• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I did mine with new brass.

With a stock Rem 700 action and barrel, which are known to have LONG throats, the groups visibly tightened up as I the seating depth got less and less (long COAL).

This was with SMK 175s.

Are you saying that #5 looks best because the POI is closest to the POA? If so, I thought the drill was to find POIs that are most consistent to each other, not closest to the POA. Am I misunderstanding that or am I misunderstanding why you like #5?

I did tighten up the charges in the next round of tests, see Post 11. The POI of the charges in that test were very close to each other. While the groups don't look that great, (but 1/2 MOA ain't bad!) I hope the seating depth drill will tighten them up a bit.

Thanks!

Important- I was talking about the picture in post #1, not post #11

I like #5 because #6 also looks decent. However, #4 doesn't. Thus my choice of #5 with new charge weights leaning toward #6. That being said, #3 to #2 wouldn't be a bad choice either. Once again, a chrono would be your friend in choosing which set to test further.
    I was taught to find the most consistent POA to POI impact that also has similar ratios for slightly different powder charges. The thought process is slightly different powder charges are a good indicator of what will happen under different environmental conditions- temp, humidity, elevation, etc.

ETA- Reminder that I am not a reloading guru.

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    That being said, #3 to #2 wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Working around group #2 is where I ended up doing more work. However, events and PM advice from a Forum member has me questioning not the tools, but my technique. I'm going to stop fiddling with things and work on learning to shoot.

Thanks to all for the advice and hints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom