• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Thoughts on these? I was thinking about adding them to my delton sierra. Ive heard stories of folks having the stock ones moving

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Thoughts on these? I was thinking about adding them to my delton sierra. Ive heard stories of folks having the stock ones moving

I use them on all my ARs - I have had mil spec trigger pins slide out slightly during operation

they also help with keeping the pins from rolling in the receiver holes, which could cause wear

jakbob

Oct 13, 2014
    Glen Burnie

they are just finger rests. where the pins meet the lower receiver is a lube point, keep it lubed and you're good to go.

also, with the tension on the pins, they do rotate. if they are coming out of the receiver, that would be more of a hammer spring issue, as the tongue on one side actually sits in a detent on the pin. also makes it harder to pull out your trigger group to clean in there if you are the kind of shooter that puts in work with his rifles. just food for thought.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You will probably find just as many people that use them that don't. It's just another personal item for your AR. I doubt either side can give you scientific/engineering reasons that they are good/bad for your AR.

YMMV,

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    they are just finger rests. where the pins meet the lower receiver is a lube point, keep it lubed and you're good to go.

also, with the tension on the pins, they do rotate. if they are coming out of the receiver, that would be more of a hammer spring issue, as the tongue on one side actually sits in a detent on the pin. also makes it harder to pull out your trigger group to clean in there if you are the kind of shooter that puts in work with his rifles. just food for thought.

^^^ This. They are not needed. If your pins are walking, you have other problems in your FCG to address.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have one set. It came with the POF trigger I got from Joe Bob's. They're needed in this application as the trigger pack is held in place by the screws of the KNS system. It floats inside the lower.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I have a set, as they were a generous trade from a good member here. They look great on the AR.

I've heard them described as cheap insurance, but I don't think they're necessary at all.
    Plenty of guns in service being used to kick ass right now don't have them.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You will probably find just as many people that use them that don't. It's just another personal item for your AR. I doubt either side can give you scientific/engineering reasons that they are good/bad for your AR.

YMMV,

IME/IMO, they are a waste of money. I believed the marketing till I saw issues from customer ARs with them installed.

The design of the AR allows the pins to float. Unless you remove the FCG constantly which is where most wear happens, this rotation will never wear out the lower receiver.

KNS Pins require tools to remove them. MILSPEC Pins dont.

KNS Pins are softer than MILSPEC
    Pins which means they gall, and can cause decreased hammer speed, and failures for the trigger to reset.

KNS Pins should not be used with good triggers like Geissele. Email Geissele and ask.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Just because Geissele says not to use them has nothing to do with whether they work or not (he does not make any money on them). Most of the competitive 3-gunners I know who use Geissele triggers (me included) use the KNS pins. We have seen too many mil-spec pins come out regardless of the detents. I have been using the combo since around 2010. Just one less thing to worry about even if it never happens.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

YMMV,

IME/IMO, they are a waste of money. I believed the marketing till I saw issues from customer ARs with them installed.

The design of the AR allows the pins to float. Unless you remove the FCG constantly which is where most wear happens, this rotation will never wear out the lower receiver.

KNS Pins require tools to remove them. MILSPEC Pins dont.

KNS Pins are softer than MILSPEC
    Pins which means they gall, and can cause decreased hammer speed, and failures for the trigger to reset.

KNS Pins should not be used with good triggers like Geissele. Email Geissele and ask.

Just because Geissele says not to use them has nothing to do with whether they work or not (he does not make any money on them). Most of the competitive 3-gunners I know who use Geissele triggers (me included) use the KNS pins. We have seen too many mil-spec pins come out regardless of the detents. I have been using the combo since around 2010. Just one less thing to worry about even if it never happens.

This is exactly my point. Some like them. Some don't like them. There isn't any proof one way or the other that they are good or bad for your receiver. If you like them, install them. If you don't like them, your AR will function just fine without them.

Just another tool in my opinion. Use that tool if you want to, no big deal if you don't.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    If you ever blow a primer and have it lodge down in the FCG I hope you have your 2 little allen wrenches with you.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    I use them on an 80% lower because I drilled out the holes a little too big. Other factory lower has never had issues with the pin walking out so see no need.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have 1 gun that the pins walk out on. Put a set of kns pins and no more issues. All my other guns go without. Just have that 1 in the bunch and when it would walk out it locked the trigger up.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Just be aware on new builds they should be fine if it is a standard trigger. As chad said it may cause issues with drop ins. On older rifles and maybe on newer ones with poor anodizing, if the anodizing is worn or gone do not use them. Most of them are stainless steel which reacts galvanically with aluminum which means even though it is stainless it will rust and corrode and cause issues later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom