• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I picked up a few factory second bullets for plinking and varmint shooting but i'll be darned if they aren't a nice bullet anyway!

Does anyone know what kind of bullets THESE are factory second of? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/7...ain-tipped-boat-tail-box-of-100-bulk-packaged All i know is they are "factory second bullets, 30 caliber (308 dia) 220gr tipped boat tail"

55gr nosler varmint ballistic 223 for size reference.
    43066006_2372412979465958_4045765489530503168_n.jpg

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I’ve had very good results with Nosler RDF blemished projectiles and would have no problem picking up some if these too.

Edit: Just ordered 500. I’ve got a bad 300BO habit.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I’ve had very good results with Nosler RDF blemished projectiles and would have no problem picking up some if these too.

Edit: Just ordered 500. I’ve got a bad 300BO habit.

haha they are amazingly fun for 300bo gong shooting. shooting gongs at 10-15 yards w/ 300blk is.. a blast (ba dum PSH)

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Well I just ordered 600. At that price I should have ordered more. Hopefully my 300blk likes them as much as the 220gr SMK.

If it helps any, I'm running 110gr VMax for deer hunting in my 300BLK. I am not experiencing any deformation in the tip, that I can tell. Accuracy with a poly tip can get tricky as you adjust the OAL to prevent the polymer tip from being deformed during the cycling.

Post up the results when you get some to the range, I'm curious as to how well a polymer tip 220gr will run in a 300BLK, in regards to accuracy.

Last edited:

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I can but i have no intention of trying to get sub moa groups w/ 220gr on 300blk. My load is going to focus on gong plinking at 25 or less yards, for poops n snickers. I do enjoy a small group and long range shooting but i dont see a POU for a submoa group for a load that wont be shooting past 25 yards.

haha odly enough, i'll be doing some load testing on 458 socom.. because thats a HECK of a punch, even at 100 yards.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I can but i have no intention of trying to get sub moa groups w/ 220gr on 300blk. My load is going to focus on gong plinking at 25 or less yards, for poops n snickers. I do enjoy a small group and long range shooting but i dont see a POU for a submoa group for a load that wont be shooting past 25 yards.

haha odly enough, i'll be doing some load testing on 458 socom.. because thats a HECK of a punch, even at 100 yards.
    458 is on the list of calibers I plan on building an upper for. So much data, so little time.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    458 can be a beast... aparently due to reverse engineering and lack of sammi spec... but once you get past that.... it's a riot :P

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Care to explain?

Let me start by saying, i'm going off what others have said and my exeriances w/ my barrel/upper. Take this into consideration as YMMV.

Apparently, manfucatureA made a chamber and someone else reverse engineered it making the chambers ALMOST the same.. but not quite. This small variation caused problems.

Here's a cross post to that thread: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=226594

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom