Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Optics
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

View Poll Results: Which you prefer:
Red Dot/Holographic with Magnifier 2 9.52%
Low Power Variable Optic (LPVO) 19 90.48%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 16th, 2018, 10:13 AM #1

Red Dot/Holographic with Magnifier vs LPVO (Low Power Variable Optic)

Just throwing out the discussion topic. I have heard that Red Dot/Holographic sights are faster than LPVO, but I seem to shoulder them the same. Insights welcome.

Q
Qbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2018, 10:19 AM #2
Invictus

Invictus

I have both and have timed myself using "up drills" a 10yds. My times are equal on both of them. Out further, I am faster with my 1-6 due to the magnification.
CZ Fan Boy
Long distance rules!
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2018, 11:08 AM #3
For great Justice

For great Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
I have both and have timed myself using "up drills" a 10yds. My times are equal on both of them. Out further, I am faster with my 1-6 due to the magnification.
Same, but add in a better reticle, and easier ranging and drop compensation, and it's not even close, the variable is better past 100 yards, and the lead grows the further out you go. I do like my Eotechs and RDS, but figure the large FOV, simplicity, clarity and light weight are kinda ruined once a magnifier is added. Low power magnifiers are a lot of money/bulk to maybe stretch a RDS out to 300 yards, even then, I can still hit 12" plates that far without the magnifier, as the image is a bit brighter without the extra lenses in the way. Shooting a 1-X close takes a little getting used to, but there isn't a huge difference with some of the faster reticles, especially with daylight bright illumination.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2018, 11:46 AM #4
Jew with a Gun

Jew with a Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
Same, but add in a better reticle, and easier ranging and drop compensation, and it's not even close, the variable is better past 100 yards, and the lead grows the further out you go. I do like my Eotechs and RDS, but figure the large FOV, simplicity, clarity and light weight are kinda ruined once a magnifier is added. Low power magnifiers are a lot of money/bulk to maybe stretch a RDS out to 300 yards, even then, I can still hit 12" plates that far without the magnifier, as the image is a bit brighter without the extra lenses in the way. Shooting a 1-X close takes a little getting used to, but there isn't a huge difference with some of the faster reticles, especially with daylight bright illumination.
I don't disagree per se, but, for me, the platform determines the choice. BDC is great if you're not doing PRS for tiny groups; I run FFP/fixed BDC scopes all over the place and use a ballistics calculator to figure out my drop map ahead of time. For me, speed and ranging is more important than pinpoint precision.

But there are a lot of platforms - < 10.5" SBRs, pistol cals, and big bores coming to mind - where BDC does not map well, and getting much beyond 200yds is more like mortar fire than direct-fire. For stuff like that, I'd rather be able to mostly stay in reflex mode and be super-fast with the option of using that magnifier for the less-common longer shot. 3x is plenty of magnification for the realistic distances on those platforms. That's not a common way of looking at magnifier usage (most people want to use their expensive magnifier all the time), but it's the model that seems to make the most sense.
Old October 16th, 2018, 11:53 AM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwos View Post
I don't disagree per se, but, for me, the platform determines the choice. BDC is great if you're not doing PRS for tiny groups; I run FFP/fixed BDC scopes all over the place and use a ballistics calculator to figure out my drop map ahead of time. For me, speed and ranging is more important than pinpoint precision.

But there are a lot of platforms - < 10.5" SBRs, pistol cals, and big bores coming to mind - where BDC does not map well, and getting much beyond 200yds is more like mortar fire than direct-fire. For stuff like that, I'd rather be able to mostly stay in reflex mode and be super-fast with the option of using that magnifier for the less-common longer shot. 3x is plenty of magnification for the realistic distances on those platforms.

Some good points from everyone. This would be geared more to a 16"-18" (5.56/7.62) general purpose rifle.

Q
Qbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2018, 11:59 AM #6

I've used both. A samson magnifier behind an eotech exps 3-2, and holosun acss. I've also used a vortex strike eagle 1-6 and a primary arms 1-8, and have seen in person a few other lpvos (eotech vudu, razor 1-6). Imo the acss behind the magnifier worked great and really clears up the cluttered reticle at 1x in the holosun. The eotech worked great as well because of the secondary dot in the 3-2 reticle. The magnifiers make it easier to hit at range with the red dots but I like the lpvo's better, ymmv. Better target identification at extended ranges and easier wind holds (with certain reticles).
With technology getting better all the time with lpvos I am gearing myself more towards this for a general purpose rifle. Especially with the higher end lpvos getting in the 15-20oz range.
Silverlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2018, 12:00 PM #7
Jew with a Gun

Jew with a Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbeam View Post
Some good points from everyone. This would be geared more to a 16"-18" (5.56/7.62) general purpose rifle.
LPVO for that one.
Old October 16th, 2018, 12:05 PM #8
Invictus

Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
Agreed. I run a 36/300 zero with my RDS and am good to go on anything to 300yds. (Not including tiny groups) Anything past that or if I want tinier groups, I grab the variable scope. It's so much better for that. Having said that, I'll use both equally for distances <300... I do shoot the RDS a little more but that's only because I prefer that particular AR over the other ones.
CZ Fan Boy
Long distance rules!
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2018, 12:15 PM #9

I voted LPVO, but ultimately it comes down to intended use. I would like the option of removing the magnifier to save weight if you know you won't need it for whatever your doing with the rifle that day.
Invicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2018, 01:07 PM #10

I went with the RDS and magnifier. I move the magnifier between my AR and my PCC right now, but I shoot MOSTLY at 25 yards and at most 100. And in those ranges the RDS is MORE than enough.

I am planning on building a 224 upper or Grendel, and that upper will get a traditional optic, and porbably in the 3-9 range.
CelticBiggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Optics