the morning to fully approved in the afternoon, and you applied 2 days after me, so I'd expect approval any day or hour now. Turn times seem to be pretty consistent around 19-20 calendar days right now.

robchungus

Apr 22, 2020

Here is the link:

How long did your designated collector license take to arrive. I am almost at a month from when i sent the application off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom