Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Eastern Shore
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 8th, 2018, 04:13 PM #31

I would consider driving down to the Outer Banks if the drive is worth the stay. If you are making a weekend of it the drive isn't worth it. If it is a week long stay Outer Banks is great.

Ocean City is crowded, generic, not many "family events" going on, has a lot of traffic, attracts folks I don't want to be around, and is largerly "commercialized" when it comes to food and entertainment.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who wish us harm." ---George Orwell
Name Taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 05:22 PM #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I didn't see anyone mention it... but Ocean City isn't nearly as nice as it once was (and it barely was nice a long time ago). Dewey Beach is great if you like the bar scene. Rehoboth Beach is great if you want a family getaway. Clean sand, clean boardwalk, clean main street... lots of fun shops, lots of beach shops, lots of restaurants, lots of arcades, lots of parks/playgrounds, good little amusement park too. Lewes is really cool if you want a smaller, more laid back experience but it is on the Delaware Bay, not technically the ocean.

Our family really loves Rehoboth, if you couldn't tell!

We’ve been going to Rehoboth Beach a lot lately. Also Virginia Beach. Kinda neat at Virginia Beach watching the Seals from Little Creek play their games in their rubber boats.
Mightydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 06:00 PM #33
2A TEACHER

2A TEACHER

Stay North of the 62 street bridge or bayside and you're gtg. We just went back on the 25th and had a great time. We stayed at the princess royale and had a good experience. We asked for a first floor room and were able to just send the boys out to the grass to play. The bar was right there too so I could grab a drink for the beach. The food was also very good.

Fish tales and the rope walk are two family friendly restaurants with good food, good drinks, and Sandy play areas for the kids. Avoid the boardwalk if you have kids.

Fyi, the changed the parking at the inlet to be automatic now. It scans your plate as you arrive. You need to pay when you get there(which we found out as we were leaving). Hopefully I don't get a $25 ticket, as I still paid for 2 hours, but for. 6-8 instead of the 4-6 we were there.

Go before June if you can help it and look up if there are any events like bike week or senior week to steer clear of.
Attached Images

"It's hard not to be a menace to society, when half the population is happy on their knees"

Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
smokey0118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 06:31 PM #34
Beer Czar

Beer Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightydog View Post
We’ve been going to Rehoboth Beach a lot lately. Also Virginia Beach. Kinda neat at Virginia Beach watching the Seals from Little Creek play their games in their rubber boats.
The last time the wife and I went to RB I got hit on several times by an unfavorable gender.

Another good place to go is chincoteague island. It's about 2 hour drive beyond OC and well worth the drive. It seems very family-oriented. The beach is on a State Park and very large. Bikes to rent along with good restaurants. Good choice between BnB or motel. For our 10th anniversary we stayed at a motel on the island and it was nice, clean, quiet. There were a few nice gourmet restaurants to choose from. I liked the area because there wern't drunken teenagers running around.

That would be my go-to if it were up to me.
Old June 8th, 2018, 06:36 PM #35

Just stay with Blaster. Pack your hollow leg.
outrider58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 06:40 PM #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbo6gn View Post
Ocean City is no longer a family friendly place to visit. Avoid the boardwalk all together. I felt like i was walking through inner city Baltimore the last time i was there.
100% truth.
mumfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 07:01 PM #37

I hated OC. I stayed away for years(after spending every summer vaca there with the fam at Castle in the Sands as a child) while my wife and her girlfriends went every year with the kids. I finally returned several years ago. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I stay around 32nd Street. As far as I'm concerned, OC has always been an over-crowded chithole. Nothing's changed except there's just more of it.

If you go, spend the money and stay someplace nice. Nothing worse than a crappy hotel or rental in a crappy place. Hell, we hardly venture out while we're there, save to hit a favorite bar or to go para-sailing. There's a pool bar and outdoor cafe and a giant kiddie pool with slides etc. I have a balcony with a large tanning deck and private hot tub on it. We mostly live on room service. Life's too short to stay in a crappy place. It's OC. Make the best of it

Has anyone mentioned the parking situation in Rehobeth/Bethany?
outrider58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 07:07 PM #38

I liked OC when I was a kid. In the 70s it was definitely family friendly. As years went on, the demographic changed. Last time I was there, and I mean LAST time, was 2010. My wife, young son, and me. We were on the boardwalk around 2nd-3rd street when a brawl broke out. 30+ pieces of shit deep. Fists and F-bombs flying. My wife and son were scared, hell, I was concerned. From what I hear, first-hand, is that that is a normal weekend night on the boardwalk.
mumfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 07:09 PM #39

oc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob finger View Post
I have resided on the ES since 2003 and by choice I have NEVER been to OC and am proud of it.

Thanks to this thread I have positive reinforcement of my decision and my pride in it.

OC is good for MD, all the taxes it rakes in. bob
I have to agree. Live near OC most of the year. Before july 4th and in September is fine. I love bike week in September. Just look in the calendar and if you don't like cars don't go to the Cruising weekends. Don't like bikes do go to bike week, and avoid the H2O weekend entirely. Have fun. There are plenty of good restaurants.
NRA certified Training Counselor and Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun,Muzzle loading pistol,rifle,shotgun Personal Protection Inside & Outside the Home,Home Firearm Safety,Chief Range Safety Officer,
Refuse to be a Victim Instr
NRA Benifactor/MSI/SAF
Utah CCW Instr
Maryland wear & carry permit & HQLInst
DC ccw instructor
also approved to teach Fl,AZ.VA.DE CCW
Self defense instructor
Professional Glock Armorer
IDPA Safety Officer
kenpo333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 07:11 PM #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
I hated OC. I stayed away for years(after spending every summer vaca there with the fam at Castle in the Sands as a child) while my wife and her girlfriends went every year with the kids. I finally returned several years ago. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I stay around 32nd Street. As far as I'm concerned, OC has always been an over-crowded chithole. Nothing's changed except there's just more of it.

If you go, spend the money and stay someplace nice. Nothing worse than a crappy hotel or rental in a crappy place. Hell, we hardly venture out while we're there, save to hit a favorite bar or to go para-sailing. There's a pool bar and outdoor cafe and a giant kiddie pool with slides etc. I have a balcony with a large tanning deck and private hot tub on it. We mostly live on room service. Life's too short to stay in a crappy place. It's OC. Make the best of it

Has anyone mentioned the parking situation in Rehobeth/Bethany?
I grew up in Worcester county and spent a fair amount of time in OC as a kid. However, I had not been in many years until recently. In season, there are just too many people there. But, if you simply are going to hole up in a nice hotel, eat good food, drink too much and sun yourself on a deck, well, I can do that plenty of other places including at home.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Eastern Shore