• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drking2

Ultimate Member
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carroll County
    This is a great thread, just keep in mind a great number of people are allergic to bactrim and other sulfa antibiotics. If I'm allergic to it, I won't stock much of it.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Thomas Labs Supply. fish mox flex etc

Don’t think augmenting is on the menu

I use Fish-Mox-Fish-Flex because they sell Thomas Labs, but slightly cheaper (https://fishmoxfishflex.com/). The goldfish I won at the fair last year recently came down with something and I had to order quite a few bottles of pills for him. I also appreciate the regular packaging that keeps a low profile (so no one knows I have a sick goldfish).

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Good question. Procurement is the biggest problem for most folks. Sometimes you can find a prepper friendly doctor. May be tough, but doesn't hurt to ask. Veterinary supply shops should be a good source.

I keep a few antibiotics around for SHTF. You need a few to over the majority of scenarios you could encounter. You also need some knowledge on what to treat. In normal times people love going to the doctor for "sinus infections" and "bronchitis". They get antibiotics and often complain they aren't strong enough and didn't work. They don't work because 90-98% of these infections are viral. Studies show that even the bacterial sinus infections get better with no antibiotics. You won't want to waste your precious resources on these. If people have just a cough, productive of ugly stuff with a fever it may be pneumonia. I imagine if SHTF this will become much more common. That is worth treating. Skin infections are likely to be the most common thing encountered.

Doxycycline - This is a good all-around antibiotic. Great for SHTF because it treats respiratory infections, skin infections (including most strains of MRSA) and tick borne diseases like Lyme. Bad because unlike many antibiotics, it actually has a shelf life. I wouldn't use this more than 3 years beyond factory expiration date. Probably 5 years beyond expiration noted on the bottle. One twice a day for 10 days. Even though the recommendations for Lyme say treat for 21 days, 10 is sufficient.

Ciprofloxacin/levofloxacin/moxifloxacin - cousins, but levofloxacin and moxifloxacin cover more. Good for pneumonia, urinary tract infections, intra-abdominal infections (diverticulitis), bacterial diarrhea, and also treat anthrax, if that is an issue.

Bactrim (TMP/SMZ) - Another good "workhorse". If I could pick only one, this would be it. Treats skin infections (including most strains of MRSA), respiratory infections like pneumonia, intra-abdominal infections, urinary tract infections.

Metronidazole -Use in combination with Bactrim or any of the -floxacin antibiotics for penetrating abdominal wounds. Use by itself for parasitic infections like amebic dysentery.

Tamiflu - May be useful. I have it because I can, but probably the least important thing. If you have a group and the flu hits, quarantine those people who have it. If you have very young or very old folks, they may be worth treating. If I were in a SHTF scenario and I got the flu, I wouldn't take it for myself.

Shelf life on everything but doxycycline should be decades.

Just quoting this because I think its spot on.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Let me rephrase. I am looking for Fish Augmentin that are also USP grade products.

Thanks.

I’m not a medical professional, but the internet says that Augmentin is a brand name for generic amoxicillin. Unless your fish needs brand name antibiotics, look into amoxicillin.

Thomas Labs pills are USP certified.

I hope your fish feels better!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I’m not a medical professional, but the internet says that Augmentin is a brand name for generic amoxicillin. Unless your fish needs brand name antibiotics, look into amoxicillin.

Thomas Labs pills are USP certified.

I hope your fish feels better!

Augmentin contains a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium.Amoxicillin is an antibiotic belonging to a group of drugs called penicillins.Amoxicillin fights bacteria in the body. Clavulanate potassium is a beta-lactamase inhibitor that helps prevent certain bacteria from becoming resistant to amoxicillin.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    So, hypothetically, if I signed up with a telemedicine app and told the doctor I was sick and coughing up green/yellow gunk. Will the doc at the other end of the line prescribe antibiotics?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So, hypothetically, if I signed up with a telemedicine app and told the doctor I was sick and coughing up green/yellow gunk. Will the doc at the other end of the line prescribe antibiotics?

Depends on the doctor.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    What about sourcing IV bags? I think ringers is probably a good one to keep on hand. I once came across a Canadian home birth supply website that sold them, but I couldn’t find definitively if they needed a script.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Depends on the doctor.

I know of a healthcare provider who was doing similar for friends but was told by colleagues that the MD. BPQA has now codified that a "relationship" must be established between patient and provider for prescriptions to be written. I don't know if that was confirmed or not.

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    What about sourcing IV bags? I think ringers is probably a good one to keep on hand. I once came across a Canadian home birth supply website that sold them, but I couldn’t find definitively if they needed a script.
    This is like spotting a unicorn. One time at the oaks gun show a prepper booth had IVs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    IV bags hard to find. Rigs to deliver solution to pt still harder to find. Knowledge of how to rig same, IF YOU HAVE BOTH...priceless.

Alt B might be sacrifice drinking bladder and hose and use Pedialyte or Gatorade or Powerade and give pt an enema.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom