• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Do any of you guys shoot a 225 grain bullet out of your 300 Blackout AR? Hornady offers a 225 grain bullet, but it looks like a long ass bullet. Cartridge Overall length is 2.250"; from what I can tell max for an AR to feed is 2.260". Anyways, that would pack a wallop!

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    300 blackout is and has been on my "I Want" list. I am thinking a new upper (which I can put on a preban rig I already have) and / or a bolt gun like a Ruger American predator/ranch whatever they call it; 16" barrel bolt action gun with a rail. Either would be awesome. One of our members let me shoot his 300 Blackout pistol and it had noticeably more kick than my 5.56 AR pistol. I think you could take down deer with that caliber no sweat.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    300 blackout is and has been on my "I Want" list. I am thinking a new upper (which I can put on a preban rig I already have) and / or a bolt gun like a Ruger American predator/ranch whatever they call it; 16" barrel bolt action gun with a rail. Either would be awesome. One of our members let me shoot his 300 Blackout pistol and it had noticeably more kick than my 5.56 AR pistol. I think you could take down deer with that caliber no sweat.

You can put a .300 BLK upper on a post ban lower too.....

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Windham Weaponry 300 upper plus BCG and CH already have on hand (and they have a 15% discount on that)
    https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/collections/tax-time/products/ur16ft-300

Brownells 300 Upper upper plus BCG and CH already have on hand
    http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...or-bcg-300-blk-sku100023020-97307-191901.aspx

Ruger 300 Bolt Gun
    http://www.jlowesguns.com/Ruger-6970-American-Ranch-Cmpt-Bolt-300-AAC-BOWhisper-161-FDE-_p_263.html

The options for spending money are endless.

Why not build one? A few friends have used KAK Value-Line barrels for their 300BLK builds and they are sub-MOA with good ammo. Granted, I was the one that assembled the rifles and was test firing the rifles, and I was printing sub-MOA.

OOS right now, but if you email them and as when they will be back in stock, they will answer you.
    https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-p...h/contract-300-16-inch-pistol-melonite-barrel

KAK is also the same company that made the 12.5" barrel for the AR pistol and some other barrels I have used in builds.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    My subs were using the Hornady 225gr Match round, it was cheaper and more available at that time than the 220gr SMK's. Never had a problem with them, used 220gr load data as a jump-off point.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Ok - I did a little more reading and maybe that bullet weight is not optimal for hunting; but I still think the 300 blackout is awesome.
    There are several heavy subsonic boolits that I would use for either self-defense or hunting... Lehigh Defense is one company that makes some really nice projectiles for the 300 and other calibers. Their heavier 30 cal boolits will cause serious damage, loaded at subsonic levels.

qorban88

Jan 11, 2015
    I've used the 225's also, but with a bullet that heavy you want to watch your twist rate. Be sure to have at least a 1:8.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My whole point was, it doesn't take 212 and higher to get good subsonic performance. They'll ALL go subsonic. They won't all go as far. 300 grains will be even easier to keep subsonic. I'm looking for subs that will carry further. 200-208gns.

If you're having good results with 220s, try 212s. Then try 208s. Don't be satisfied throwing giant chunks of lead and copper down range in the name of 'subsonic'. /Rant(not really a rant:))

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom