• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt_nelsn

Apr 20, 2017
    Hi All,

This is my first post, so I hope I'm in the right location.

I'm a little confused on DC law when it comes to out-of-state registration. To give you a little background- my grandfather passed away and left me with a pair of handguns. He lived in CT & never registered them, kept them locked up for about 20 years or so.

Now that he's gone, we're not sure how to handle them. I live in DC, the guns are in CT. If I were to register them in Connecticut, it would take forever & I would need to go through firearms training classes. It's also complicated since he is no longer with us and my grandmother has them.

I know typically if they were registered in CT, I would need to "buy" them and have them transported here, register, etc. But since they were never registered & there's no record of them, whats the best plan of attack?

I took the DC online training video and am prepared to register them here, but will they require certain documentation from CT or bills or sale? Or is it just a simple thing like getting them to DC and registering them here for the first time?

What would you guys suggest I do?

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Mr. Sykes is a SUPER nice guy. We work with him a lot with regard to transfers to D.C. residents. He is actually more helpful than the MPDC Firearms folks. No slam on MPDC, but Mr. Sykes is the one and only person in the District who can transfer a firearm to you.

He charges well over $100 ($125 last time I checked) a firearm, but he the only D.C. FFL.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Either way you need to go through Sykes. Since you were already a DC resident when he passed, even if CT law allowed it (e.g. A free state like VA), the estate couldn't leagally under Federal law transfer a handgun to a resident of another state without going though an FFL in that person's home state..

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    $125 per handgun is fvcking criminal. (So is only one FFL in DC)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    $125 per handgun is fvcking criminal. (So is only one FFL in DC)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a racket. Mr. Sykes is very kind, but his prices are absurd considering I believe his rent at 300 Indiana is nearly free. D.C. Zoning laws make it unconstitutionally impossible to run an FFL, hence his space at MPD HQ. Here's hoping Rubio's bill gutting D.C.'s firearms laws gets pushed through.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    It is a racket. Mr. Sykes is very kind, but his prices are absurd considering I believe his rent at 300 Indiana is nearly free. D.C. Zoning laws make it unconstitutionally impossible to run an FFL, hence his space at MPD HQ. Here's hoping Rubio's bill gutting D.C.'s firearms laws gets pushed through.

There's actually 4 FFLs in DC (Sykes included). My guess is the other 3 choose not to engage in the business for zoning or anti 2A reasons.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    May be the ATF can do the transfer - I am serious.

They hold a FFL01 and are located on DC.

Making government work for you.

Doesn't hurt to ask and then ask "why not" if they refuse.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Hi All,

This is my first post, so I hope I'm in the right location.

I'm a little confused on DC law when it comes to out-of-state registration. To give you a little background- my grandfather passed away and left me with a pair of handguns. He lived in CT & never registered them, kept them locked up for about 20 years or so.

Now that he's gone, we're not sure how to handle them. I live in DC, the guns are in CT. If I were to register them in Connecticut, it would take forever & I would need to go through firearms training classes. It's also complicated since he is no longer with us and my grandmother has them.

I know typically if they were registered in CT, I would need to "buy" them and have them transported here, register, etc. But since they were never registered & there's no record of them, whats the best plan of attack?

I took the DC online training video and am prepared to register them here, but will they require certain documentation from CT or bills or sale? Or is it just a simple thing like getting them to DC and registering them here for the first time?

What would you guys suggest I do?

So how did it turn out?

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    I know this is an old post, but.. It is my understanding that guns that are passed to an individual as an "heir" do not need to go through an FFL to cross state lines (presuming the individual can legally own firearms). So, in this situation the new owner would only need to register the guns with MPD and not have to involve Mr Sykes.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    I know this is an old post, but.. It is my understanding that guns that are passed to an individual as an "heir" do not need to go through an FFL to cross state lines (presuming the individual can legally own firearms). So, in this situation the new owner would only need to register the guns with MPD and not have to involve Mr Sykes.

Where is this onformation located?

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Where is this onformation located?

18 US Code 922(A)(3)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

(a)It shall be unlawful—

(1)for any person—

(A)except a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer, to engage in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in firearms, or in the course of such business to ship, transport, or receive any firearm in interstate or foreign commerce; or

(3)for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter;

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom