• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    I searched first and didn't see a post about this. Came across a news article and thought you all would find it interesting. Just realized it's a year old after I wrote this whole post, but still interesting.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/Oct/07/spokane-police-will-add-suppressors-to-rifles-citi/

Spokane Police bought 181 suppressors for the ARs carried by their officers on patrol, citing concerns about hearing damage.

"It's nothing more than like the muffler you put on your car," said Lt. Rob Boothe, the range master and lead firearms instructor for the department. "Probably the best way to say it, beyond suppressors, is this is an OSHA-approved noise reduction device."

Major Eric Olsen said buying the suppressors will even save the city money by avoiding having to pay for hearing aids if a worker's comp claim is upheld. And of course law enforcement agencies are "forgiven" the $200 tax stamp that us mere mortals have to pay, and their requests are usually expedited.

Maybe the government should listen and remove the tax and red tape to make it easier for us to get suppressors too - for the sake of hearing safety! Fat chance of that though.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    $115,000 divided by 181 rifles = $635.36/unit.

Still pretty pricey for a simple muffler, IMO.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Depending on what they bought, that's right about market rate. It's not full retail for the best of the best that's out there (those will run you closer to a grand) but it's a decent price for a decent can.

EDIT:

I read the article, and they went with the Gemtech Patrolman. Retail on those is around $830 or so, so they got a decent deal.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Depending on what they bought, that's right about market rate. It's not full retail for the best of the best that's out there (those will run you closer to a grand) but it's a decent price for a decent can.

EDIT:

I read the article, and they went with the Gemtech Patrolman. Retail on those is around $830 or so, so they got a decent deal.

Probably got a pretty good volume/LEO discount. Of course, saving the $200 tax stamp on all those cans cuts down the cost a lot too. Must be nice.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    As much as I want the hearing protection act at least these cops get to protect their hearing. Good for them.

Invicta

Sep 16, 2018
    “I had a couple citizens contact me about why the police are using suppressed rifles,” City Council President Ben Stuckart said.

Uhg.
    I would like to say that this may be enough to educate some people, but most of them will still refuse the idea that the common man should be able to own the scary looking metal cylinder.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Uhg.
    I would like to say that this may be enough to educate some people, but most of them will still refuse the idea that the common man should be able to own the scary looking metal cylinder.

Yeah, people tend to have a surprising ability to remain willfully blind to anything that contrasts with their beliefs, even in the face of clear facts that show they're wrong.

These suppressors will protect the hearing of officers and civilians alike. "But... but, scary silencers!" lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom