• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I'll double check w/ a dealer or MDSP in the morning but i'm curious if anyone KNOWs right off hand.

Do I legally need an FFL for a private sale of a long gun. To clarify, this long gun is a S&W MP15-22 (.22LR). No magazines over size 10 will change hands/ownership.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    As long as buyer and seller are MD residents and neither is prohibited, a F2F sale is perfectly legal for that rifle and those magazines. It's wise to insist on a photocopy of the buyer's driver's license and verify the actual license against the photocopy. If you have any concerns, do the deal in the closest MSP parking lot and give the trooper on duty at the front desk a heads up beforehand.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    As long as buyer and seller are MD residents and neither is prohibited, a F2F sale is perfectly legal for that rifle and those magazines. It's wise to insist on a photocopy of the buyer's driver's license and verify the actual license against the photocopy. If you have any concerns, do the deal in the closest MSP parking lot and give the trooper on duty at the front desk a heads up beforehand.

K. thanks for the feedback. We both have clearances and work for "the man". Have shot w/ him before and trust him well enough. Just wanted to make sure i wasn't gunna get in trouble for no FFL middleman.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Just ask to see his MD DL to see proof of MD residency.

There are a lot of people/contractors in this area maintaining out of state residence by way of OOS DLs

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014

Just ask to see his MD DL to see proof of MD residency.

There are a lot of people/contractors in this area maintaining out of state residence by way of OOS DLs

Good point. can't hurt. I know where he lives but that might not be the same as whats on his drivers license which is what they care about i suppose.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Good point. can't hurt. I know where he lives but that might not be the same as whats on his drivers license which is what they care about i suppose.

Yes, this is not MD law you are dealing with but Federal law prohibiting citizens from selling privately across state lines.

Good to take it seriously.

I don’t think it is too much to create a bill of sale that records your buddy’s MD DL, address and a declaration from your buddy that is not a felon and is not prohibited from owning firearms.

This document is your protection if the rifle is stolen from your buddy after it leaves your hands.

Last edited:

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Chances are a dealer and the MSP will give you the wrong answer. Rack and Boom gave you the correct answer and Rack some additional good advice. Thanks Rack and Boom!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom