What do I need to think about while getting ready to carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The world record bear kill for the longest time was held by a young Inuit woman who discovered a polar bear stalking/trailing her as she walked home along the edge of a frozen lake, at night, in the shadow of the forest to conceal herself from predators. She ducked into the woods when she rounded a bend and lay in wait for the bear following her. One-shot with a 22lr to the temple downed the bear which she then followed up with several 22 rounds to the same weak spot of the bear's skull when it was down.

I would choose the weapon that best suits your nature, regardless of the caliber. Or what anyone says here.

Choose a gun that suits YOU and what you anticipate. I don't reckon I'm going to get involved in a long-range shoot-out as a normal, regular Joe walking around town so I have a 380. 13+1 that suits me.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/be...-world-record-grizzly-and-more/#axzz6JhEfizau

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The world record bear kill for the longest time was held by a young Inuit woman who discovered a polar bear stalking/trailing her as she walked home along the edge of a frozen lake, at night, in the shadow of the forest to conceal herself from predators. She ducked into the woods when she rounded a bend and lay in wait for the bear following her. One-shot with a 22lr to the temple downed the bear which she then followed up with several 22 rounds to the same weak spot of the bear's skull when it was down.

I would choose the weapon that best suits your nature, regardless of the caliber. Or what anyone says here.

Choose a gun that suits YOU and what you anticipate. I don't reckon I'm going to get involved in a long-range shoot-out as a normal, regular Joe walking around town so I have a 380. 13+1 that suits me.

Yeah, well unfortunately no one is laying in wait for a lethal threat in the city to jump out and drill a small caliber into their temple at contact distance.

Try that .380 against a nice, thick leather jacket in the winter. But wait, you're probably going for a shot to the eye socket. :D

You know what helps most people(the untrained)? A bigger caliber.
    It makes up for them not being able to train 3 times a month to be skillfully proficient.
    I am not big on the bandwagon of "Such and such police agency uses X". But 1 thing I do know, NO police agency uses .380 for any duty weapon in their service. Must be a reason for that.

apdbobby

Jun 12, 2013
    Easton
    I carry different hand guns! Most of them are sub compact! Ruger LCR 380,Beretta pico 380, Glock 43 9mm, Glock 26 9mm and 27 .40, a couple of Kahr CM’s. I have a couple keltec’s PF9 is probably my go to for them.
    The one I carry the most is that little LCR
    I now buy pants one to two sizes up for inside the waist band carry. Really hides the imprinting

Ilexopaca

Mar 4, 2012
    Yeah, well unfortunately no one is laying in wait for a lethal threat in the city to jump out and drill a small caliber into their temple at contact distance.

Try that .380 against a nice, thick leather jacket in the winter. But wait, you're probably going for a shot to the eye socket. :D

You know what helps most people(the untrained)? A bigger caliber.
    It makes up for them not being able to train 3 times a month to be skillfully proficient.
    I am not big on the bandwagon of "Such and such police agency uses X". But 1 thing I do know, NO police agency uses .380 for any duty weapon in their service. Must be a reason for that.

Dude, if you think a leather jacket is going to protect you from a 14 round barrage of 380 at close range, then, well, good luck with that.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Having thought about it over the years, I have come to a couple of relevant conclusions.

1) Anything is better than nothing.
    2) Something small that I would actually carry is better then something bigger that would get left at home most of the time.
    3) While more stopping power is better, I don't know anyone who would stand there and say "Pfft that's just 22lr, go ahead and shoot me all you want."
    4) A all this may go right out the window with training and when i start to try out different guns.

Rob

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    +1 on that especially the insurance.

Pistol choice is personal. Obviously something you can conceal and shoot well. The pistol may change based on weather and clothing.

Understanding the law is crucial. Have a post shoot plan in place before you ever leave the house. If you have to shoot, plan on being arrested.

Practice is crucial. Holster draw should be drilled in until it is muscle memory. Proper training will stop bad habits.

The first times carrying are awkward. After a while it is like wearing a watch. You know it is there, but it is not a big deal.

I would find a criminal defense lawyer in your area and carry their card on you as well as a card from USCCA insurance (which is good ins.). I would also remember, once the GUN has been drawn from the holster in a self defense situation you will 1) need to call the police as soon as it is safe to do so. 2) If you did fire a shot say as little as possible and request medical attention, cops might deny this but, you will be in shock and you will need to have your heart monitored.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Dude, if you think a leather jacket is going to protect you from a 14 round barrage of 380 at close range, then, well, good luck with that.

DUDE. Your .380 will jam before it gets close to finishing a 14 round rapid fire.
    I don't wear leather.

But hey. It's your shoot. Shoot it the way you do.

Wardove

Jul 23, 2017
    Blairsville, GA
    Congrats on getting to Georgia! I was down there toting a Glock 20 open in my waistband for a special situation couple weeks ago. Would not recommend that much for comfort. As I flew myself down, I should have hauled my Ruger LC9. Get an LC9S and maybe even the pro model with no safety. Best gun for the money...power, trigger, ergonomics etc. Beretta Tomcat not terrible choice if you want one you can hide in your sock...or maybe even mask, ha. Would not do the ..25 caliber. Hoping to repatriate from MD to Georgia within year or so yet. If you really want the best and don’t mind spending couple hundred more...look at the SIG 365, nice little piece!

Dec 30, 2015
    I will add that holding the gun in a store and pulling the trigger is not the same as renting and shooting. I love the way my P365XL feels in my hand and like the trigger, but when I took a defensive handgun course from concealment, I found that I didn't shoot it as well as my M&P M2.0 Compact. Fortunately, I had both with me and switched the M2.0 after lunch the first day. To build the grip the way the instructor wanted was not possible with my hands and that gun. I wear size M gloves.

Congrats on getting out of MD and landing in Augusta. I was close to getting there too. It is a gorgeous area and I still hope to get there in a few years.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    Carry concealed.

If people can see your gun, you will be neutralized more quickly, and probably first.

Your idea about trying out rental guns at the range is sound, but really sit down and think about what you will be doing, and where you will be carrying, and take that into consideration as well. Consider your general environment (work, car, home, etc...) and your body type, before you choose. I'm kind of a hefty guy, so appendix carry is uncomfortable for me.

I carry a Sig P365 in a Vedder Pocket Locker most of the time, but if it REALLY gets hot, and I'm wearing shorts with shallow pockets, I can still carry my Ruger LCPII or even my Beretta Tomcat.

datamonk

Jan 26, 2020
    And yes, I am bragging a little...

Backstory: Escaped from the People's Republic of Maryland and settled in Georgia. Waiting on GA govt offices to open so I can get my GA driver's license. Once I have that I can apply for my GA carry permit. With that, I am pretty much good to carry anywhere south of MD. Also going to have my wife and son get theirs as well, just because.

I also need to get a pistol that is appropriate for carry. What I have is really too big to carry comfortably. I plan on hitting a range with rentals to help pick out a new gun.

While training is not required, I plan on getting some anyway. Legal/mental stuff. Also, i need range time to ensure i can deploy the weapon consistently quickly.

I am also certain that there are a whole host things that I don't know.

I haven't decided on how I plan to carry, concealed vs open.

Please give me some food for thought.

Rob.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My 2 cents. So when I went through my MD carry class somewhat recently, the instructor open carried. I asked him why. His only reasoning was that he felt it was a marketing opportunity for his firearms training business. He continued to explain that there is almost no other advantage to open carry, especially in a liberal state. I have been carrying concealed for a year now in MD where able and completely agree with others saying you don't want the attention of negative people that have no understanding of your wear and carry rights. Not to mention, if a real threat wants to harm you and/or your family, you don't want them to have the jump by any means. They are expecting you to be like the majority that has no means of protection. Having a few seconds to catch them off guard could be the difference.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    The gun and manner is the easy choice.

The hardest thing for me was mindset. Carrying is a mindset.

1. I am not going to lose this fight. Offense is better than defense. 40 seconds in to this video of the Dallas Police shootout who wins? Aggressor, be the aggressor!! Commit and be 10000% committed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpb-mtjN9q8

2. I will most likely be shot BUT I will also most likely will survive. https://heyjackass.com/ 2019 Chicago had 2754 shot with 2292 wounded and 461 killed. Make sure you get shot less than the other party gets shot but don't let the fear of getting shot scare you in to getting dead. I'm sure getting shot sucks but guessing not as much as getting dead.

Think of a small desk trash can fire and you have the fire extinguisher. You going to squirt a little here, duck behind the desk and let it roar up again or go at it 100% until the fire is out? Put the fire out!!

I already kinda have the self defense mindset you are talking about. At least I have been training that for the past ten years. I train in self defense martial arts (as opposed to sport). I really just view a gun as another weapon in the arsenal. And just like any weapon you have to train with it to be effective.

I just had an epiphany while writing this...

In my experience, one of the hardest things to train with a weapon is how to not use it. Let me give an example. Knife training. Put a (fake) knife in a trained persons hand and start sparring. Almost universally, they will try to use the knife to defend themselves. The will forget almost all their other training. Punches, kicks, running away, pretty much all other training, all go out the window, everything.

Ok. Now I need to figure out how I am going to train this. Everything just got a lot more complicated.

Rob.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    1. if you dont train a real martial art (one that is used in UFC) start now. defend yourself and defend your gun. wing chun and tai chi don't count. sorry neither does karate or kung fu. you could do worse than Krav Maga, many would argue that a combination of jiu jitsu, boxing and muay thai is about perfect.

2. don't be fat. this loops in with the above. if you can't run or get up and down off the ground in a highly effective manner, that is more detrimental to your survival in any encounter than being unarmed. its a process, start now.

Like Blaster said, the best thing to do with your gun is never use it. leave. diffuse. run.

FMD

Whatever you carry is up to you and what you are comfortable with but, for whatever you decide on, I highly recommend a KORE gun belt. I started carrying here in SC after I got my CWP about a year ago. I carry IWB with a Raven Concealment Morrigan holster at 4 o'clock and developed a lot of point tenderness on my opposite side hip due to a cheap belt. Once I switched to the KORE, it was gone within a week. Even besides using it for a gun belt, it's probably the best belt I've ever owned. Love the sturdiness and adjustability of it. Also have insurance through US Lawshield.
    Congrats on your escape!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom