Where to practice shoot my shotgun w/ own ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Carrot

Apr 22, 2020
    Hi guys, I just bought a new 20 Gaige single shot shotgun. where can I go to practice shooting with my single shot 20 gauge? I would prefer to use my own ammo as well. Anyone know of a place I can go practice shooting and let the wife shoot a few rounds as well? I see that most shooting ranges do not allow shot guns or bringing your own ammo. I prefer outdoor shooting. If anyone knows a place I can shoot let me know. Thanks!!

I live in Silver Spring MD.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Many ranges allow shotguns and also allow you to bring your own ammo. Gilbert's is more of an outlier than how most ranges work.

Many/most indoor ranges do not allow shot, only slugs though. Due to the possible damage to the range from the spread of shot.

Most outdoor ranges are fine with both.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Indoor ranges only allow slugs. Gilberts is the only one that I know of that forces you to buy their ammo.

Cyndy's Hot SHots in Glen burnie is open. I think thats the only one right now.

As for outdoor ranges, generally closed. If they are open its members only.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    What are you going to do with a single shot 20ga? Do yourself a favor and buy a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870, 20 or 12ga.

I hope at least your single shot has an ejector and not an extractor for faster reloads. I started out hunting with a single shot H&R 20ga when I was 10. Now that I'm a man I prefer a pump or a semi auto 12ga in 3.5"... my .02

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What are you going to do with a single shot 20ga? Do yourself a favor and buy a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870, 20 or 12ga.

And just where is he going to find one of these?

Have you been under a rock the last 6 - 8 weeks? The gun stores are cleaned out of pump shotguns.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    And just where is he going to find one of these?

Have you been under a rock the last 6 - 8 weeks? The gun stores are cleaned out of pump shotguns.

Not at the gun store I guess. Is a single shot 20ga all you can get these days?

I have an slightly unused Rem 870 20ga magnum I'd let go for the right price.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I also have a VEPR 12 I could be forced to sell. 2 ten round mags included. I may even throw in 5 rounds of 3" 00 buck.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Maryland Small Arms allows birdshot, buckshot, and slugs indoors.

Myrtle Grove allows birdshot on the shotgun range and slugs on the rifle range.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Hi guys, I just bought a new 20 Gaige single shot shotgun. where can I go to practice shooting with my single shot 20 gauge? I would prefer to use my own ammo as well. Anyone know of a place I can go practice shooting and let the wife shoot a few rounds as well? I see that most shooting ranges do not allow shot guns or bringing your own ammo. I prefer outdoor shooting. If anyone knows a place I can shoot let me know. Thanks!!

I live in Silver Spring MD.
    O.K. I'll ask the obvious.....

Clay targets?
    Paper targets?
    Moving?
    Stationary?

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

http://www.pgparks.com/1283/Trap-Skeet

Check em out once covid passes. Fairly close to Silver Springs. Shoot trap with your single shot.

No! No! No! Sounds like you want to try field loads. PG Trap and Skeet require target loads:

12 ga
    - 2-3/4"
    - 2-3/4 dram equivalent (Some Sporting clays rounds are 3-1/4 dram)
    - 7-1/2 or smaller shot. (8 or 9)
    - 1-1/8 oz load or lighter

International Trap
    12 ga
    - 2-3/4"
    - 7/8 oz - 24 gram
    - 7-1/2 or smaller shot. (8 or 9)
    - 3-1/4 dram Equivalent (1250 fps)

Reloads are fine if in spec, and used in your gun.

I am not sure the requirements for 20 ga, but shot size and shot volume are the same. Probably also limited to 1250fps.

I can't remember them checking ammo at the desk. I've shot there for decades, and have never been checked - but they know me. A new face, maybe, but unlikely.
    Rental guns have to have factory loads, probably purchased there. Prices are fine.

A note: shooting trap and skeet loads have a distinctive sound, and any type of field/hunting load sounds very different, and will attract the attention of management. One shell alerts them, two and they go looking. Yes, it is that obvious.

Also, competition and field guns are fine. No militarized guns, or short barrel (don't know the length).

Great place to shoot. Good folks working there. Follow the fairly simple rules, and you're golden. Enjoy!

O.K. I'll ask the obvious.....

Clay targets?
    Paper targets?
    Moving?
    Stationary?

All are clay-target games. Maybe patterning. No paper.
    Trap
    Skeet
    Wobble Trap
    Doubles Trap
    International Trap (check for when)
    Sporting Clays.
    Five Stand (heard a rumor that it is no longer there. I have not verified.)
    Pro Shop
    Meeting space
    Leagues

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    All are clay-target games. Maybe patterning. No paper.
    Trap
    Skeet
    Wobble Trap
    Doubles Trap
    International Trap (check for when)
    Sporting Clays.
    Five Stand (heard a rumor that it is no longer there. I have not verified.)
    Pro Shop
    Meeting space
    Leagues

I was asking the OP what he was wanting to do.

What/Where are you referring to? Sounds like you may be referring to P.G.??

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom