Quick question, do you have to inform you are carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MdGunFiend

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 26, 2012
    If you're stopped by police (non consensual), do you HAVE to tell them you are carrying ? or is it just good practice.

If required, can somebody link me to that literature?

thanks in advance

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    Not a lawyer but be advised that different states have different requirements on this. So this depends on where the stop happens.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    If you're stopped by police (non consensual), do you HAVE to tell them you are carrying ? or is it just good practice.

If required, can somebody link me to that literature?

thanks in advance

The way I handle it is, if ASKED,... yes. Otherwise,.... no. The mere fact you possess a wear/carry permit is usually enough of an interesting topic of conversation to get off with a warning, unless you've done something really stupid to get pulled over.

I usually show them the card with my DL, starts the conversation and lets them know (pretty much) I'm one of the good guys and am not going to cause them any problems.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    In DC does having a CCW exempt you from all their various ammunition laws?
    They have a lot of laws to trip over.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    IANAL. Maryland is an upon request state. You'd don't have to tell them there is a firearm in the car unless asked wether you have a wear and carry permit or not.

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    When I was still on the job I always appreciated it when the driver handed my the CCW permit along with the driver's license and registration. Right up front I knew I was dealing with a law abiding citizen and I didn't need to inquire any further. On a personal note, a CCW permit and a good attitude was usually enough to just write a warning.

MdGunFiend

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 26, 2012
    I'm posting in the DC forum so I thought it would be assumed I was asking about being stopped in DC.

But from what I'm gathering, DC rules don't state we MUST let them know we carrying correct

mumfrey

Nov 16, 2017
    Northern Balt Co
    I'm posting in the DC forum so I thought it would be assumed I was asking about being stopped in DC.

But from what I'm gathering, DC rules don't state we MUST let them know we carrying correct

Yes, you must inform if stopped in DC.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181205-161751_CCW.jpg
      Screenshot_20181205-161751_CCW.jpg
      100.2 KB · Views: 482

MdGunFiend

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 26, 2012
    It does note "in flux".

So if I get pulled over, don't tell the officer I'm carrying, but they find out I am later, I can just say it's in flux and I'm good to go?

For questions like these, I need a definite answer. But somebody above seemed to have the most accurate information, instead of this website

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom