• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigScout

Feb 3, 2017
    I'm looking for another 'hobby gun' and I'm looking towards a scout style rifle. I used to have a Remington 700 AAC-SD in 300BLK and I liked it, especially suppressed. I have since traded it for another rifle. So, I am thinking about getting another bolt action 308. I'm not looking to shoot the eye lids off of a gnat at 500 yards rather I'm looking to stay in the 200ish yard range.

I have heard and read some great things about the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle so that is one consideration. Another one I am considering is a 'converted' Remington 700 with the Magpul mag well. I plan on putting my Gemtech One suppressor on it, so a threaded barrel is a must. To be honest, I'm leaning towards the Ruger because I like the way it looks, but I'm looking for someone who has actually has some experience with it.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on the Ruger Gunsight Scout Rifle in 308? Pluses or Minuses over the Remington 700?

Any input would be appreciated.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have a Gunsite and love it. My 14 year son loves it as well. I run it suppressed with a Specwar. We consistently ring the 6 inch steel at 200. I have a lupy 2.5x scout scope on it. The rifle is a pleasure to shoot. I have never shot it for groups though. It will out shoot me. BTW, it very comfortable to shoot suppressed. Unsuppressed, it has one hell of a muzzle blast.
    It will be my hog gun in the future.

SigScout

Feb 3, 2017
    Awesome feedback, thanks... Do you have any mods on the Ruger?

Will the Ruger take Magpul mags? or just the Ruger ones?

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I have a the Ruger with a Burris scout scope on it . It's a great little rifle I shoot 175gr FGMM in it and it will shoot sub moa at 100yds .

The mags Magpul makes for their Rem 700 magwell do work in it , they work better than the factory mags .

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I would defer to Mopar on the mags. I have several Ruger poly mags that work well.
    The rifle is bone stock other than the ASR mount.

SigScout

Feb 3, 2017
    alright, last question (i think) about optics. long eye relief is a must, I get that... I know there is a split in the shooting community about illuminated vs not illuminated scopes. Personally, I think they come in handy at dusk... Does anyone have a suggestion on a scope in the 1-6x or 1-8x range that has an illumination option? I have a Vortex Viper PST and love it, but it is the 4x16 50, not exactly what I would want here. Any suggestions on a scope that won't cost more than the gun? I'm not a brand snob, i just want one that will hold center.

thanks again for your feed back, I can't tell you how much i appreciate it.

SigScout

Feb 3, 2017
    wow, I'm a little angry i didn't see that one....

mmrrrrrrr.... probably time to finish my beer and go to bed.

Thanks everyone for the help.

-SS

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I pondered all of them for a while. I wanted a rifle with sights and which was threaded.

Was very tempted by the Ruger but in the end went with a Savage Hog Hunter, it's not a Scout rifle so sorry if I'm pulling the thread off course. The price difference (for what I wanted it for) pushed me to the Savage. I also didn't like the weight of the Ruger (would suggest their polymer stock version to cut a pound in weight if you do go that way).

Savage has a Scout rifle I also would check out.

I would get the Ruger over the 700 conversion option mostly since I don't want a project these days and you never know what issues you'll run into doing that. Also, rarely get your $$ back if you were to sell a project gun. However, if you opted to get out of the Ruger in a few years you won't take as large of a beating I think.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Love my Ruger Gunsite Scout. Surprisingly accurate, despite the short barrel. The only negative is the action (Mauser) is a little stiff at first, but if you work it enough, it gets smoother. I was so used to the Remington 700 action, which is smooth as silk.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I have the Savage scout. It a nice rifle. Only bad side is mags. They are pricey and hard to find. But, that's the only one I have.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Ruger is patterned for AICS mags so the Magpuls should work.

Curious about this.
    A good friend has the Ruger Scout rifle, and IF memory serves me, he said that the Ruger has a proprietary magazine.

????? :shrug: :shrug: ?????

I thought that the Mossberg bolt action "scout type" rifle would accept AICS and/or M14/M1A type magazines.

ETA: I got some time, so, I did some looking around the 'net.
    From what I'm reading, the AICS magazines will/do fit the Ruger GSR rifle.

1895G might be a fun scout type weapon. http://www.realguns.com/archives/038.htm

they are short, but very accurate. sturdy and powerful. just dont try to run hot reloads in them lol.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/bigbore/1895G.asp

The 1895G is a fantastic carbine.

I've always been a fan of the .45-70, and IMNSHO, there is no reason to "hot rod" the grand ole "catridge", but, it'll withstand quite a bit of hot reloads.

I've loaded quite a bit for the .45-70, and they are quite capable of handling fairly 'stout' loads.
    (I've personally pushed 405 grain gas-checked, hardcast boolits to 1900 fps...... and NO!, I did NOT enjoy them!!!!!!) Ha!

This is another reason I say it's not necessary to "hot rod" it!

Last edited:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I have the Savage scout. It a nice rifle. Only bad side is mags. They are pricey and hard to find. But, that's the only one I have.

I helped my son get a Savage 10FCP-SR a while back.

I've read that the only complaints on the platform, is the bottom metal (mag catch, specifically) and the magazines.

Here is a company that I found has bottom metal and magazines, to convert the Savage to AICS (and/or Magpul) type.

Accurate Magazines and bottom metal:

http://accurate-mag.com/bottom-metals/

http://accurate-mag.com/magazines/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom