• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Hi guys,

So, I'm slowly trying to talk a buddy of mine into getting a shotgun for home defense. He's shot a 12 before, but he's a bit smaller in stature than I am, so he doesn't power through the recoil as well as I do, and the 12 I have is just slightly heavy for him on top of that. I suggested a 20 gauge or even a .410, but he understandably wants to be able to fire one before he considers buying, and I can't seem to find a range with shotgun rentals in the area for the life of me--at least not in those gauges.

I doubt he'll want to try PA, so does anyone know of a range in the MD/VA area we could try?

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    The issue you have here isn't the ability to rent, it is the ability to shoot shells appropriate for home defense. Most ranges only allow slugs.

Buckshot, birdshot and slugs will act and feel different.

Honestly, he may want to consider a different option for home defense. Maybe an AR so he can practice more and handle the gun better due to his size. An AR is completely appropriate for home defense with the right ammunition.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Prince George's Trap and Skeet rents shotguns but they're all like 28-32" barrels for Clays of course. They do have some semi-autos though. I believe they have both 12 and 20. It's also a great opportunity to get him into Clays!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    A 20, with the correct load, will do the job.

And he'll practice more if he's not being beaten to death every time he pulls the trigger.

And tell him he won't loose his man-card for shooting a 20.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    I've only shot a 20 on one occasion. When I pulled the trigger, it went bang and put a nice size hole in stuff. My daughter is 5 nothing and probably 110 and has handled a 20 without issue.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I would be happy to meet you and your buddy at the AGC trap range and let him shoot my 20 gauge. In fact, I might even sell it to him if he likes it.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Again, wow, lots of replies! Thanks, guys. :thumbsup:

Check out the machine gun nest in Frederick

Haha, they were actually the first place I called. I work out in Frederick, so I figured they were the best bet, what with all the cool rentals they have. Sadly, they only have a Remington 970, Mossberg 500, and a FN Semi-Auto for rental, all in 12 Gauge.

The issue you have here isn't the ability to rent, it is the ability to shoot shells appropriate for home defense. Most ranges only allow slugs.

Buckshot, birdshot and slugs will act and feel different.

Honestly, he may want to consider a different option for home defense. Maybe an AR so he can practice more and handle the gun better due to his size. An AR is completely appropriate for home defense with the right ammunition.

I'd considered that, as well, but we've shot 00 Buck and 8 Shot out of it, too, as well as low-recoil slugs. It could just be my 12, for all I know, but this guy thinks my .45 kicks, too, so... I've been pushing the shotgun angle rather than a rifle simply because of the cost difference. He's not one to spend money on something new unless he knows he likes it, and even then, it'd better be cheap. :P

Prince George's Trap and Skeet rents shotguns but they're all like 28-32" barrels for Clays of course. They do have some semi-autos though. I believe they have both 12 and 20. It's also a great opportunity to get him into Clays!

Hmm, I hadn't considered them. I figured they were a club, rather than a public range, and that we wouldn't have any kind of easy access. Maybe we'll give them a shot.

I would be happy to meet you and your buddy at the AGC trap range and let him shoot my 20 gauge. In fact, I might even sell it to him if he likes it.

Thanks for the offer! I might take you up on that. :bowdown:

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    The AR option is a good one. If he is not comfortable with a 12 then a 20 may be a great option. I would not go with a 410 though it should work ok. He may want to consider a carbine in 9mm , 40, or 45 as well

Sirex